Thoughts about SoFLeX

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Thoughts about SoFLeX

#1 Post by Matthew » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:10 am

What are your thoughts about the music and what it was like to DJ at SoFLeX?

Personally, I loved the music! I think you all did a spectacular job.

It was my first chance to hear most of the DJs there, and I was impressed.

It was my second chance to hear Roy, and I really, really liked his sets, especially the one in the blues room on Sunday (that set sizzled).

So, what did you all think? What did you like? What did you not like? What would you change? I'm not one of the organizers, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

gatorgal

#2 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:00 am

Matthew... thanks for the kudos. I will direct Sergio toward this thread if he hasnt seen it already. He would appreciate the compliments.

It is always a joy to hear Jesse, Dave and Roy spin. I've heard them all at past SoFlex's and at other events and they did not disappoint. Heard nothing but good things from visitors and locals alike.

I had the pleasure of meeting Rayned for the first time this weekend at SoFlex. His sets were incredible. My only regret is that I didn't pick his brain more when I had the chance. :) It was tough enough fighting off the ladies who wanted to dance with him! :)

Everytime I hear Abdel I'm always reminded what a cool dude he is! ;) It's a shame he couldn't stay longer.

I was really impressed with Jim's late night set at the German American. I hope to hear more of him at the Atlanta Exchange.

I know this sounds like a gushy lovefest, but this dancer/DJ really can't complain. A wonderful wekend all around.

Tina 8)

gatorgal

Re: Thoughts about SoFLeX

#3 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:15 am

In the midst of the lovefest I forgot to address this question...
Matthew wrote:What did you not like? What would you change?
I would like to see a change in our Friday/Saturday/Sunday night venues(not After Hours). We here in South Florida are severely handicapped by the scarcity of large venues. Unbeknowst to most folks, we had a bit of a skirmish with the owner of the Sunday night venue. I'm sure these will all be addressed when we do our post sometime next week.

We need to do a better job of showcasing our local DJs. I can't complain at all... Sergio gave me great shifts for which I'm eternally grateful. However, the silly boy stiffed himself :) ... so I would have liked to have seen him and Stace get some more prime-time play time.

I would have liked to have had a mini "DJ Summit" during the event. Again, I know this is hard to do with all of our organizing duties... but we had so many great DJs at this event, who either attended in their capacity as a DJ or just showed up to dance. Many of them I didn't know until I saw them on stage or when I danced with them. It would have been nice to have a little dinner or something to we could all meet and network and play nice. :)

Overall, this is the exchange I felt most proud of. There were definite issues and mistakes in the past that we learned from and changed this year. There were obstacles that came up at the last minute that we actually had the time to deal with, which we didn't have in the two years past. If word of mouth is to be believed, Swing Affair is headed in the direction of putting on a stellar event every year.

That's it... really. :)

Tina 8)

sonofvu

#4 Post by sonofvu » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:19 am

What I did not like about SoFlex is that I did not get to go. I think the fact that no one offered to pay my airfare or my registration was horrible.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:00 am

sonofvu wrote:What I did not like about SoFlex is that I did not get to go. I think the fact that no one offered to pay my airfare or my registration was horrible.
You're too much... :lol:

Tina 8)