NEW Boilermaker Jazz Band CD: You Do Something To Me

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Albert System

#31 Post by Albert System » Thu May 04, 2006 6:43 am

Pittsburgh Post- Gazette, May 4th, 2006:

JAZZ

THE BOILERMAKER JAZZ BAND 'YOU DO SOMETHING TO ME'

The Boilermaker Jazz Band has become an institution.

It hasn't attained the status of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, but Paul Cosentino and the group are as polished and enthusiastic about keeping the swing flames burning as their New Orleans counterparts.

But this music isn't staid. Nor is it an ode to archival music. It's varied, featuring swinging, melodic instrument interplay, syncopated rhythms, accent beats and some old-time tail-gate trombones, especially on "I've Got To Be A Rug Cutter."

A touch of tuba would have provided the icing.

Cosentino found gold when he added vocalist Jennie Luvv, who brings a wonderful dimension to the band. She is featured throughout, alternating between the delicate "When Your Lover Has Gone" and the nuanced "Me and You," a tune originally written by Duke Ellington.

The recording swings throughout, beginning with "You Do Something To Me," a song originally written by Cole Porter in 1929 for the show "Fifty Million Frenchmen."

"All God's Chillun' Got Rhythm," features Mark Kotishion's playful piano. Demonstrating that jazz has no border, the group the completely recast "Brazil," infusing the tune with as much dissonance as the Boilermakers can muster.

Performing obbligatos behind Luvv on "East of the Sun" is clearly one of Cosentino's strong suits. And when he solos he has a steady, unflappable chain of ideas.

The group has continued to evolve since its formation in 1988 and "You Do Something To Me" is a testament to that evolution.

-- Nate Guidry, Post-Gazette jazz writer

www.cdbaby.com/cd/boilermaker6

Nate Dogg

#32 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Played a few tracks tonight, they went over well. Matt Jones and Bill Borgida are playing tunes off the album also.

Thanks,
Nathan

Cyrano de Maniac

#33 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Fri May 19, 2006 8:23 am

The album went over very well at a little informal balboa practice session on Tuesday, even better than the previous albums, which are among our favorites.

I'll have a chance to spin it for a Lindy audience in two weeks -- I expect it'll be a hit.

Albert System

#34 Post by Albert System » Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am

Thanks guys!! I hope you will find tunes on there for Bal, Lindy and Charleston/ Shag. That was our intent- a few tunes for each...

Albert System

#35 Post by Albert System » Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 am

And in the interest of fairness........ I give you this review:

Pittsburgh Tribune Review
May 14th

Come on, folks, let's get down to it. If you are billing yourself as a jazz band, play the music, not dance songs from the ’30s. "You Do Something to Me" besmirches interest in traditional forms by offering 17 pieces of old dance music instead of the New Orleans-rooted music the Boilermaker band can do so well. It also offers two remade commercials from Fort Pitt and Duquesne beers, two brands with all the freshness of the music. Naturally, the musical performances are good from the band led by clarinetist Paul Cosetino and featuring singer Jeannie Luvv. But that is about the only positive thing that can be said about this tribute to the cliche.

Bob Karlovits
Last edited by Albert System on Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CafeSavoy

#36 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Albert System wrote:And in the interest of fairness........ I give you this review:

Pittsburgh Tribune Review
May 14th

Come on, folks, let's get down to it. If you are billing yourself as a jazz band, play the music, not dance songs from the ’30s. "You Do Something to Me" besmirches interest in traditional forms by offering 17 pieces of old dance music instead of the New Orleans-rooted music the Boilermaker band can do so well. It also offers two remade commercials from Fort Pitt and Duquesne beers, two brands with all the freshness of the music. Naturally, the musical performances are good from the band led by clarinetist Paul Cosentino and featuring singer Jeannie Luvv. But that is about the only positive thing that can be said about this tribute to the cliche.

Bob Karlovits
Good thing the reviewer doesn't have a biased view of jazz.