The Y6A Lineup Announced!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

The Y6A Lineup Announced!

#1 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:39 am

As I said before, this isn't the best band to dance to *ever*, but it very arguably will be the greatest band *you'll* ever have the chance to dance to.

Oct 9th, Yehoodi.com marks six years of support to the Lindy Hop community by celebrating the Centennial of William (Count) Basie with a phenomenal dance gala, reuniting Basie’s music with the dance it was created for. The evening features music by Frank Foster's 12 piece Swing Plus Band, with spotlight tributes by veteran Count Basie Orchestra members and other jazz greats such as Clark Terry, Benny Powell, Irene Reid, Junior Mance, Dennis Rowland, Frank Wess, Joe Wilder, and Earl May.

More details to come, but the cat is out of the bag. We'll also be having amazing live music Fri and Sun, workshops, a panel discussion about Basie with some alumni and other experts (not yet 100% confirmed), competition, and lots more to be announced as we get closer. But rest assured it's gonna be amazing weekend of swing dancing and great jazz. Book your airfare now (and make sure to stay through Sun night...)

Once again, it may not be the best band you'll ever dance to, but I stick to my guns when I say "very arguably" the best band. Let the debate begin! (should I have said "very debatedly" instead of "very arguably"? LOL)

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:44 am

Kookookachoo!!!

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

julius

#3 Post by julius » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:07 pm

due to work inanity i may have to postpone my european trip from april-june to sept-oct, so i may miss this.

bleagh. oh wait, i'll be in europe.

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:20 pm

I definitely have this event marked on my calendar and hope to attend. Thanks for the heads up Dave, and congrats in advance!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Roy

#5 Post by Roy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:31 pm

Great line up, I'm very tempted to go.

Shorty Dave

#6 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:12 am

GuruReuben wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote:Pardon my ignorance. I just wasn't sure if New Testatment Basie stuff with Frank Foster and Neil Hefti arrangements was considered "original era music".

(And if it's not, then nonetheless it's good to know you also enjoy music beyond that specific genre.)
It's not though it's closely related, and yes I enjoy music beyond that specific genre. I've never said otherwise...

I'll be interested to see who the lineup is to see if it's the greatest band I'll ever have the chance to dance to... so I'll wait till then to get to the "very arguably" portion of your post. :D
falty411 wrote:Any money back guarantees?
Well after all the talk in my first thread about this, I've been very anxious to hear the thoughts of those that were originally skeptical. Reuben, in your opinion, does this line-up sound like something that'd be cool to you, or do Clark Terry and the likes not appeal to an "orginial era music lover" like yourself?

I hope you can make it. If you like HRO, I can't imagine not being crazy about this all-star ensemble.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:45 am

It's got me neither excited nor sickened, so I didn't comment. Consider me Switzerland.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#8 Post by julius » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:16 pm

Count me as skeptical (but openminded). Big names alone do not move me, particularly when they are really old and way beyond their prime. Clark Terry, for example, could barely play one song with Oscar Peterson last year. I'm sure the gig will be far beyond great, but when Dave Jacoby says "best ever" I just mentally translate it to "Dave is really, really excited ... as usual" :)

I think I may be able to make this gig after all. It's hard to plan so far in advance though.

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:27 pm

Haha, i can't believe that people could be hesitant about the band. even if clark terry is just there smiling, that's historic. are we so blase that even the appearance of great musicians at a dance gig doesn't get a rise?

julius

#10 Post by julius » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:32 pm

yes.

i'm not very inspired recently.

julius

Re: The Y6A Lineup Announced!

#11 Post by julius » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Just to be a butt and for fun, I edited Dave's post:
Shorty Dave wrote: Oct 9th, Yehoodi.com marks six years of support to the Lindy Hop community by celebrating swing music, reuniting the music with the dance it was created for. The evening features music by Harlem Renaissance Orchestra, with spotlight tributes by jazz players such as Ken Peplowski, Wycliffe Gordon, Wynton Marsalis, Duke Heitger, Bob Draga, Jack Sheldon, Frank Capp, Jay McShann, Dick Hyman, Howard Alden, Hal Smith, Rebecca Kilgore, Willie Murillo and the rotting corpse of Freddie Green.
Admit it, swingdjs would be more boring without the naysayers and skeptics. ADMIT IT!!
Last edited by julius on Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:48 pm

I'd piss my pants for Julius' band.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nando

#13 Post by Nando » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:49 pm

I haven't caught Clark Terry in about a year, but I've caught him doing Mumbles twice, and I'd love to have the chance to catch it on a dance floor!

Greg Avakian

#14 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:20 am

Clark Terry was great when I saw him around Christmas. He blew and sang and I love the fact that I got to hear him play before he passes on.

Dave, you've out done yourself again! Kudus for having the balls make happen what you say you'd like to make happen.

Shorty Dave

#15 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:27 am

julius wrote:Clark Terry, for example, could barely play one song with Oscar Peterson last year.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Are you sure it wasn't billed as a "special one song guest appearance" type thing by Clark? If not, then he must have been sick, which is too bad (for him and you). I've had the pleasure of seeing Clark at least on four different occassions, and he was always in great shape and did numerious songs; and on one occasion which was his gig and not a special appearance, he did two freakin' sets!!! And, in my opinion, he can still bring it with the best of them...still unbelievably creative, and his stage presence alone was overwhelming.