Cool Sounds

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Cool Sounds

#1 Post by Matthew » Thu May 22, 2003 4:19 pm

I've got a recording of "Hi Ya, Sophia," wherein Benny and Lionel play the same notes at the same time. The effect is very cool - it reminds me of little candies, perhaps Skittles (not sure how else to describe it).

What other recordings have unusual/cool sounds (however you define that)? I'm looking for sounds that aren't isolated incidents, but rather are repeated/extended. Thanks!

Lawrence

Re: Cool Sounds

#2 Post by Lawrence » Thu May 22, 2003 6:14 pm

Matthew wrote:What other recordings have unusual/cool sounds (however you define that)? I'm looking for sounds that aren't isolated incidents, but rather are repeated/extended. Thanks!
This one time, in high school, I took a microphone, and held it up to a whoopie cushion, and then I dropped some baseball-sized rocks in a bucket full of water, and I told everyone it was the principal.... :twisted:

That sounded "cool and unusual." :lol:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :twisted: :oops:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Fri May 23, 2003 12:12 am

But, did it swing?

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:36 pm

How cool is this?!!!

julius

#5 Post by julius » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:20 pm

Many bop recordings feature the players all playing in unison, if you're after more of the same effect.

If you want unusual sounds, check out Bubber Miley in Duke's early bands. He was famous for making weird noises on his horn.

mark0tz

#6 Post by mark0tz » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 pm

i have a recording of Sidney Bechet doing Tiger Rag and there's a really sweet sound in the background. I'll upload an mp3 w/ the sound.. hard to describe hrmm...
Mike Marcotte

Yakov

#7 Post by Yakov » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:45 pm

slam stewart!

ANY duke orchestration

SpuzBal

#8 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:59 pm

mark0tz wrote:i have a recording of Sidney Bechet doing Tiger Rag and there's a really sweet sound in the background. I'll upload an mp3 w/ the sound.. hard to describe hrmm...
Is that the one on the album Runnin' Wild? I've always wondered what that was.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Matthew

#9 Post by Matthew » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:06 am

Well, this one goes against my repeated/extended sounds request, but I'm curious about the sound. Fletcher Henderson's "Radio Rhythm," from the CD Tidal Wave, has an unusual sound at 1:58. Reminds me of somebody slapping the strings on a guitar, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Anybody know what makes that sound?

Jerry_Jelinek

#10 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:36 am

On the Ella Mae Morse hit 'The Blacksmith Blues' there is a sound of an 'anvil' in the background on beats 2 and 4.

The sound was created by Nelson Riddle (arranger of the song).

From reading some of the liner notes, they tried an actual anvil with a hammer and the sound produced didn't work.

So they experimented with a lot of different percussive sounds. What they found sounded the best was using a drum key striking a glass ashtray. The sound recorded worked very well.

There was one problem: after striking the ashtray with the metal drum key, the ashtrays would break after just a few hits. So they rounded up all of the ashtrays in the Capitol recording building and spread them out on a table.

Nelson Riddle would them hit each one during the recording with the drum key. As the ashtray broke, he would move to the next one.

Quite an interesting story.

You can hear a sample of the song at All Music Guide

SpuzBal

#11 Post by SpuzBal » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Matthew wrote:Well, this one goes against my repeated/extended sounds request, but I'm curious about the sound. Fletcher Henderson's "Radio Rhythm," from the CD Tidal Wave, has an unusual sound at 1:58. Reminds me of somebody slapping the strings on a guitar, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Anybody know what makes that sound?
I always thought it was just the piano, but now that I listen more closely, there's something in the lower range that doesn't sound like a piano. Hm. Now I'm really curious too.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

trev

#12 Post by trev » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:23 pm

Perhaps anything from Raymond Scott