danceable Louis Armstrong

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

danceable Louis Armstrong

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:09 am

It's surprisingly hard (to me, anyway) to find solid danceable Louis Armstrong stuff -- a lot of his available recordings are either too early or too "pop" for lindy. There are a few tunes on Ella and Louis and Ella and Louis Again that work (They Can't Take That Away, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off, maybe Can't We Be Friends) but not that many. One Louis CD I have with some good danceable tracks is The Essence Of Louis Armstrong, a Columbia sampler.

Any suggestions?

(edit: what, can't trust us with HTML priviledges? :roll: )
Last edited by Yakov on Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

djstarr

#2 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:01 am

This is a recommendation I got indirectly from Reuben - he played "Drop me off in Harlem" at the Harlem DJ battle from this album.

I really like it, I play several tracks from it.

The other album I play a lot from is Ken Burns Jazz Collection: Louis Armstrong

mark0tz

#3 Post by mark0tz » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:16 am

Satch Plays Fats: The Music of Fats Waller

Love this CD, several danceables, favorite is "I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby..."

Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy

Another nice CD.

The California Concerts

I also like this CD, 4 disc set.

Yes, you won't find the concentration of danceable tunes on these CD's as you would with, say, a Count Basie CD. However, they are certainly there if you give a listen.
Mike Marcotte

Platypus

#4 Post by Platypus » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:26 am

Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington. Sweet stuff.

mark0tz

#5 Post by mark0tz » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:48 am

oh yea, forgot that CD. That's another nice one. Love the Roulette label.
Mike Marcotte

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:58 am

There are 3 songs I reguarly use in my sets:

Drop me off in Harlem: Armstong & Ellington
Don't get around much anymore: Armstrong & Ellington
Moon Song: Armstong and Oscar Peterson

Once every few blue moons I might put in something with Ella and Louis.

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:01 am

The W.C. Handy album is great.

Also, "Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson" has some great softer, slower Lindy tunes between 90-130 BPM. "Sweet Moonsong" (or "Moonsong" as CDDB lists it) is one of my favorite swing songs, altogether.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#8 Post by mousethief » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:49 am

hell, my major problem is having to choose which satch songs are getting play each time i dj.

i love satch.

kalman

SirScratchAlot

#9 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:30 am

any of the Hot five and seven recordings....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Greg Avakian

#10 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:46 am

No agenda here :), but a nice compilation is "Louis armstrong: an American Icon" (3 discs):
From Allmusic.com:
This three-CD set brings together recorded highlights from the last 25 years of Armstrong's career, starting with his return to a small sextet from his big-band recordings and his unprecedented run of hit recordings in the pop-jazz vein. Rather than only utilizing the many masters Armstrong cut for Decca over the years (Hip-O and Decca both draw from the same MCA master pool), compiler George Avakian also pulls in rarities and hits recorded for RCA Victor, Columbia, Verve, Roulette, Kapp, Mercury, ABC-Paramount, as well as Gene Norman's GRD and GNP Crescendo imprints. Disc one covers the years 1946 to 1954 and finds Pops moving away from his big band sound in favor of small groups like his All Stars and also moving smoothly into a string of jazz-pop chart hits including "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," "That Lucky Old Sun," "You Can't Lose a Broken Heart" (with Billie Holiday), "Gone Fishin'" (with Bing Crosby) and "A Kiss to Build a Dream On." Disc two covers 1954 to 1956 and is a delightful collection of Louis and the All Stars at their very best. In addition to the hit "Mack the Knife," "When You're Smiling," and "I Surrender, Dear," hot live versions of "Basin Street Blues," "Blueberry Hill" and "Lazy River," the disc also includes some fine duets with Ella Fitzgerald. The final disc takes recordings from 1956 to 1968 and finds Louis firmly in pop-music territory. Tunes like "Hello Dolly," "Mame," "What a Wonderful World," "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and "Georgia On My Mind" are, oddly, the tunes that modern-day listeners will always associate with Satchmo — and rightly so. No jazz artist crossed over more times than Louis Armstrong, and never once was it a musical sellout. With Satchmo, it was all of one piece, and this excellent three-disc set is a great place to start digging a large chunk of his genius. — Cub Koda

PS:
I love the California concerts too!

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:21 am

What do people think of this CD?

You can listen to previews of the whole thing in the ITunes store...haven't looked to see where else.

I like it, but is it one of those things where I could save myself some money and get equally good recordings of the same songs in a box set?

Yakov

#12 Post by Yakov » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:24 pm

you may want to try: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YTYQ/

i'm sure it's great, although i haven't heard it and therefore can not vouch for its danceability. however you have no reason not to get it: it's $14 for two cds and it's remastered by john r. t. davies who's famous for how awesome he is

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:45 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:No agenda here :),

* * * compiler George Avakian also pulls in rarities and hits recorded for RCA Victor, Columbia, Verve, Roulette, Kapp, Mercury, ABC-Paramount, as well as Gene Norman's GRD and GNP Crescendo imprints.
Why not plug the WC Handy album while you're at it? :) (Also produced by Greg's Dad, and which, as I wrote above, is a favorite of mine).

Seriously, you've mentioned in other threads how your Dad doesn't talk to you much about his career, but I'd be hitting him up for advice and war stories all the time if he were my Dad. You should be proud (and probably are).
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Greg Avakian

#14 Post by Greg Avakian » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:19 pm

I like the Handy album too, I just think American Icon has a better selection and -since it's a retrospective- shows a broader spectrum of the Armstrong sound and history.

My dad doesn't dance,so I'd rather be on my own there. :)

yedancer

#15 Post by yedancer » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:39 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:any of the Hot five and seven recordings....
Haha. Rad.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.