It's bad... then INCREDIBLE!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

flyingcamel

It's bad... then INCREDIBLE!

#1 Post by flyingcamel » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:30 pm

Where do you fall on playing a song that is kind of undanceable in a few brief spots, but mostly downright incredible the majority of the time? To me it seems worth it for when the tune really kicks in! For example,

"Cotton Tail"
Artist: Dee Dee Bridgewater (along with a Who's Who In Jazz lineup)
Album: Dear Ella

Or do you just resign yourself to the fact that a great tune will never get danced to because of a few weird phrases here and there?

I am a new DJ and encountering decisions like this for the first time. I do have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised at how well some stuff that I was questioning playing actually has gone over.

They'll be dancing to Maynard Ferguson yet! :D

Yakov

#2 Post by Yakov » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:53 pm

i find that the don't-dance decision is made very quickly; if the first few seconds of a song don't grab them, they go sit and chat or hit the refreshments table.

KevinSchaper

#3 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:57 pm

That's how I feel about bass solos.. I hate it when it's an otherwise great song.. last sunday I saw a new-ish couple stop during a bass solo to get a drink of water, then start up again once the interestingness resumed.. that seemed like an awfully good use of the time.

main_stem

#4 Post by main_stem » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:21 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:That's how I feel about bass solos.. I hate it when it's an otherwise great song.. last sunday I saw a new-ish couple stop during a bass solo to get a drink of water, then start up again once the interestingness resumed.. that seemed like an awfully good use of the time.
Hater :P
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon