The final song of the night

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

The final song of the night

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:34 pm

Which criteria do you use when you're choosing the final song of the night? Do you like to go out with a bang (big, loud, brassy song), just for fun? Do you like to finish things quietly (slower, smooth song), so that people's muscles can cool down? Does it depend on the night?

I've done it both ways, but on vastly different nights. Most recently, I chose the slower route, based on the room. I like that way because the poor souls can get used to the idea that no, there will be no more dancing. I feel as though a big, brassy song leaves everybody expecting more. Of course, if people had been geared up and dancing like maniacs, then I might have gone the other route or done something completely different.

I'm still exploring this. What do you think?

yedancer

Re: The final song of the night

#2 Post by yedancer » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:20 am

Matthew wrote:I've done it both ways, but on vastly different nights. . . . based on the room.
I agree.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:54 am

If it's in my binder, it's playable for the end of the night.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

LazyP

#4 Post by LazyP » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:44 am

I tend to either make it really fast or really slow depending on the energy in the room.
Really slow with a long blues to get the energy down to nothing or really fast to make sure that most of the people won't have the stamina to dance another song right away.
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:22 am

It's been a while since I've had to close up the night, but sometimes I like to play a blantantly non-swing song so folks get the message that it's over... go home! :)

The last time I did that I played "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. :lol:

I also ususally announce 1 or 2 songs before the end that we're packing up.

Tina 8)

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:03 am

I make the last song a solid ender. What that song is will depend on the setting and what the energy level is at the end of the night.

Sometimes it's great to go out strong and swinging, having everyone leave with a lot of energy, probably heading out to eat somewhere. That doesn't necessarily mean that the song will be fast, and it usually isn't. I often try to pick a song that is really catchy and leaves people humming it on the way out, like "Smack Dab In The Middle" or "Playing With My Friends". At other times, I play a song that has a "leaving" theme, like "Hit The Road Jack" or "The Party's Over".

On Saturday night at The Doghouse, I ended with the blues medley by The CAC Jazz Orchestra. That fits all three criteria: it's high energy, catchy and has a leaving theme at the end of it.

Of course there are other times when it's really nice to taper off the energy in the evening, either with slow blues or swinging jazz. That can end things either sweet or dirty, and both can be desirable. "Honeysuckle Rose" by Patti Austin and "In The Dark" by Carrie Smith both come to mind. Try to avoid killing the energy, making people feel like they've been tucking in and put to sleep when it's all said and done.

No matter what, I always announce the final song before I play it. I've found that dancers feel frustrated when the dancing ends abruptly, without prepping them for the last song. This is especially the case when ending on a high note. There is a much greater chance of the dancers letting out a loud collective "AWWWWWWWE..." and begging for another song. Of course if that is the sort of attention you're going for, then by all means...

Also as Tina mentioned, we often end the night here in SF with a few non-swing songs. If I've tapered off the energy, I probably won't want to bring it back with fun non-swing music, but if I ended the last swing song on a high note, I might keep it going with a few high energy non-swing songs. I frequently find myself playing party music (hip hop, funk, disco, etc...) - music that really gets people moving, doing all sorts of silly stuff at the end of the evening. Break dance circles, group hip hop routines, swing outs and all sorts of stuff starts happening. "Gettin' Jiggy With It", People Everyday" and "Superfreak" would be perfect examples.

When I launch into this set, I usually like to have the lights brought up, signifying that the party is pretty much over but that a few "last" songs will get played while the dancers are heading out. This has become a convention around here. Quite often though it doesn't exactly work, and we still have all the dancers moving until the music is finally cut it off. I personally love it when the energy is so high that we literally have to kick the dancers out to lock up.

One last note: It is important for the DJ to watch the clock and be aware when the evening is done, especially if the owner is strict about wrapping things up at a certain time. You should start planning a few songs out, at least time-wise, so you can end exactly as planned. It is frustrating for the DJ, and the dancers, when the owner walks up mid-song telling you (more like demanding) that this will be the last song. If you make it a point to end your final song promptly at the scheduled ending time, you can often avoid this situation. Wraps the night up nicely.

Jesse

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:08 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I often try to pick a song that is really catchy and leaves people humming it on the way out, like "Smack Dab In The Middle" or "Playing With My Friends". At other times, I play a song that has a "leaving" theme, like "Hit The Road Jack" or "The Party's Over".

Try to avoid killing the energy, making people feel like they've been tucking in and put to sleep when it's all said and done.
This reminded me that another song I like to play at the end of a night is "Road to Dreamland" by Jane Monheit. Admittedly, I like it a lot and it doesn't kill my mood... but I'm sure others here in SoFla probably don't like it because it kinda reminds people of sleep like Jesse mentioned.

But it works... when I play it folks know it's time to leave! :) Even so, I use it sparingly.

Also, when I danced at a studio in Jacksonville the owner there used to make his last song Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". I don't know why he chose this song, but it was always the dancers aural cue that it was time to clean your table, pack up your stuff and leave. It wasn't always played at the same time... but we always knew it was the last song. I don't know... something to think about.

Tina 8)

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:57 pm

gatorgal wrote:Also, when I danced at a studio in Jacksonville the owner there used to make his last song Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". I don't know why he chose this song, but it was always the dancers aural cue that it was time to clean your table, pack up your stuff and leave. It wasn't always played at the same time... but we always knew it was the last song. I don't know... something to think about.
It can be quite effective to pick a signature ending song and stick with it every week (kinda like having a theme song). Spencer ended every Tuesday night at Broadway Studios with Sinatra's "Night and Day". There was no question - you knew that was the final song of the night.

Jesse
Last edited by JesseMiner on Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

julius

#9 Post by julius » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:57 pm

Strangely Louis' version of "What A Wonderful World" has come to signify tragedy or death or an ending simply because lazy movie directors play it during sad moments in their movies to signify irony. Whenever that song is played I find myself getting a lot SADDER despite the lyrics.

Soupbone

#10 Post by Soupbone » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:18 pm

For me, it really just depends on what's happening in the room. So many of our dances have pretty much died by the end of the night that it doesn't much matter. Sometimes a novelty tune. Sometimes a "real" song, depending. But, I just feel it out each night.
Gary

gatorgal

#11 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:02 pm

julius wrote:Strangely Louis' version of "What A Wonderful World" has come to signify tragedy or death or an ending simply because lazy movie directors play it during sad moments in their movies to signify irony. Whenever that song is played I find myself getting a lot SADDER despite the lyrics.
Never thought of that... curious to know which movies. Just PM me.

Tina 8)

Shorty Dave

#12 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:14 pm

(Ha ha...not to get too far off topic...Good Morning Vietnam and Bowling for Columbine come to mind for me.

Jeremy Lewis, you out there?)

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:02 pm

julius wrote:Strangely Louis' version of "What A Wonderful World" has come to signify tragedy or death or an ending simply because lazy movie directors play it during sad moments in their movies to signify irony. Whenever that song is played I find myself getting a lot SADDER despite the lyrics.
I find it moving because when I say Lionel Hampton a few years ago at the age of 90 he closed his set singing this. I was there because I thought I would never have a chance to see him again. And seeing him sing this song with such emotion as the lasting memory of that show will never leave me.

julius

#14 Post by julius » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:47 pm

What Dave said, plus the nuclear holocaust montage in Dr. Strangelove, of course. Overall the song is just so sweet that directors can't resist using it to contrast something grim and sad or ironic, and unfortunately it has totally changed the nature of the song for me.

julius

#15 Post by julius » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:54 pm

whoops, it is not used in strangelove. never mind. a cursory IMDB search turns it up in Meet Joe Black though. ew.