Hide the sheep, I'm coming to Texas!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

Hide the sheep, I'm coming to Texas!

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:53 am

Laurie and I will be teaching for a 5-day retreat center near Austin. We're arriving Sat. night and leaving a week later on Sun. We're staying with Matt during the weekends. I'm 99% sure we can sneak way from our job on Tuesday night to check out the Fed and I don't mind saying I am totally psyched to dance with the Austoin Lindybabes and hear some great music!!

Yahoo! (So to speak...)
Greg

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:36 pm

Texas only has steers and queers, donchyaknow. No sheep here.

They lied to me...

Kalman

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:48 pm

Greg, you really really shouldn't post threads with the word sheep in the title.

It makes me shudder.

Tina

p.s. Have fun!

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:51 pm

I'm still just trying to figure out why this is important information for Swing DJs... as well as a few other threads in the "Upcoming Events" folder. Hmm.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:58 pm

GuruReuben wrote:I'm still just trying to figure out why this is important information for Swing DJs... as well as a few other threads in the "Upcoming Events" folder. Hmm.
Greg is always welcome in Austin.

I am glad he posted it. I will know to look out for him.

Perhaps, the modertors should add a travelling DJ section. People go on trips all the time and it will facilitate DJs getting to visit with each other.

Nathan

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:11 pm

We'll be discussing a clarification of what "Upcoming Events" purpose is. This isn't the only thread I don't think needs to be here. Rather it would seem like something that belongs in Yehoodi's regional folders or Austin's Swing forum (if there even is one, I dunno.)
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#7 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:21 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
I am glad he posted it. I will know to look out for him.

Perhaps, the modertors should add a travelling DJ section. People go on trips all the time and it will facilitate DJs getting to visit with each other.

Nathan
Yeah, I agree.

It's funny, until Shorty Dave's post, I never even looked around in this section. "Upcoming events" seems underused and I can't think of where else any of us would let people know we were visiting.

I don't think it's worth advertising workshops and exchanges here for instance; the members are too few and too dispersed.

However, I do like the idea of letting other DJs know that you will be in their area. I love to get together with other DJs wherever I travel (and yes, we've already started PMing each other because of this thread) and this saves me the hassle of looking up each DJ I know and PMing them. There also might be some DJs lurking who I don't know to PM.

=============================================

Just curious if the moderators had/have any specific ideas for this section?

gatorgal

#8 Post by gatorgal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:24 pm

GuruReuben wrote:We'll be discussing a clarification of what "Upcoming Events" purpose is. This isn't the only thread I don't think needs to be here. Rather it would seem like something that belongs in Yehoodi's regional folders or Austin's Swing forum (if there even is one, I dunno.)
Not to be a smart a$$ but if you were visiting a scene and wanted to give a shout to the DJs, and just the DJs, where would you post that type of thing? If one of the purposes of this board is to exchange info and network with others, it would be nice to have an area where you could post that information and ask for help from the area DJs. Especially if you aren't familiar with who is in that scene.

Since we don't have that function, posting it in the "Upcoming Events" section is as close as you would get. Hey, it would be what I would do.

Could you and the rest of the mods please consider?

Tina 8)

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Haven't connected with the Larry and Moe yet, but my general thought on the matter is that this section could be for those soliciting DJs for their upcoming events or to discuss the various DJing aspects of their (or others) events.

Some good examples of this are:
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=583 where she's looking for DJs.
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=548 where he's asking what people thought about the DJs at said event.

Also, I agree with you, event ads serve no purpose here and I'd like to remove them if I get a thumbs up from a second moderator.

And by the way, your original post did not make your intentions very clear at all. It just sounded like every other post on Yehoodi about someone coming to town on business who wanted to get away to dance at the local venues. It makes no mention of wanting to get together and connecting with the local DJs. If that had been remotely mentioned in your initial post I would have though the thread made perfect sense here.
Last edited by Mr Awesomer on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:38 pm

gatorgal wrote:Not to be a smart a$$ but if you were visiting a scene and wanted to give a shout to the DJs, and just the DJs, where would you post that type of thing?
Right here. Unfortunately, Greg's inital post gave no indication that that was his intention.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#11 Post by julius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:40 pm

yeah, the lindy gras thing sure doesn't belong, because they had, like, maybe 4 hours of DJed music all weekend long.

did i mention this was the best event ever? seriously.

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:52 pm

If this thread is going to be put up as an example of an unacceptable thread, I can think of a lot of posts and threads that are much worse.

Greg send a shout out, a few of locals sent him Private messages or quick replies back. The rest of the thread is about the validity of the thread. Greg is going to interact with local DJs during his trip. Something beneficial happened as a result.

At this point, nobody has to be in this thread, they don't have to read it. The e-mail only people understand that there will be always be a little noise in the forum. The noise is often even worse in the so-called legtitimate threads (one word comments, tangents, jokes, etc..).

Also,
GuruReuben wrote: And by the way, your original post did not make your intentions very clear at all. It just sounded like every other post on Yehoodi about someone coming to town on business who wanted to get away to dance at the local venues. It makes no mention of wanting to get together and connecting with the local DJs. If that had been remotely mentioned in your initial post I would have though the thread made perfect sense here.
Who reads this list?
DJs read the list, it is implied that DJs were his audience. Specifically, his audience included me, Lawrence, Colin and George, perhaps other DJs who will also be passing through. By the way, he is also not the only out of state DJ passing through town that night.

Nathan
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mousethief

#13 Post by mousethief » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:57 pm

julius wrote:yeah, the lindy gras thing sure doesn't belong, because they had, like, maybe 4 hours of DJed music all weekend long.

did i mention this was the best event ever? seriously.
Not true, you big fibber. They hired a WWOZ DJ for Sunday night.

Kalman

Greg Avakian

#14 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:59 pm

GuruReuben wrote:And by the way, your original post did not make your intentions very clear at all. It just sounded like every other post on Yehoodi about someone coming to town on business who wanted to get away to dance at the local venues. It makes no mention of wanting to get together and connecting with the local DJs. If that had been remotely mentioned in your initial post I would have though the thread made perfect sense here.

Gee, I didn't think it was necessary to ask people to write me! I took it for granted that DJs who were interested would contact me-and that's exactly what happened.

I think Gatorgal put it quite well; this is a DJ list, not a public list. It's pretty obvious if you don't try too hard to figure it out.

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:08 pm

Jesus people, I'm making some simple suggestions and you're acting like I just called your mothers whores. Touchie touchie!
Greg Avakian wrote:Gee, I didn't think it was necessary to ask people to write me! I took it for granted that DJs who were interested would contact me-and that's exactly what happened.

I think Gatorgal put it quite well; this is a DJ list, not a public list. It's pretty obvious if you don't try too hard to figure it out.
Apparently as simple as my suggestion was you missed the point completely. Nevermind then, and have fun in Austin.
Reuben Brown
Southern California