Great Southwest Lindyfest

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

Great Southwest Lindyfest

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:58 pm

I did not see a thread for this yet. so I made one. This is an awesome event, I am attending my fifth one this year.

Classes, ALHC regionals, and Peter Loggins presents the Lagniappe

HSDS proudly presents -- GREAT SOUTHWEST LINDYFEST '04!

March 18, 2004 - March 21, 2004

HOUSTON, TX

Frankie Manning
Dawn Hampton
Steven Mitchell
Virginie Jensen
Sylvia Sykes
Jason Christodoulou
Frida Segerdahl
Zakarias Larsson
Minn Vo
Corina Acosta
Kwikstep
Rockafella
Matt Jones
Laura Malloy

American Lindy Hop Championship Southwest Regionals
The ALHC Southwest Regionals will take place Saturday night March 20th. The entry fee will be $25 per couple for Lindyfest weekend pass holders and $40 per couple for all others. Register & pay the fee at the door on March 20th

The Lagniappe
Every year we like to give a lagniappe ("something extra") to our Lindyfest workshop registrants. This year we're proud to present The Late Night Lindyfest Film Festival! These inspirational dance clips will be hosted by the one and only Peter Loggins from L.A. and accompanied by popcorn & other light refreshments. The clips will be presented Friday, March 20, 2004 @ 1am in the Melody Club.
Peter Loggins is a historian of authentic jazz dance which has lead him to lecture, instruct and do film presentations all over the world. He has studied with many of the original innovators of these dances and enjoys sharing the knowledge of these legendary dancers. Peter is the director of the California Historical Jazz Dance Foundation, host of the California Balboa Swing Championships and sits on the California Swing Dance Hall of Fame Advisory Board. Peter is also a freelance writer on the subject of jazz dance and is currently working on publishing his first book on the subject.

Platypus

#2 Post by Platypus » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:50 am

(edited) I contacted Tena Morales, the organizer. The DJ slate is still being firmed up, so expect some news soon about the music line-up.

sonofvu

#3 Post by sonofvu » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Nathan, I really appreciate you starting this thread. It totally slipped my mind. What was I thinking?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:12 am

Mama T!!!

Kalman

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:20 pm

Is there any live music to be had at all?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:00 pm

From what I have been told, live music is unlikely. But, the person to ask is Tena (she made posts on the Yehoodi thread, you can PM her there).

Nathan

Platypus

#7 Post by Platypus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:22 pm

To my knowledge, no live music is planned this year. All DJs.

falty411

#8 Post by falty411 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:46 pm

I know its not my event or yours, but wouldnt it be better to drop the pop, lock and breakin couple so you could have live music?

I guess im slow and somethings dont make sense to me.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

julius

#9 Post by julius » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:04 pm

i say they just charge people from DC $1000 each to fund a band.

Nate Dogg

#10 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:23 pm

If you have strong opinions on the subject or you want to discuss it with people close to the situation, there is a local forum in Houston.

http://www.houstonswingout.org/

I am sure you will get more feedback there. The forum is not as active as others, but it heats up when the right topic comes along.

As far as music goes, the only announced DJs are Peter Strom and Peter Loggins, not a surprise since they are teaching.

The event has brought in live music in the past, George Gee in 2000, David "Fathead" Newman in 2002.

Platypus

#11 Post by Platypus » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Given that I haven't had the time to be on the committee for this event, my general information is a bit dated (there was a committee meeting since my last post). I have forwarded y'alls question to the organizing committee and asked for an update. Our Houston online forum is active, but I want to ensure the quickest, most up-to-date response possible.

Kristina

tackieannie

#12 Post by tackieannie » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:14 pm

Heyoooo!

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the music end of Lindyfest... because I know you all are dying to know...

Djs for the weekend...

Mike Faltesek
Peter Loggins
Kevin Schaper
Peter Strom
George White
and from time to time that weekend myself...

there is a small possibility of an addition, but I have to wait for now...

as for live music...

unfortunately the selections of good live music in Houston is in short supply, that is not say we are not trying, we have someone in mind and we are in discussion with them now and you will be updated soon... but to bring in someone from outside of Texas or even outside of Houston is just not in the budget for us at this point and time...

We want the weekend of Lindyfest to be a great weekend celebrating the history of lindyhop as well as the music that spurred on the movement... in that same fashion we also like to highlight others aspects of dance and music that have influenced our history and would not exist if it were not for dances such as lindyhop or bands such as Chick Webb's.

With ALL that said we hope you all come and enjoy your time in Houston at the Great Southwest Lindyfest!!!!!

shortyjul

#13 Post by shortyjul » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:29 pm

oops.

Nonya

#14 Post by Nonya » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:15 pm

Not that I have any problems with the people listed, but am I correct to say that only one of them is from Texas?

Nate Dogg

#15 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:54 pm

George is from Austin.