How about Howlin' Wolf?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

How about Howlin' Wolf?

#1 Post by Yakov » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:07 pm

I was going through his "chess box" today (3 discs)... undoubtedly this stuff is most suited for "slow blues dancing," (and if you like slow blues, there's no better way to turn up the heat than to put on some of the tracks from this set) (and if you don't, i know you're out there, please let's not make this a tempo debate)

but some of the tracks are midtempo with a boogie woogie type beat... how do you like this stuff for lindy? too much electric guitar? me, I love it, although it must be in moderation. it's a very very different sound

-yakov
Last edited by Yakov on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate Dogg

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:36 pm

I have one of the Chess CDs, don't think I ever played a track off it.

I will make a point to play a Howlin Wolf Chess song this week, I will let you know how it goes over.

Nathan

Lindy Bomb

#3 Post by Lindy Bomb » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:11 pm

I've played Howlin' Wolf, both slow and uptempo, with success. Some of the tracks have a bit too much electri guitar for my tastes, but I just choose to play other tracks on occasion.

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:13 pm

also: any other artists in a similar vein that you would recommend looking into? (danceable)

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:26 pm

Yakov wrote:also: any other artists in a similar vein that you would recommend looking into? (danceable)
you could check out T-Bone Walker

Jake

#6 Post by Jake » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:52 pm

... and John Lee Hooker. And Buddy Guy.

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:16 pm

Not sure if this is what you really wanted. In addition to some of the other recomendations (Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker).

"Hillbillies from Outer Space" - Vaughn Brothers, Family Style
Several CDs from Clarence Gatemouth Brown, "Gates Swings" is particularly popular with several DJs.
"Playin' With My Friends" - B.B King/Robert Cray - Blues Summit (a B.B. King CD). B.B also has several other albums with danceable tunes (his Louis Jordan tribute CD for example).
James Brown's Messing With The Blues CD.
"Spoonful" - Etta Jones (several good versions out there)
"Roadblock" - Johnny Adams from One Foot in the Blues
"Rack em' Up" - Jonny Lang, his first album, "Lie to Me" I think it is called
Certain Stevie Ray Vaughn songs, such as "Cold Shot", "House is a Rockin" and "Pride and Joy."
That awesome J. Curve Cincinnati Jazz Collection Vol 3: The Blues compilation that Sharon Ashe turned me onto.
I could go on, we dance to live blues every week in Austin. But, I would not recomend some of it to DJ by.

Other blues artists to check out, Candye Kane, Susan Tedeschi, certain Solomon Burke CDs, Joe Louis Walker
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkyfreak

Re: How about Howlin' Wolf?

#8 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:43 am

Yakov wrote:but some of the tracks are midtempo with a boogie woogie type beat... how do you like this stuff for lindy?
I do like his work like that for Blues.

-FF