History label

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

History label

#1 Post by kitkat » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:23 am

Okay, so there's Big Band Box Set, Cradle of Jazz, From Swing to Bebop, The Duke: Edward Kennedy Ellington...does the History label actually have a website? It's so hard to figure out what their entire output is.

djstarr

#2 Post by djstarr » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:01 pm

I love google -- this is what I found: http://www.ejazzlines.com/byjazzcdlabel.cfm

Click on Past Perfect/History Records [Germany] - it has a list of CDs they issue -- guess the two record labels are related somehow.

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:16 pm

I've had nothing but good experience with Past Perfect. I think I have 31(!) CDs off their label, and they all have great sound quality.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

lindyholic

#4 Post by lindyholic » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:08 am

I wish I was never shown that site...when I get paid next week I think I'll be doing some purchasing.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:26 am

Actually, I'm waiting to fill out my collection with Past Perfect once I get better-recommended labels. I listened to 3 or 4 in Italy and they were only so-so as far as remastering quality. Not bad, but not something I'd rush to buy.

Now that I think about it, I suppose they're about the same quality as my History CDs. Just not as much of a steal.

Yakov

#6 Post by Yakov » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:22 pm

the original past perfect series is available at remainder prices at http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcom ... mania.html
now with track listings and details, for some of the cds.

better than the new past perfect series because:
- it's
- cheeeeeap

also: history = past perfect = international music company

Premek

Re: History label

#7 Post by Premek » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:47 am

I´m czech collector of old discs with jazz, swing and dance music from 20s, 30s and 40s. My favourite interprets are Lunceford, Basie, Ellington, Mills Bros and Armstrong, of course. Is here somebody to contact and speaking about collecting? Thanks, my adress is Premysl.Hnilicka@tiscali.cz

kitkat

#8 Post by kitkat » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:13 am

Yakov wrote:also: history = past perfect = international music company
= Jazz Roots = Jazz Portraits

They list different addresses on the backs of the CDs, but they've always got the same track selections, the same font/layout for the liner notes, etc. Same company in disguise.

I got lucky on my Hamp Jazz Portraits buy; it wasn't the same stuff as on my History disc of him. Not so lucky on the Krupa Jazz Roots--it's a re-ordering of the same tracks as one of my History discs.

Also, they seem to sell differently-packaged Past Perfects over in Italy than here. They look so much more professional here.