Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soupbone

#16 Post by Soupbone » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:55 pm

Ah... missed that thread. Thanks.
Gary

Spuds

#17 Post by Spuds » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:40 pm

Sweet Deal Peter.

Hmmm...I played Madame Dynamite at the Harlem Jazz Dance Festival DJ Battle and I lost BIG TIME!!

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... &start=120

I guess I gotta get a couple of tatoos. :P

Thanks Pete for introducing me to music by Condon, Dickey Wells, Don Byas, etc, etc.

- M

Greg Avakian

#18 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:26 am

Congradulations Peter!
SirScratchAlot wrote:basically it was tournament Ladder, draw your opponent, flip a coin to go first or last, and then you play 3 songs. thats it, crowd decides, split decisions are decided by dancers stepping to either side of the floor, to have their vote counted.

the last two DJs go to the final which is only playin 2 songs.
That sounds like a great way to run the contest. Was the audience into being so much a part of the process? I kinda get the feeling that people around here would complain that it took away from precious moments of dancing...?

SirScratchAlot

#19 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:Congradulations Peter!
SirScratchAlot wrote:basically it was tournament Ladder, draw your opponent, flip a coin to go first or last, and then you play 3 songs. thats it, crowd decides, split decisions are decided by dancers stepping to either side of the floor, to have their vote counted.

the last two DJs go to the final which is only playin 2 songs.
That sounds like a great way to run the contest. Was the audience into being so much a part of the process? I kinda get the feeling that people around here would complain that it took away from precious moments of dancing...?
Yea, acually it was a great way to do it, much easier the a time slot of lets say 20 minutes of going back and forth. (as long as somewhat standard length songs are used).

YES, the audience was very responsive, when they split the floor it only took a second and they didnt need to acually count heads or anything. It was an interaction thing ,If ya got something up in front of you thats exciting the dancers go crazy,especially id say in Europe, generally speaking ofcourse. But then it would depend on the event.

Not to mention the MC was Joseph who was putting on the event, he is a great MC , so that between the excitement sorrounding the way the music was being presented got the energy in the room high, and clearly made it an ellaborate event with details in decorations,atmosphere and Bar ,not just a typical camp dance.

I think these go over better with workshop,comp events then the "I have to dance every second exchange crowd"...generalizing ofcourse.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet