Austin Exchange - the Theme WAS trumped by Music

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#91 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:37 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Lawrence wrote: [at 12:08 p.m.] From what I have heard, even from people with an incentive to criticize, yes, you do seem to be the only one.
KevinSchaper wrote: [at 12:08 p.m.] The friday night band just didn't sound inspired or happy, saturday was better, but I think it's silly to take all the barn burners and play 'em at 170.. to me it felt like training wheels.
I have nothing to add, just enjoying the show.
Cute :? , but they were written at the same time.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Serg

#92 Post by Serg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:53 pm

'Bout them Texas Trumpets. I thought they rocked hard!

Serg

Serg

#93 Post by Serg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:55 pm

mousethief wrote:
Serg wrote:Thanks again to Nate for hooking me up with one his Lindy Essentials CDs.
which one? i have volume 19 & 20, i think.

kalman
I got Volume 24. Awesome version of Darktown Strutter's Ball by Alberta Hunter. I also like Shufflin' and Rollin' by Buddy Johnson.

Serg

Shorty Dave

#94 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:01 pm

GirlieGirl, I thought this would be a good time to quote myself (!) from what I posted earlier.
Shorty Dave wrote:Also, kudos to ALX for not pretending to be something their not. We may hate to admit it, and there *definitely* are people who fall into multiple categories, but just as the LA Binge or ULHS caters to one type of swing dancer, ALX catered to another. It was definitely not monotonous (just ask Kevin and Kevin from Sun afterhours, or BillBee). And for myself and many others I spoke with, the music (both live and DJed) was some of the best music at any swing event. Especially great job with that Sat night big band...except, of course, for that goofy looking "bandleader" who couldn't stop talking between songs ;) lol
Just wondering, GirlieGirl what were you expecting? And what comments before the exchange made you reach those expectations? Nate Dogg, Lawerence, etc, made it pretty clear what type of music to expect. I surely hope you didn't pay all that money and waste all that time to come to ALX expecting a Triple Crown Summit instead...boy that would be embarrassing on your part!

Also, the fact that you think the music sounded exactly the same actually only says a lot more about you and your level of understanding of jazz than it does about the music from the weekend. (If I went to a County Music or Rap Music festival/weekend, I'd probably come back saying the music pretty much sounded the same. But then again I freely admit to know very little about both genres of music.) It doesn't take much music appreciation to tell there was a big difference between Kevin/Kevin's set, BillBee's set, Jeremy/Jeramie's set, Jerry's Blues Room set, etc, etc. Similarly, each of the three bands had a very different vibe.

wheresmygravy

#95 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:27 am

I was just honored to be asked to play! Thanks Lawrence. :mrgreen:

mousethief

#96 Post by mousethief » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:14 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:All of the music always sounds all alike? Eesh.
Eep. Just saw this.

Sorry we didn't have your personal CD collection to keep you entertained. Maybe instead of presenting their own scenes, exchange organizers should just ask for attendees to submit burns of their fave pieces.

Kalman

mousethief

#97 Post by mousethief » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:17 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:I was just honored to be asked to play! Thanks Lawrence. :mrgreen:
Let me second this.

Kalman

mousethief

#98 Post by mousethief » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:20 pm

Lawrence wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:Am I the only one that didn't like the bands? I mean they were *okay* for listening, but nothing that they played made me want to get out on the floor and dance. In fact, I avoided the main room at the Fed because of the bands.
From what I have heard, even from people with an incentive to criticize, yes, you do seem to be the only one.
I'll complain - I was DJing during the band! Ugh.

Also, we fell down in the jam circle. But my falling down in Austin ain't nothing new.

Kalman

Swifty

#99 Post by Swifty » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:33 pm

mousethief wrote:Eep. Just saw this.

Sorry we didn't have your personal CD collection to keep you entertained. Maybe instead of presenting their own scenes, exchange organizers should just ask for attendees to submit burns of their fave pieces.

Kalman
Glad to see people are open to criticism in addition to praise.

nocturne

#100 Post by nocturne » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:07 pm

Swifty wrote:Glad to see people are open to criticism in addition to praise.
...i was just thinking the same thing.

i was not aware that the austin people had to be a jackass to anyone who did not like the music.

makes me really glad i didnt go.
Vote Funkstörung. Grammy Winners.

Nate Dogg

#101 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:14 pm

Swifty wrote:
mousethief wrote:Eep. Just saw this.

Kalman
Glad to see people are open to criticism in addition to praise.
So, what exactly do you expect Kalman/other happy ALX DJs to say?

If people disagree, they should be honest and feel free to speak (just as Meighan was). Just because a comment is well intended and delivered as constructive criticism, that does not mean that it supposed to be immune to counter-arguments on discussion boards.

nocturne

#102 Post by nocturne » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:21 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:If people disagree, they should be honest and feel free to speak (just as Meighan was). Just because a comment is well intended and delivered as constructive criticism, that does not mean that it supposed to be immune to counter-arguments on discussion boards.
counter-arguments = being a *jerk*?
good to know, *jerk*.

cause i know *i* would tooootally feel free to speak in an honest way about the music after reading what all you *jerk*s said to Meighan. i wonder how many other people disliked the music, but now wont say anything for fear of your "counter-arguments"...which maybe is just your ego/pride being waaay too big.
get off your cross, you fool.
Last edited by nocturne on Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CafeSavoy

#103 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:12 pm

nocturne wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:If people disagree, they should be honest and feel free to speak (just as Meighan was). Just because a comment is well intended and delivered as constructive criticism, that does not mean that it supposed to be immune to counter-arguments on discussion boards.
counter-arguments = being a jackass?
good to know, jackass.

cause i know *i* would tooootally feel free to speak in an honest way about the music after reading what all you jackasses said to Meighan. i wonder how many other people disliked the music, but now wont say anything for fear of your "counter-arguments"...which maybe is just your ego/pride being waaay too big.
get off your cross, you fool.

counterarguments and attempts at wit are fine. but please refrain from name calling and invective. no one has gone there yet, and we like it that way.

Rayned

JesseMiner

#104 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:22 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:counterarguments and attempts at wit are fine. but please refrain from name calling and invective. no one has gone there yet, and we like it that way.

Rayned
I totally agree. Please keep this discussion constructive and away from the name-calling.

Thank you.

Jesse

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs moderator

nocturne

#105 Post by nocturne » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:36 pm

sorry dudes. i forget i have a bad mouth. i'll edit that.
my bad, it wont happen again.