Theme Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

#31 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:30 am

julius wrote:I don't DJ, but my theme song is definitely Eddie Reed's version of Jazznocracy.

Why? Because it's the first song I ever danced to where I felt like I was really, and I mean, REALLY, doing Lindy Hop. Like, so in the moment that even trainwrecking was being a golden god.

(Also, Eddie Reed was playing the very first night I ever saw Lindy Hop. He didn't play Jazznocracy as it was the quintet, but it was a life-changing night for me.)
Yea, Julius, I can certainly back you up on That, if it wasn't for Eddie Reed I would struggle dancing fast and real slow...

Like the bands of the swing era he played what he liked to play, and the dancers just enjoyed dancing, regardless of tempo....

once again, we will be witnessing is greatness at the Lindy summit....july 5th....I can;t wait!!!!!!!!!
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

djstarr

#32 Post by djstarr » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:28 pm

so since this topic has come up again, I don't know if I have a theme song anymore! I still play "I love being here with you" once in a while, but I don't try to force it into sets.

I also love "Porter's love Song to a Chambermaid", I play the Roy Milton version, but that also doesn't fit into most sets I'm playing lately.

I have found myself playing certain songs a lot: "Miss Brown to You" (Billie Holiday, Lady Day Swings), and "He Ain't Got Rhythm" (my current fave version is with Benny Goodman/Jimmy Rushing on Sing Sing Sing).

I also am playing at least a couple of songs by Louis Armstrong in every set so perhaps I have a theme artist right now rather than a theme song - but this will probably change too over time.

Someone told me there is a B52's song with "Brenda" in the lyrics; perhaps I'll have to find it - it made me happy since I didn't think I had a song with my name in it (too bad my name isn't Marie or Lorraine).

JeremyLewis

#33 Post by JeremyLewis » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:46 pm

Posting here is my coming to terms with being a swing DJ. Yes, I am, I admit it.

So, I have a few theme songs..

I've often started my set off with "School Days" by Dizzy Gillespie off the album of same name. Jesse Miner turned me on to this song first, but I'm always amazed how rarely I hear it- it's got super energy, and I love Joe Carroll's voice.

My other two signature songs are probably "Some of This 'N Some of That", Joe Williams off of At Newport '63, and "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley, off of any of twenty 60's soul compilations. And since (almost) none of you know this song, go find it :) It's not for its danceability but for its "make you want to move" quality.

And I used to finish all my sets with "Let's Get It On", and I'm stupid enough to think I was original in this back in 1999. :)

Jeremy

Shorty Dave

#34 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:14 pm

I think I may kinda have a reputation for being a Gene Harris nut. And while I undoubtedly admit he is by far my most favorite musician, I actually find that there are many other DJs who play more Gene songs in a typical set than I do (!) I normally play only one or two...and much more often zero than more than two.

So aside from "Gene Harris in general", I'd say Junior Mance's version of For Dancers Only has become "my song", at least here in NYC.

gatorgal

#35 Post by gatorgal » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:52 am

Not sure if I have a theme song or a song I can be identified with. You'd have to ask the people who hear me play.

I know I have to play at least one Ella song in my set; for the longest time it was "Can't We Be Friends" because it accurately described the state of my love life.

I'm starting to play Ron Sunshine's version of "Natural Man" a lot. I also bought a version of "Evil Gal Blues" by Aretha that I like a lot, which would probably be as close to a theme as I would actually get.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Shanabanana

#36 Post by Shanabanana » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 am

Shorty Dave wrote:I think I may kinda have a reputation for being a Gene Harris nut.
You think you may kinda have that rep? ;)

gatorgal

#37 Post by gatorgal » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:03 pm

Shanabanana wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote:I think I may kinda have a reputation for being a Gene Harris nut.
You think you may kinda have that rep? ;)
Funny!

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#38 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:49 am

gatorgal wrote:Not sure if I have a theme song or a song I can be identified with. You'd have to ask the people who hear me play.

I know I have to play at least one Ella song in my set; for the longest time it was "Can't We Be Friends" because it accurately described the state of my love life.

I'm starting to play Ron Sunshine's version of "Natural Man" a lot. I also bought a version of "Evil Gal Blues" by Aretha that I like a lot, which would probably be as close to a theme as I would actually get.

Tina 8)
Apparently, I do have a signature song. Two people who arrived after my set last night asked me to play Ron Sunshine's "Natural Man".

Who knew? :)

Tina 8)

wheresmygravy

#39 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:49 am

I kind of have a theme song.

When I was 'establishing' my online presence in 1998 I was looking for a name. My handle was suggested by a good friend of mine, Lindy Greer. Well, for those that remember, "Where's My Gravy" was a song by Steve Lucky. Which I liked at the time

Don't play the song anymore, but I still have the handle.

mousethief

#40 Post by mousethief » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:30 am

Still looking. I think it's pretty damn hard, seeing as how I'm all over the map.

Kalman

kennly

#41 Post by kennly » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:34 am

wheresmygravy wrote:I kind of have a theme song.

When I was 'establishing' my online presence in 1998 I was looking for a name. My handle was suggested by a good friend of mine, Lindy Greer. Well, for those that remember, "Where's My Gravy" was a song by Steve Lucky. Which I liked at the time
I have the album (somewhere) with that song, and also "Not Now", which I used to really like and listen to all the time.
(*random recognition moment*)
Anyway, theme song for me apparently is anything by Sam Cooke...

Drew

#42 Post by Drew » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:41 pm

kennly wrote:
wheresmygravy wrote:I kind of have a theme song.

I have the album (somewhere) with that song, and also "Not Now", which I used to really like and listen to all the time.
(*random recognition moment*)
Anyway, theme song for me apparently is anything by Sam Cooke...
I have that album somewhere as well. I liked it a lot as well, but my favorite song off that was "Do the Pup." It's been ages since I've played that album, but I've still got a framed poster of the album cover sitting in my living room waiting to be hung.

I'd say mine is "627 Stomp" by Pete Johnson's Band, "Hot Biscuits" by Jay McShann, or something with a Lester Young solo.

Lawrence

#43 Post by Lawrence » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:29 pm

Drew wrote:I'd say mine is ... something with a Lester Young solo.
...because you're so cool and smooth even though your "horn" is awkwardly twisted and bent off to the side???
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Matthew

#44 Post by Matthew » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:16 am

Mine is quickly becoming "Chew Tobacco Rag" from the two-CD, Lucky Millinder set, Apollo Jump, by Proper. I love that song - it reminds me of my goofy side, without being too weird for dancers.

Drew

#45 Post by Drew » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Drew wrote:I'd say mine is ... something with a Lester Young solo.
...because you're so cool and smooth even though your "horn" is awkwardly twisted and bent off to the side???
how did you know?