It's time for a "Silly Chat" forum!

How does this discussion board work?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Who wants a "Silly Chat" forum to isolate the chatter?

Me, I want one!
18%
Nawh, just let all the forums get diluted with chatter!
9%
I don't care. I don't monitor through email anyway.
14%
No, non-DJ-related discussions are inappropriate for this board altogether
59%

Total votes: 22

Spin Doctor

It's time for a "Silly Chat" forum!

#1 Post by Spin Doctor » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:11 am

I know there are a lot of DJs on this board who like to use it to socialize and chat about silly things. But I for one could not be less interested in having my mailbox get filled up with discussions about boobs and teenaged girls. I already raised a teenage girl and put her through college and saw all of that stuff first hand.

Now I would like to monitor the DJ Skillz forum and other forums on this board for interesting discussions about topics that will help me improve as a swing DJ.

Don't get me wrong, I know many of the chatters here and have great appreciation for each one. But is there some way that we can separate the clutter from the serious topics? How about a chat forum separated from the other forums to accommodate all of us with different interests?

Lovingly & sincerely,

John :x

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:37 am

I voted no (wish it were a less weighted option), because I agree with Jesse that such stuff really belongs on other boards.

Of course, I'm keeping my resulting avatar for a while, but a witty post really did devolve there...

I think one reason I read SwingDJs more frequently than any board but my home one is that I can count on the entire "new posts since your last visit" page being informative/educational.
[/2 cents]

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:08 am

Voted "don't care" because I am comfortable with either scenario. Although from what I've seen in my limited time on the board, discussions are pretty serious about 90 to 95 percent of the time. I think you get that occasional burst of "silliness" because its bound to happen with a large group of people with similar interests. After the initial burst, there's usually some course correction and everybody gets back on track.

I just see it as a way to blow off steam, so I'm cool.

I appreciate your thoughts though.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:29 am

There is already a separate forum for that, it's called Yehoodi.

For the most part I think that most of the discussions are pretty good about staying focused. More than any other internet discussion board I've seen, anyway.

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:25 am

I agree that I haven't seen too much chatter here. However, one thing I would like to see less of is advertisements for events. Isn't everyone here a member of some other national board or list that notifies you of upcoming events? Unless it's a request for DJs, I don't see why they're necessary.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:33 am

The occasional silly posts are always going to happen even if there was a seperate section for them. Why? Cause they never begin silly, it's usually a "serious" topic that gets sidetracked with a few silly posts.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

JesseMiner

#7 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:50 am

We used to have an "Everything Else" section on this site, but I removed it because I do believe that those sort of discussions aren't approrpriate for this board. I want an overwhelming majority of subject matter here on SwingDJs to be DJ-relevant, so this board can really be a wealth of knowledge for all of us who DJ. So far we have been very successful with that goal.

Of course the occasional thread is going to veer off, but that hasn't happened very often so far, and hopefully it will keep that way. This board should be friendly and playful, so the occasional off-topic comments will be made, and that reminds us that we do have heart and soul. I'm more concerned when topics either start of competely veer-off from being relevant. The topic in question here has already been halted and is really one of very few threads that have been inapporpriate (I thank you all for keeping it that way! :) ). I would rather evaluate discussions on a case by case basis instead of having a place where that sort of discourse is fair game. For now the official position around here is that this board is intended for DJ-related discussions only, and all others will be asked to be taken to other discussion boards.

Thanks.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator/Administrator

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:54 am

Note: I've edited your poll to add the correct answer.

Thank you.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator/Administrator

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:22 pm

Thanks for indulging us in a silly thread - it was pretty funny last night!

But I agree, I value this board a lot because there is very little chatter.

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:32 pm

Yeah, what Barb, Jesse and Reuben said :)

Overall I really like the way the board has been going. The discussions have been great despite the occasional topic drift from music to local events. It's a great resource to come back to a month or six later to look up an album or artist recommendation. As long as the topics continue to be titled well and stay close to topic I like it as is. I don't think the moderators have even had to post to many friendly reminders to stay on topic compared to other boards.

Yakov

#11 Post by Yakov » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:34 am

you scared me for a minute, made me think of Yehoodi barb :shock: