#16 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:26 pm

shortyjul wrote:says you.
Not exactly.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Shorty Dave

#17 Post by Shorty Dave » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:03 pm

Funny coincidence, the band at the Jelly Roll dance here in NYC last night was all over Monk. It was GREAT. They played very danceable swingin' versions of In Walked Bud, Blue Monk, and a couple other bop/bop-ish songs we're talking about.

They also played one of my all-time favorite slower songs, Ruby, My Dear, which I never hear at dances. Made me very happy :)

John Bunch Trio and Harlem Blues and Jazz Band both played Round Midnight at their dances, and I'm pretty sure I've heard other bands play it, too.

Lawrence

#18 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:19 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:Funny coincidence, the band at the Jelly Roll dance here in NYC last night was all over Monk. It was GREAT. They played very danceable swingin' versions of In Walked Bud, Blue Monk, and a couple other bop/bop-ish songs we're talking about.

They also played one of my all-time favorite slower songs, Ruby, My Dear, which I never hear at dances. Made me very happy :)

John Bunch Trio and Harlem Blues and Jazz Band both played Round Midnight at their dances, and I'm pretty sure I've heard other bands play it, too.
Most of what makes Monk, "Monk," is his off-kiltered way of playing piano as if he's drunk and stupid... but so drunk and stupid that he's GENIUS!!! That's what makes it a challenge to dance to (and to understand) his music. I still think it can be done, but it would take some appreciation for why the music is swaggering and falling off-rhythm, plus some ability to follow along accordingly without losing all sense of frame and style.

As such, unless they truly try to imiitate his style of playing, a "Monk" song is just not the same without Monk, himself.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Zak

great monk albums

#19 Post by Zak » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:05 am

At the beginning of this topic someone was looking for some recommended Monk albums. Here's a few of my favorites. I dj'ed a jazz show when I was in college on the school's radio station. My love of jazz & blues is what got me into swing dancing in all of it's various forms, west coast, east coast, & lindy.

'Misterioso': This is a live album that captures a hot band having a great night. This album is a perfect example of how enjoyable it is to see a jazz show in an intimate setting.

'Thelonious In Action': A second album made from the same show(s) as Misterioso. The songs are a little more laid back than 1st album.

'Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane': 2 jazz masters in their prime. It's kinda like watching Pedro Martinez dual against Randy Johnson at their best.

'Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk': Jazz masters in their prime playing great music.

Carmen Mcrae: 'Carmen Sings Monk': This album might have some danceable songs. I haven't listened to it since I started swing dancing. Carmen sings vocal versions of a bunch of great Monk songs. The band is very tight.

Nando

#20 Post by Nando » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:07 pm

Perhaps not a DJ post, but I love it when a live band can interject a bop melody from time to time in a swing standard.

I know Lindy Hop Heaven throws Blue Monk into one of their songs. I've heard at least another band or two riff off of Blue Monk. It may be bop but it fits in a standard blues arrangement. Same with Straight, No Chaser.

I can't recall specifically who did this (probably cause it's late and I'm tired) but I know another band did a swing version of Freddie Freeloader.

Shorty Dave

#21 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:58 am

George Gee used to play Freddie Freeloader!

SpuzBal

#22 Post by SpuzBal » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Bonebrake's Syncopators played Straight, No Chaser at the LA Binge last year.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart