Benny Goodman small groups on CD

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Benny Goodman small groups on CD

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:45 pm

There are way too many Benny Goodman CDs out there... it's hard to find what's good and what's better. The library here has a copy of the complete Charlie Christian Benny Goodman sessions in that cute new 4-cd box set... it's great but there's only 1 1/2 CDs worth of master takes and a ton of alterates. But it's all first-class swing, and if you can find those tracks I highly recommend it. I was reading a critic from the 1960's who said Benny couldn't swing and I see his point with some of the big band and later work, but early small group Benny -- come on, the dude's a monster!

Anyway, I'd like some suggestions vis-a-vis Benny Goodman trio, quartet, anything with Cootie Williams*, etc. non-Charlie stuff.

-y.c.

*(on a side note, I was reading about Cootie Williams and when he left Duke Ellington ... some people were saying that he just walked out one day leaving Duke behind but actually what happened is Duke helped him get a good contract with the Benny Goodman group and they parted on the best of terms... this is reason #456013 that Duke Ellington is the MAN!)

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:58 am

I have the 4-CD Benny Goodman boxed set, put out by JSP. The third CD features the small groups. I enjoy many of the tracks from this set, and my favorites from the third CD are "How High the Moon," "Hi-Ya, Sophia" (well over 250 BPM, I believe), and "Moonglow." Overall, the sound quality of the set is pretty high.

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:48 pm

ah, it's good to hear something about that set -- i can't find info anywhere beyond a bare track listing. so it's thematically organized? what are the other CDs?

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:19 am

CD "A" is called "The Instrumental Hits" - I don't think there are even minor vocals on that CD.

"B" is called "Sing, Sing, Sing" - all songs have vocals, I believe. Vocalists include Peggy Lee and Helen Forrest. One track each with Billie (about 160BPM!), Ella, and Jimmy Rushing. A couple of tracks with Fred Astaire.

"C" is called "The Small Groups" - a lot of stuff I like on this one, including "Vibraphone Blues" with Lionel Hampton singing. If I remember correctly, many of the tracks are rather fast.

"D" is called "All the Cats Join In" - my favorite tracks are "T'Aint No Use" with Benny Goodman on vocals, and "Superman."

Overall, it's a nice set; pretty high sound quality, and a wide range in tempo and style. Liner notes are sparse. It's a JSP set, so whatever you expect of them is probably pretty accurate. I'm very happy with it.

funkyfreak

#5 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:59 pm

I have these if you want to listen to them sometime, Yakov.

-FF

CafeSavoy

Re: Benny Goodman small groups on CD

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:14 am

Yakov wrote:Anyway, I'd like some suggestions vis-a-vis Benny Goodman trio, quartet, anything with Cootie Williams*, etc. non-Charlie stuff.
It's not trio, but still small group:

Benny Goodman Sextet, Slipped Disc (1945-46)

Lindy Bomb

#7 Post by Lindy Bomb » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:51 am

this set is also available through emusic.

main_stem

Re: Benny Goodman small groups on CD

#8 Post by main_stem » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:45 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
Yakov wrote:Anyway, I'd like some suggestions vis-a-vis Benny Goodman trio, quartet, anything with Cootie Williams*, etc. non-Charlie stuff.
It's not trio, but still small group:

Benny Goodman Sextet, Slipped Disc (1945-46)
This is a great disc and worth tracking down. It's out of print.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon