The influence of "Sing, Sing, Sing"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

The influence of "Sing, Sing, Sing"

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:31 pm

I keep hearing the influence of "Sing, Sing, Sing" in many classic- and neo-swing pieces. Right now, I'm listening to "Every Tub" from the Proper boxed set, and at 1:56 the brass blares a famous phrase. I suppose that Prima could have received inspiration from another piece, but I hear many parts of "Sing, Sing, Sing" used in other pieces. The other day, I even thought that I heard it in an '80s song. Does anybody here know why it's had such an influence? Thanks.

Yakov

#2 Post by Yakov » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:29 pm

"Every Tub" from which Proper set?

Backwards reference: The standard big band, dance version of Sing Sing Sing has a piece of "Christopher Columbus"

Lindy Bomb

#3 Post by Lindy Bomb » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:56 pm

Interesting, I have a version of Sing Sing Sing from Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall, where the band just jams for a while and ends up going into Christopher Columbus.
As it says in the liner notes: "The Prima tune (so changed that it bears little resemblance to the original) is combined with Fletcher Henderson's Christopher Columbus for no reason known to me save that it goes well at the same tempo." :roll:

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:11 am

Yakov wrote:"Every Tub" from which Proper set?
Oops. From the 4-CD Basie set.

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:37 am

Lindy Bomb wrote:Interesting, I have a version of Sing Sing Sing from Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall, where the band just jams for a while and ends up going into Christopher Columbus.
As it says in the liner notes: "The Prima tune (so changed that it bears little resemblance to the original) is combined with Fletcher Henderson's Christopher Columbus for no reason known to me save that it goes well at the same tempo." :roll:
yeh, that's where it was first done

sonofvu

#6 Post by sonofvu » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:54 pm

I do not hear Sing Sing Sing in Every Tub but I do hear Lady Be Good in Every Tub.

julius

#7 Post by julius » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:17 pm

The "duh duh DUH duh duhduhduhduh" phrase at 1:56 isn't from sing sing sing, it's just part of the head arrangement as far as I know. It does sound a bit similar to the first half of the A section of Lady Be Good's chorus, primarily because the rhythm is the same (if you ignore the "Oh" of "Oh sweet and lovely lady be good").