71%
Only if I want to hear "Jump, Jive and Wail"
4%
Never, I'd rather play Eva Cassidy's "Wade in the Water"
25%

Total votes: 24

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:05 pm

Ryan wrote:For anybody who thinks that Prima sucks (and I agree alot of his stuff does), I advise you to check out some of his earliest stuff from his New Orleans Gang in the 30's. There are 3 Classics Chronologicals that are actually quite good.

If you want an example and you have the "Engine Room" Proper Box Set (which I personally think everyone should own), there is a track on either the second or third disc called "Swing it".
thanks for the tip. I always thought there must be more to Louis Prima when I realized he wrote Sing Sing Sing - that song has gotten a lot of mileage! I'll have to check out the early stuff.

djstarr

#17 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:07 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:i like his "just a gigolo" which is also his theme song. there's a really good special about him that's aired periodically; he was the ultimate entertainer. he makes good fun party music, and it's mostly very beginner friendly. which is probably why it was overplayed and hence now frowned upon. another artist in the same category is Louis Jordan.
Yes, I agree - very beginner friendly. I really like Louis Jordan also - especially Chartreuse!

djstarr

Re: why does everyone hate Louis Prima?

#18 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:11 pm

gatorgal wrote:I have always liked that he and Keely played off each other... I can only imagine what their live shows were like.
Tina 8)
She's got a great voice doesn't she? Those are the cuts I like especially. and yes, it would have been fun to see them together; she had some interviews run on NPR about a year ago; she said that they would always do shows at 3 or 4 am after everything else shut down since the other entertainers really enjoyed going to see them.

I also got to hear Sam Butera play live at Seattle Center a couple of years ago; he certainly has made a good living in Vegas with the same type of act.

Jake

#19 Post by Jake » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:14 pm

I dig "The Pump Song."

Lindy Bomb

#20 Post by Lindy Bomb » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:16 pm

Lawrence wrote:remember that most of Louis Prima's music was written more for his Las Vegas lounge act than for dancers.
Doug wrote:Was late Prima still swing?? I thought he was driving a 2/4 oompah band.
Well, it does sound like Vegas music, and I don't think that much of his music (at least what's "popular") swings at all. It's similar to alot of Rosemary Clooney stuff, "Mob Hits" anyone? There's way to much "camp" for my taste, ie- Banana Split For My Baby, The Lip, JJ&W, etc. However, he can do some decent stuff. He did write Sing, Sing, Sing; as much as that song has been run into the ground, it is a pretty good piece of music.

I own one Prima CD, the Capital Collectors Series. I have no plans for buying much more. As of now, I play one or two songs off that CD (Whistle Stop; 5 Months, 2 Weeks 2 Days) on occasion; it is good for picking out stuff that beginners like (for some reason new dancers seem to love campy music...) yet isn't neo crap.

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:37 am

you gotta love "The Lip"... ok, it does suck to dance to, but it's sooooo funny. I also really like Beep Beep - it impressed me that that song was written in the 50's with the synthesized beeps.

Yakov

#22 Post by Yakov » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:52 pm

i like a lot of louis jordan's lesser-played stuff, especially his food songs from the first cd of his proper box. "beans and cornbread" kicks ass! and don't forget his "baby it's cold outside" with Ella

ok Louis stuff -- Bananna Split is good, JJW is good, Gigolo is good
Last edited by Yakov on Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toon Town Dave

#23 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:05 pm

I have to agree with Harrison on the vocals, at least for the traditional Jazz stuff his voice doesn't doo much for me.

OTOH, the songs on the Capitol disc are more novelty songs. I think they're great and very beginner friendly. Not amazing Lindy Hop music but still fun.
I do use them sparingly.

funkyfreak

Re: why does everyone hate Louis Prima?

#24 Post by funkyfreak » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:23 pm

morte100 wrote: I dunno man, some of his early stuff sounds right up your alley. Try... this JSP release: Louis Prima Volume 1
Ryan wrote:For anybody who thinks that Prima sucks (and I agree alot of his stuff does), I advise you to check out some of his earliest stuff from his New Orleans Gang in the 30's. There are 3 Classics Chronologicals that are actually quite good.
I wanted to chime in late and agree; his early work swung just as hard and sweet as other great bands (that even Harrison likes) ;) - his later (and larger) work obscures it for most people.

-FF

Nate Dogg

#25 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:37 pm

The beginners around here go for "Banana Split For My Baby." It is an oft requested song.

I don't think I would ever play Louis Prima at an Exchange or any event that is dominated by experienced dancers. But, a lot of his songs are easy for beginners to dance to and many of them are familar to even the masses. So, he has his place in my book.

We have an half hour block after our weekly beginner lesson ends, the crowd is mostly folks who just learned a few basic six count moves. The idea is to get them moving, by whatever means possible. Prima fits in here (as does some rock n' roll, jump blues, and other stuff that is frowned upon).

Also, the Jungle Book is my favorite Disney movie. So, I have appreciated Louis Prima since a very early age.

Nathan

funkyfreak

#26 Post by funkyfreak » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:12 am

Lindy Bomb wrote:Well, it does sound like Vegas music, and I don't think that much of his music (at least what's "popular") swings at all. It's similar to alot of Rosemary Clooney stuff, "Mob Hits" anyone?

-FF

gatorgal

#27 Post by gatorgal » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:37 am

:lol:

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

sonofvu

#28 Post by sonofvu » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:05 pm

I almost played Prima last night as a April's fool joke. But I played White Heat instead. I then stopped the song and said "April's Fool".
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

julius

#29 Post by julius » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:32 pm

Nobody in Austin can take the Heat, huh?

Nate Dogg

#30 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:34 pm

sonofvu wrote:I almost played Prima last night as a April's fool joke. But I played White Heat instead. I then stopped the song and said "April's Fool".
Matt Jones has been playing Louis Prima pretty regularly these days, a lot of folks would not have gotten the joke.

And Scott played that Waltz last night. That was kind of out there (for our scene anyway), but he was dead serious.

You would have to get pretty far out there for everybody to figure out it was a joke.

As for the wedding decorations prank, we should have gone all the way and gotten a few dancers to have pretended to eloped with each other, the odder the couple the better (i.e, Party Matt got married, so we decided to decorate the Fed in his honor). That would have been funny. The decorations just confused everybody as it was. Not that I had anything to do with that, I was just as surprised as you were to see the Fed in that state.