Best "Exactly Like You"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

Best "Exactly Like You"

#1 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:38 am

I'm doing a DJ battle with Harrison in a couple of weeks (with Kevin T moderating) - we've picked 6 songs to incorporate into our sets. I'm set with the versions I want to play for 5 out of the 6, but sadly I only have one version of "Exactly Like You" which I don't care for that much.

What version of "Exactly Like You" do you particularly like? And yes, I have Harrison's blessing to get feedback from this board.

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:48 am

I have only a couple of versions of that song, but I like the Benny Goodman Quartet version from The Very Best of Benny Goodman. It's about 125 BPM, and features Lionel Hampton singing. I hope that's not the one you have.

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:09 am

I have a version by Carmen McCrae on a compilation called Priceless Jazz by Verve I think. That's always been my favorite.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Roy

#4 Post by Roy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:26 am

My favorite versions are:
The Ray Brown trio w/Gene Harris-Soular energy
Gene Ammons-Greatest hits vol.1 The 60's

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:25 am

My current fave is Earl Hines/Jimmy Rushing from Blues & Things

SpuzBal

#6 Post by SpuzBal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:11 am

If you have yet to bail on eMusic, go download the version by Hot Club USA. It's really mellow. Django's version is great too.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

lindyholic

#7 Post by lindyholic » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:19 pm

Since Brenda knows what version of the song I've chosen... (I told her just one :))

The one by Basie on the Complete Decca Recordings.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:48 pm

thanks for the replies so far. There is a version of Exactly Like You on Teddy Wilson's "Jumpin' for Joy" that I have - it's ok, but I don't think it's battle worthy.

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:50 pm

gatorgal wrote:I have a version by Carmen McCrae on a compilation called Priceless Jazz by Verve I think. That's always been my favorite.

Tina 8)
I'm pretty sure this is the version I've had in my head the past 2 days - it gets played a lot in Seattle; and I really like it - so I'm struggling - do I play something very familiar? or do I go with something more risky?

kbuxton

#10 Post by kbuxton » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:30 pm

djstarr wrote:I'm pretty sure this is the version I've had in my head the past 2 days - it gets played a lot in Seattle; and I really like it - so I'm struggling - do I play something very familiar? or do I go with something more risky?
Maren played a Nina Simone version at the exchange up there that I quite like.

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:43 pm

could be - in my mind it's either Nina Simone or Carmen McRae - I'll know it when I hear it!

They didn't have the Carmen Mcrae version at Silver Platters when I went today.

The previews I have heard of all the albums posted here has made me want to buy them all! I was able to get "The Very Best of Benny Goodman" - Teddy Wilson is playing one mean piano on "Exactly Like You" and Lionel sounds great so I'm leaning towards this version - it would fit into my set pretty nicely.

lindyholic

#12 Post by lindyholic » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:35 pm

Yes it would fit your set very nicely...

Until you go down faster then a chinese whore!! That's what will happen when I pull my Basie on you!

Ok, continue with thread :)

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Swingwombat

#13 Post by Swingwombat » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:50 pm

I've got a great version on Satch and Josh (Oscar Peterson and Count Basie), but as I'm at work and don't have it with me I can't remember the dance worthyness of it !

But its a great album and song!

Good Luck with the battle btw :P

:lol: Di

gatorgal

#14 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:39 am

lindyholic wrote:Until you go down faster then a chinese whore!!
Harrison
Ouch! Now, let's not get personal.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:04 pm

djstarr wrote:
gatorgal wrote:I have a version by Carmen McCrae on a compilation called Priceless Jazz by Verve I think. That's always been my favorite.

Tina 8)
I'm pretty sure this is the version I've had in my head the past 2 days - it gets played a lot in Seattle; and I really like it - so I'm struggling - do I play something very familiar? or do I go with something more risky?
a good similar one is by Barbara Morrison from her cd _Visit Me_, it features a duet with Snooky Young who's also on trumpet. That Benny Goodman one is sweet too, you'll find there are tons of good versions. Some have been mentioned but there are a bunch of others too. There are two nice versions on Claude Williams _My Silent Love_, same song but at 120 and 220 bpm. [For a fast version, there's one about 230 on one of those Jazz Archives Gene Hammond cds, it was from his stint with Billy Eckstine Band--oops, wrong song, it's "love me or leave me " on that session--rtw]. There's a pre-war organ version on Lester Young _This Is Jazz #26_. You could probably fill a cd with good versions of this song. For an esoteric but good version, try Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson & His West Indian Dance Band on "_Black Bristish Swing_. Good cd overall too.
Last edited by CafeSavoy on Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.