Yehoodi 6th Anniv 10/9 - Greatest Band Ever to Dance To!?!?

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

Yehoodi 6th Anniv 10/9 - Greatest Band Ever to Dance To!?!?

#1 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:31 am

Well, I guess not *ever*, but very arguably the greatest band *you'll* ever have the chance to dance to.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on this year's Yehoodi Anniversary Party which will be Oct 9th. We're finalizing all the details (already!), and pretty soon I'll be able to share with you who we have in the band. But rest assured, it's gonna be an all-star line-up unprecedented in today's swing world. I'm especially excited to share with you guys the line-up because most of you will probably have heard of everyone (as oppossed to the rest of the lindy hop community who will only have heard of a few of 'em!).

Seriously, if you're gonna make one lindy hop trip anywhere this year based on live music, I'd be very surprised if anything else comes close to the weekend of Oct 8-10 in NYC. You can take that to the bank.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:32 am

Knowing your taste in music, can I assume this greatest band I'll ever have a chance to dance to will not appeal to us original era music lovers? You're making some mighty big promises, as you'll be needing to top the New Orleans Exchange line up of live music coming up soon.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:49 am

New Orleans is going to kick giant monster ass. However, knowing the organizers, I don't think all of it will fit the popular view of Big Easy jazz. Some of it is very much in the vein of Shorty's book.

Kalman

mity

#4 Post by mity » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:51 am

I have to come to Dave’s defense. Of all the big bands that jellyroll has gotten (and Dave plays a major role in who plays at jellyroll) none have been less than stellar. If he says that the big band we will have will be good, I have no doubt about it.

Even though his DJ style is not my cup of tea, his live music selections have always left happy. Although I would have been happy, more than happy, with having HRO play the whole night.

Shorty Dave

#5 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:16 am

Reuben, you are free to assume whatever you want :)

Kalman, if by "Shorty's Book" you mean late-night-exchange-groove-stuff, this won't be close at all to that book. If by "Shorty's Book", you mean world-class musicians who swing their asses off, you're right on the money.

Oh goody oh goody oh goody...I can't wait to tell you all. We're working on the website now. Probably a couple weeks we'll spill the beans.

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:27 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Reuben, you are free to assume whatever you want :)

Kalman, if by "Shorty's Book" you mean late-night-exchange-groove-stuff, this won't be close at all to that book. If by "Shorty's Book", you mean world-class musicians who swing their asses off, you're right on the money.

Oh goody oh goody oh goody...I can't wait to tell you all. We're working on the website now. Probably a couple weeks we'll spill the beans.
Wait til you hear the sets, my man. Cash went out of his way to get a pretty broad group of musicians and I think you will see a good number of parallels. Besides, I was just illustrating that just because NOLX will have a number of killer bands, it doesn't negate good sets elsewhere. Remember, Cash and I were there for Y5A with Junior and Barbara.

Each of us has a "persona" as a DJ and whether we like it or not, that impression is what is presented to the world. Considering how alike our books have been for our DJs careers, you should know I'm not picking on you. Glass houses and all...

I can't wait until Y6A - so bring it.

Kalman

Shorty Dave

#7 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:31 am

Shorty Dave wrote: Kalman, if by "Shorty's Book" you mean late-night-exchange-groove-stuff, this won't be close at all to that book. If by "Shorty's Book", you mean world-class musicians who swing their asses off, you're right on the money.
Hee hee...just to be clear...I was referring to what Y6A is gonna be. Didn't mean to imply anything about NOLX :)

Shorty Dave

#8 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:37 am

Slightly off topic but still related...

Just curious, Reuben, does an "original era music lover" like yourself dig Harlem Renaissance Orchestra? I ask 'cuz a big part of their book is New Testament Basie stuff. (Note: the 10/9 band is not HRO)

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:41 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Just curious, Reuben, does an "original era music lover" like yourself dig Harlem Renaissance Orchestra?
Yes.

Shorty Dave wrote:I ask 'cuz a big part of their book is New Testament Basie stuff.
And?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#10 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:46 am

Pardon my ignorance. I just wasn't sure if New Testatment Basie stuff with Frank Foster and Neil Hefti arrangements was considered "original era music".

(And if it's not, then nonetheless it's good to know you also enjoy music beyond that specific genre.)

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:56 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Pardon my ignorance. I just wasn't sure if New Testatment Basie stuff with Frank Foster and Neil Hefti arrangements was considered "original era music".

(And if it's not, then nonetheless it's good to know you also enjoy music beyond that specific genre.)
It's not though it's closely related, and yes I enjoy music beyond that specific genre. I've never said otherwise, though I have just said what outside that specific genre I dislike... as well as what IN that specific genre I dislike.

I'll be interested to see who the lineup is to see if it's the greatest band I'll ever have the chance to dance to... so I'll wait till then to get to the "very arguably" portion of your post. :D
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:12 pm

I read Dave's post and thought it was cool, good news about a good event. I just took him as being enthusiastic. Dave thinks it is awesome so that sells me on it. Live music taste is very subjective anyway, so who cares if it ends up being my favorite live lindy dance band of the year, that was not the point of his post. He was promoting, he was not asking for people to debate him and scrutinize his every word.

We don't have to turn everything into a debate.

Kudos to Yehoodi and Dave. If I can get the finances straight, maybe I will head up there, I am way overdue for a trip to New York.

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:34 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:Pardon my ignorance. I just wasn't sure if New Testatment Basie stuff with Frank Foster and Neil Hefti arrangements was considered "original era music".

So are you in a position to get HRO to cut a CD sometime? I really dug them at HJDF and next time I go to NYC I'm going to go out of my way to catch them at Luci's.

Shorty Dave

#14 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:39 pm

Great minds think alike...I've always thought a "HRO: Live at Luci's" would make a kick ass cd. Too busy with other projects, but who knows...

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:43 pm

As found on the "Gigli" website:

"The first time we saw Ben and Jennifer share a frame together, it was immediately clear that they possessed that elusive thing called chemisty." - Casey Silver, Producer

"[Ben] had the physical presence to make Gigle intimdating, but he also posseses a wonderful vulverabilty." - Martin Brest, Director/Writer/Producer

"Beneath the palpable secual tension that informs their relationship, both actors give carefully calibrated performaces under Marty's meticulous direction." - Casey Silver, Producer

Sounds like a great movie, yeah?

Look, I think it's great he's putting together a band that HE thinks is going to blow everyone's socks off, but quite frankly his sweeping assumptions based on his personal enthusiasm are not a complete truthful means of advertising. That's really the only thing I was taking issue with.
Reuben Brown
Southern California