Previewing. How do you DJ without it.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Previewing. How do you DJ without it.

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:01 pm

From reading this board and from looking at many other DJ’s I’ve noticed that a lot of Swing DJ’s don’t preview before spinning a track. To me I find previewing one of the most important parts of my DJing. I think the only occasion I haven’t previewed, is when I have to chose a track ASAP and I’ve only go a few seconds left on the previous song. When that happens, I will only play a song that I know inside out and I’d still prefer that I could preview it.

My reasons for Previewing.

1. To try to ensure that the track I’m previewing will some way flow on from the previous song.
2. During the time I’m previewing, I look out at the dance floor; to see how the mood and feeling is working, then decide it the track I’m previewing will work.
3. To make sure I’ve got the right number Track (or CD) cued up.
4. To check the intro. Some of my live recordings have announcements at the start that I sometimes cut out.
5. To check volume level. It’s always nice to having the track coming in at an ear friendly volume.
6. I can play a greater range of my CD collection. I don’t know every song inside out and I’m more likely to look for material I haven’t played before if I can preview it.

At the moment when I’m DJing about 40% of the tracks I preview I don’t play, as I’m not happy with them. With out previewing 40% of my set would not be a good as I would like it to be.

So what I’m wondering is how do DJ’s manage to DJ with out previewing? I’d be very limited in my DJing if I couldn’t preview.

Brian

yedancer

#2 Post by yedancer » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:34 pm

I only do it when I'm forced to. I play songs by memory.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

Re: Previewing. How do you DJ without it.

#3 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:15 am

Bob the Builder wrote: So what I'm wondering is how do DJ's manage to DJ with out previewing? I'd be very limited in my DJing if I couldn't preview.

Brian
I'm relying on a decent memory and some luck. And sometimes playing the wrong track (as mentioned in a previous thread) isn't such a bad thing.

Maybe I ought to start bring a d20 to dances and just playing what I roll. :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:31 am

I always carry a CD player as preview back-up but I can do just about anything from memory. I'm kinda cursed that way.

32 point buy Human Fighter 4

16/10/16/10/12/12

Feats 6; Skills 14 points

See?

Kalman

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:59 am

This is why Lindy/DJ/D&D geeks are the best!

Tina 8)

gatorgal

Re: Previewing. How do you DJ without it.

#6 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:03 am

Bob the Builder wrote:
4. To check the intro. Some of my live recordings have announcements at the start that I sometimes cut out.
I forgot to make this point earlier...

If there's an intro I need to skip on a particular track, I put a little note on my track sheet as to how much time I need to skip. That also helps me eliminate the need to preview.

Sometimes I'll play it anyway... it gives the dancers a chance to rest and pick their next partner, should they recognize the song/intro.

Tina 8)

julius

#7 Post by julius » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:04 pm

I skip the first 43 seconds of Crosby/Armstrong doing Now You Has Jazz. too much vocal patter, not enough ass-kicking.

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:35 pm

I almost ALWAYS preview: can't really conceive doing a good job without doing so. All regular venues of mine have gear that allows previewing.

Otherwise, I rely on my own notes and memory. Or compilations.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

morte100

#9 Post by morte100 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:48 pm

I bring my own mixer/cd player if I can - primarily so that I can preview/cue.

So many swing venues have such crappy equipment. How many times have you had to DJ off of two walkmans? I can't stand it. It makes it so i can't dance because I have to spend so much more time taking care of everything.

There are those that are blessed with a different type of memory than mine, but for my money, the peace of mind of listening to a little bit of a song before it goes out is much preferable. _d

swinginstyle

#10 Post by swinginstyle » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:19 am

If you play off a laptop, how do you preview?
Don't take swing underground!!

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:46 am

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:47 pm

I don't preview. I do all my previewing in advance when I pick out which songs are good to play and annotate them (before) or put them onto compilations (now). I remember the songs pretty well. But I also respect those DJs that feel it helps them to preview.

Yakov

#13 Post by Yakov » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:59 pm

my superpower is understanding BPM charts

Toon Town Dave

#14 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:29 pm

I didn't think I could spin an entire set without previewing but I managed a preview-free evening (three hours minus a 20 minute break) a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be a pretty good evening although I stuck to the stuff I knew best and didn't play any risky stuff.

I'd still prefer headphones and a preview capable sound system.

lindyholic

#15 Post by lindyholic » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:30 am

I like previewing more because I like to know whether the song's sound quality is ok or not. In order to combat this I've began catologuing all my music. What this means, though, is that I have to listen to EVERY song in my collection, I BPM it, take the time, and write a little note about the song, what it's like energy wise, if it's danceable or not and so on. I've been doing this so I can take the cd inserts out of my binders because they've been weighing them down. It's just VERY tedious work to do.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.