How do you find your new music?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

How do you find your new music?

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:31 am

How do you usually come across the music that you end up buying? Do you find it in stores, at dances, online, or in some other way? I'm talking about music that you aren't familiar with, not different versions of the same songs.

I discover a lot of mine online. Frequently, I'll browse Amazon or CD Universe, and I often check out the "customers who bought this item also bought..." sections. Then I'll listen to quite a few tracks on CD Universe. I find that this focuses on styles of music that I'm interested in, yet presents different musicians.

Also, I browse this and other sites, and make notes (ha!) of what people are interested in.

I learn a lot, too, by checking out musicians that people request.

How do you do it?

Roy

#2 Post by Roy » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:54 am

For me I am now trying to build up stuff that other people don't have, so what I usually do is listen in my car to the numerous Jazz or blues programs airing on the radio in Chicago, when an unheard tune comes on that may be good for dancing I right it down and then check it on allmusic.com, and if I decide I want it then I'll try and track it down. At home I listen to AOL.radio which has a particulary good swing program, more rare stuff and seldom do they play the 40's pop-swing that other programs are generally inflicted with.

Sometimes I will go off of recomendations off of this board.

I am also trying to build my collection of chicago artists from the swing era. I have the names so I am slowly just buying whatever looks good mostly the classics labels. That label has complete studio recordings, keeping with them will minimize song overlap.

I also go to used CD stores and buy anything that looks good from a recognized swing artist.

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:53 am

It's been a little bit of everything.

Mainly, it's been A&B Sound (a local music and electronics store). I like to go through their entire jazz section and pick out the cds that I think I would like.

Ebay's been great too. Though I haven't found as much, I have gotten some good deals through it.

Amazon has a lotta stuff. They make it easier to get a lotta cds that aren't so easy to get elsewhere. The downfall with it is that it's freaken expensive to ship to Canada.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:16 am

Right now since I'm extremely broke, I have to rely on the kindness of friends and strangers.

When I do buy, it's online since there are really no decent used CD stores in my immediate area.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:31 am

- Listen to what other DJs are playing to get ideas. This is probably the most helpful suggestion I can give you. If you don't get the chance to hear many DJs in your local area, then it probably means you need to get out and travel more to experience what is being played all over. It also helps to check out other DJs' recommendations or reviews on their websites and to listen to some of the online streaming radio done by fellow DJs, like Yehoodi Radio or Paul Overton's 9:20 Special Radio. I know I grew a lot as a DJ while listening to and constantly bugging DJs like Marc D'Olimpio, Bill Borgida and Paul Overton. And to this day I still constantly get ideas from Rayned, and most of the other DJs I hear turn me onto the occasional track as well. No, this doesn't necessarily mean that you'll end up like a clone of the DJ you've been studying. You might get turned onto some great stuff and then play songs that you've never heard these DJs play before. We each have our own ear for music and can pick out different songs, even from the same CDs.

- Do research online at sites like allmusic, amazon, etc... Allmusic is such a wonderful resource for looking through recordings by a particular artist or tracking down different versions of a particular song you like or branching out to see what other artists are recommended or following the branches of musicians who played on a recording you enjoy. Amazon and other online stores are very helpful for searching to some extent and more so for listening to sound samples. You are also able to find more and more used material online which can be helpful for those of you who don't have great local used stores.

- Comb your local stores, and buy lots of music. This is especially helpful advice is you have a great local store with a huge used section, like Amoeba Music here in San Francisco. New recordings can be pricy and they can add up when you buy a lot, and that can often force us to be extra selective about what we are purchasing. I find myself to be much more open to taking a chance on a CD when it is $5 - $8. I buy a lot of music that way. When going out shopping, make sure you bring your list that you've been growing from the above two suggestions. I always carry my constantly-growing list on my PDA and find it incredibly helpful to reference occasionally while shopping. Otherwise I tend to completely blank on a lot of what I am looking for once I am in the store.

Jesse

KevinSchaper

#6 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:30 am

dig thru the used bins and listen to anything that looks remotely interesting..

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:23 pm

It's all about the library.

Especially since I can get things sent over to my branch from all the different branches just before I change cities, and they'll be ready when I get there.

main_stem

#8 Post by main_stem » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:40 pm

Look at the personel on a CD you really like and try to see if they lead any sessions.

I've also found one new CD searching for a different version of a song I really like.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:59 pm

Kevin's post reminded me about the recording buying guide on Paul and Sharon's website. they have for good advice for general searching at http://paulandsharon.com/buying_tips.html

kitkat

#10 Post by kitkat » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:15 pm

http://potomacswing.com/lhmusic/lhmusic.html
Downloading everything; will listen to it throughout the day.

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:29 am

Rhythm Sweet & Hot, a...Pennsylvania, was it?...30's music show I found out airs here on Saturday nights.

swinginstyle

#12 Post by swinginstyle » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:43 am

Personally, I'm combing through the library for my music and then burning it. It works nicely. My next step right now is to find music that's recommended on dj lists, like the one on lindygroove.com for example.
Don't take swing underground!!

Dj G

#13 Post by Dj G » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:44 am

JesseMiner wrote:- Listen to what other DJs are playing to get ideas. This is probably the most helpful suggestion I can give you. Jesse
Right On Jesse!

I've always said: "I can't learn anything new when I'm spinning, but I can learn alot when someone else is."

another source: CABLE music channels. Found some interesting stuff and you can record it to TIVO too for fast scanning.
Yeah, that's Dj G over there; under the CD Bins, digging contently in the 45 rpm box :)

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:58 pm

Dj G wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:- Listen to what other DJs are playing to get ideas. This is probably the most helpful suggestion I can give you. Jesse
Right On Jesse!

I've always said: "I can't learn anything new when I'm spinning, but I can learn alot when someone else is."

another source: CABLE music channels. Found some interesting stuff and you can record it to TIVO too for fast scanning.

I couldnt agree more, listen to other DJ's will quickly tell you what not to Buy and play.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

Re: How do you find your new music?

#15 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:34 pm

Matthew wrote:How do you usually come across the music that you end up buying? Do you find it in stores, at dances, online, or in some other way? I'm talking about music that you aren't familiar with, not different versions of the same songs.

How do you do it?

My primary research is based off what was consider "dance bands" , meaning bands who's intentions were to play for dancers, such as Basie or webb to name the obvious. During this era of music much of the talent got buried because of politcal/racial reasons, and so much is still yet to be uncovered. You can discover these gems in many many different Books,Biographies,Discographies (Brian Rust being the best) .
when I come across a name I've never heard before it alwasy will send me searching....sometimes leading to something great , other times some bad.

My 2 main goals in DJing, Giving credit to those Musicians who first and foremost played off and with the dancers and Giving Credit to those great Musicians who have been lost or covered up for the sole reason of being the wrong Race, with those 2 goals in place, the only thing you can do celebrate dance....

On the giving credit part, yes, even the big Credited names Like Duke, are important even though he wasnt really a dance band (by dancers) he could play dances , and his importance cannot be shouted enough even 100 years after his birth, the majority of Americans will never really understand his importance. Duke did work with dancers for years and years and respected their art.

Now I know there is TONS of danceble music in the world, I for one to think anything is danceable, But I think it would nicer if more "swing DJ's" acually did the same, keeping in mind most of the stuff played to day at Lindy Dances was never ever played live for dancers in the first place, rather for a concert crowd (as in most cases) most of these modern jazz players dont even know how to communicate or play for dances other then keeping a time, and this goes for many of the Jazz legends post dance era. Its not there fault they missed the dance era and never had the chances to witness or feel the two together night aftre night both on the floor infront of them as well as the satge beside them, These newer players hence never made the attempt to collaboarte or understand to importance of movement associated with music.

So when Playin a Tune next time stop and think, did this player or group even care about dancin? most certainly didnt. But there were those that cherished Dancers not only as fellow friends but as fellow Jazz Performers , lets not forget them by playing and dancing to their music...
if not for it's supereo rhythms and driven force, but for the simple fact they supported us for decades, even when the going got tuff after the war, they continued to support us as their own profession was in decline, all through these strugglin Years, Barnett and Basie to name Two, continued to include dance,both as a social form and performance form, even as the trend of concert jazz took a hold and over shadowed the dance bands before them.

If it was in fact all the same , it would be easy , cause we would just support the perosn who supported us, but it's not all the same, there is dancer drivin music and there isn't.

although this attitude is a minority in those today that play music for social dances, it's would be nice gesture for those that do in fact care....

just some thoughts...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet