Wedding Ceremony Music

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Platypus

Wedding Ceremony Music

#1 Post by Platypus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:52 am

A friend is getting married in a few months (Dapper Dan, for those of you who have met him). He is a swing DJ here in Houston, but with all the wedding brou-ha-ha, he asked me to help search for the perfect wedding ceremony music.

What swing/jazz have you heard used for processionals and recessionals?
On a lark, he asked if anyone has heard about the traditional bridal march being done as a jazz tune. I doubt he will end up using it, but I figured, what the heck, why not ask the experts (that's all y'all)?

Dan likes pre-1945 swing, and has a penchant for hot jazz. He is a die-hard Louis Armstrong fan. His bride-to-be is very accommodating, as she is not as familiar with jazz, only asking to be a part of the final selection process.

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:10 am

A wild idea, perhaps, but I think it would be interesting:

Django's gorgeous version of "Blue Moon" on the All Star Sessions. No vocals - just a trumpet solo.

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:38 am

Don't Falter at the Altar, Cab "That Tasty Scab" Calloway

Kalman

yedancer

#4 Post by yedancer » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:58 am

mousethief wrote:Don't Falter at the Altar, Cab "That Tasty Scab" Calloway

Kalman
LOL!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Moonmist

#5 Post by Moonmist » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:19 am

Kalman, I was going to say the same thing...

If he's flexible, At Last seems to be pretty popular for that occasion. Of course, there's nothing wrong with some of the nice, upbeat, instrumentals too.

Platypus

#6 Post by Platypus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:19 am

Um, don't laugh too soon. Friends of mine acutally used that song as a processional at a recent wedding! Their recessional was "I'm a Believer" Smashmouth version.

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:32 am

Platypus wrote:Um, don't laugh too soon. Friends of mine acutally used that song as a processional at a recent wedding! Their recessional was "I'm a Believer" Smashmouth version.
Now that's funny. :)

Let me know what you come up with... I have a friend getting married in September and she's already asking me for music advice in this arena.

Tina 8)

SpuzBal

#8 Post by SpuzBal » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:12 pm

Some friends of a friend of a friend (ha) used the Imperial March as their recessional music. I thought that was funny.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

kbuxton

#9 Post by kbuxton » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:55 pm

SpuzBal wrote:Some friends of a friend of a friend (ha) used the Imperial March as their recessional music. I thought that was funny.
Wonder if that was the same wedding I was at ;)

julius

#10 Post by julius » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:58 pm

An obvious (too obvious) choice would be When the Saints Go Marchin' In for the processional. I don't know if 'hot jazz' equates to Dixieland in your mind (it depends on the person) though. I would probably go for something romantic myself though, like Stardust or Moonglow. The real problem may be in finding something long enough to get the entire wedding party up the aisle.

Platypus

#11 Post by Platypus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:50 pm

Exceptionally small wedding party. I figured I would start with what I know he likes, but wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the mushy stuff in the end. And I just can't wait to see the reactions when I put on the Imperial March as the first suggestion. :shock: :lol:

djstarr

#12 Post by djstarr » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:00 pm

Check out "I'm Crazy About My Baby" on Satch Plays Fats --- it's got a nice lilt, and at 4:28 might be long enough to get everybody up the aisle.

The lyrics fit - it starts out "I'm walking on air...."

you could also play South Street Rampart Parade for him ;-)

Platypus

#13 Post by Platypus » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:38 am

Natthew - thanks for the tip on Blue Moon, picked it up this week. I will definately work it in some time during the evening, even if it doesn't make the wedding ceremony cut. :D

Lawrence

#14 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:56 pm

SpuzBal wrote:Some friends of a friend of a friend (ha) used the Imperial March as their recessional music. I thought that was funny.
From "Star Wars?" :lol: Funny enough, I always thought that had a bit of a wedding ceremony tinge to it.... :lol:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

SpuzBal

#15 Post by SpuzBal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:35 pm

It was between the Imperial March and the song that they play at the end of Episode IV when the medals are being handed out.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart