Songs for Big Apple

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:49 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
mousethief wrote: It's never gone from the Dallas scene for long, but now people are dead set on doing it "Frankie's version."

Kalman
You mean to Chick Webb's "Stompin' At The Savoy?"
You would think so, but if I played that, they would stand around all confused and peeved. It ain't dancing unless someone is calling out all the moves, I guess.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

julius

#17 Post by julius » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:52 pm

someday i hope to be cool enough to do tap shim sham.

falty411

#18 Post by falty411 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:53 pm

the past four times i have done the shim sham with frankie he has used the song Taint what you do by Lunceford.

When they say Frankies version, are they just referring to his version of the shim sham itself? Cause there is his, the original tap version by Willie Bryant and Leonard Reed, Dean Collins has a version, so does Al Minns. Im sure theres more out there too that we dont know about.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#19 Post by falty411 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:54 pm

julius wrote:someday i hope to be cool enough to do tap shim sham.
thats the best one!
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

wheresmygravy

#20 Post by wheresmygravy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:01 pm

falty411 wrote:When they say Frankies version, .....
The George Gee with Frankie calling version of "Stomping at the Savoy"

falty411

#21 Post by falty411 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:04 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
falty411 wrote:When they say Frankies version, .....
The George Gee with Frankie calling version of "Stomping at the Savoy"
cool thanks, dont own and probably will never own any of his albums. :)
-mikey faltesek

sonofvu

#22 Post by sonofvu » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:You should start playing the "Reunion At Newport" version of Flying Home.... all 8+ minutes of it.
Every now and then the DJ will play the another version of Flying Home(sometimes intentionally, sometimes by accident) The dancers will hear get confused, some of them get downright peeved.

It can be funny to watch, all the choreography goes to pot.

Nathan
A couple of months ago Jeramie played a version of Flying Home that had to be close to 300 bpm. I don't think anyone in Austin even atemtpted to do the BA. It was kind of weird for me because the song was vaguely familiar but I could not place it. It wasn't until almost the end that I figured out that it was Flying Home. Two weeks later he played it at the Houston Sunday night dance and we did the Whitey version of the BA with the jazz line and all. It was complete murder.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

shortyjul

#23 Post by shortyjul » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:47 pm

Jeep Jockey Jump ("Yump") - but it's only fun for the big apple if the dj increases the speed steadily throughout the song. That's ALWAYS a good idea, actually...

:-P

Nate Dogg

#24 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:59 am

sonofvu wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:You should start playing the "Reunion At Newport" version of Flying Home.... all 8+ minutes of it.
Every now and then the DJ will play the another version of Flying Home(sometimes intentionally, sometimes by accident) The dancers will hear get confused, some of them get downright peeved.

Nathan
A couple of months ago Jeramie played a version of Flying Home that had to be close to 300 bpm. I don't think anyone in Austin even atemtpted to do the BA. It was kind of weird for me because the song was vaguely familiar but I could not place it. It wasn't until almost the end that I figured out that it was Flying Home. Two weeks later he played it at the Houston Sunday night dance and we did the Whitey version of the BA with the jazz line and all. It was complete murder.
I was thinking back to the time when Matt Jones played one of versions of an Illinois Jacquet CD. It was a slower version. Obviously, there are a few different versions that would not confuse people (like the funked up version that is Yehoodi's Freaky Friday show).

The dancers were trying so hard, but the choreography was close but off.

It would be a cute thing to have on tape and play at movie night.

djstarr

#25 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:31 pm

mousethief wrote:
djstarr wrote:
I think if you are pretty sure that a group will do the Big Apple, pick a time when it would be nice for everyone else to take a break and watch (like after playing a couple of barn burners).
A couple of barn burners would clear the floor here (damn shame). Big Apple sucks to low-tempo, low-energy songs, so how does it help to keep it exclusive?
Not quite sure if I know what you are asking, but in a previous post you wanted suggestions on how to not kill the dance energy. My line of thinking was if there is a group you know would enjoy dancing to the Big Apple, and you know darn well Lionel Hampton's Flying Home will make them dance and everyone else watch, then try to pick a time when the other folks will be happy to sit around and watch.

In Seattle, playing a couple of fast songs in a row will keep most of the floor dancing, but the majority of the dancers can't dance fast all night. However, those that know the Big Apple well don't seem to get tired.....they would fully jump into it ever after some fast songs and everyone else could take a break and watch and be happy.

So I guess, depending on your crowd, I'd spin a Big Apple song after most of the floor has danced fully to the last couple of songs; i.e. it would suck to play a couple of other speciality songs (too fast or slow, etc.), then put on a Big Apple song.

I think encouraging folks to do dances like the Big Apple and the Shim Sham are good for the general lindy-hop community --- the more jazz footwork I learn the better dancer I am.

And the tap shim-sham is damn cool.

Lawrence

#26 Post by Lawrence » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Nathan
I was thinking back to the time when Matt Jones played one of versions of an Illinois Jacquet CD. It was a slower version. * * * *

That might be the Jacquet version that *I* played, actually. I also have a Bill Doggett version that frustrates those performances because they don't immediately recognize the song and thus don't get to do the Big Apple to it before everyone is all partnered up.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#27 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:45 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: Every now and then the DJ will play the another version of Flying Home(sometimes intentionally, sometimes by accident) The dancers will hear get confused, some of them get downright peeved.

Nathan
I was thinking back to the time when Matt Jones played one of versions of an Illinois Jacquet CD. It was a slower version. * * * *

That might be the Jacquet version that *I* played, actually. I also have a Bill Doggett version that frustrates those performances because they don't immediately recognize the song and thus don't get to do the Big Apple to it before everyone is all partnered up.
Probably happened to you to. I have multiple memories of the "wrong Flying Home" being played.