Only if I want to hear "Jump, Jive and Wail"
4%
Never, I'd rather play Eva Cassidy's "Wade in the Water"
25%

Total votes: 24

djstarr

why does everyone hate Louis Prima?

#1 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:12 pm

Since it seems we've established that no, we all don't hate wade in the water, I thought I'd try my hand with Louis Prima.

I have had the Capitol Collector's Series since Big Night came out (it was super cheap at Costco then) and have loved the CD. I started out spinning from it quite a bit, but as I have built my collection and people heckled me for playing him, I've dropped him from my play list (unless it's to tease someone).

Now that I've listened to a lot more swing music I think there are a lot better songs to dance to, but I still like hearing him once in a while.

Does anyone still DJ Louis Prima?

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:01 am

There non of his shuff "I have" that I really like. So I suppose I need to put him on the end of my wish list. Should get to it around June 2007.

Bob

lindyholic

Re: why does everyone hate Louis Prima?

#3 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:03 am

djstarr wrote:Since it seems we've established that no, we all don't hate wade in the water, I thought I'd try my hand with Louis Prima.

I have had the Capitol Collector's Series since Big Night came out (it was super cheap at Costco then) and have loved the CD. I started out spinning from it quite a bit, but as I have built my collection and people heckled me for playing him, I've dropped him from my play list (unless it's to tease someone).

Now that I've listened to a lot more swing music I think there are a lot better songs to dance to, but I still like hearing him once in a while.

Dude! You're last choice is evil, cuz I would prefer to burn in the pits of Hell for all of eternity instead of playing either.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:13 am

lindyholic wrote:Dude! You're last choice is evil, cuz I would prefer to burn in the pits of Hell for all of eternity instead of playing either.

Harrison
better watch out next time I see you - I might just play both for you back to back.......

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:13 am

i like his "just a gigolo" which is also his theme song. there's a really good special about him that's aired periodically; he was the ultimate entertainer. he makes good fun party music, and it's mostly very beginner friendly. which is probably why it was overplayed and hence now frowned upon. another artist in the same category is Louis Jordan.

gatorgal

#6 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:40 am

djstarr wrote:Since it seems we've established that no, we all don't hate wade in the water, I thought I'd try my hand with Louis Prima.

First of all... LOVE THE AVATAR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Secondly, I will occasionally play Mr. Prima. Because of JJ&W, the poor man got dissed a lot, but I like listening, playing and dancing to his music. I have always liked that he and Keely played off each other... I can only imagine what their live shows were like.

We don't play him much in South Florida, but when we do it's usually "Just a Gigolo". I've never heard any groans.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Ryan

#7 Post by Ryan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:51 am

For anybody who thinks that Prima sucks (and I agree alot of his stuff does), I advise you to check out some of his earliest stuff from his New Orleans Gang in the 30's. There are 3 Classics Chronologicals that are actually quite good.

If you want an example and you have the "Engine Room" Proper Box Set (which I personally think everyone should own), there is a track on either the second or third disc called "Swing it".

mousethief

#8 Post by mousethief » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:11 am

I have a number of Louis Prime selections. Depending on the mood, I have no qualms on working one in. My current fave is "Closer to the Bone" off of *wait for it* the Ultra Lounge collections.

Kalman

Roy

#9 Post by Roy » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:24 am

I don't mind his stuff. in fact I actually play "just a gigolo" every once in awhile. I think it's a good song to get brand new dancers on the dance floor, since many people have heard David Lee Roth's version.

I don't like "jump, jive, and wail" but the rest of his stuff is fine with me.

yedancer

#10 Post by yedancer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:23 am

Just a Gigolo got overplayed in our scene, but I still play it every once in a while. It's fun to cut the volume on the chorus and make the audience sing "I ain't got nobody." It's also a good song for a DJ battle, when you dedicate it to your opponent.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

morte100

#11 Post by morte100 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:10 pm

lindyholic wrote:Dude! You're last choice is evil, cuz I would prefer to burn in the pits of Hell for all of eternity instead of playing either.

Harrison
I dunno man, some of his early stuff sounds right up your alley. Try "Swing Me With Rhythm" off of this JSP release: Louis Prima Volume 1

lindyholic

#12 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:23 pm

Hmm....

The song had potential until I heard him sing. I'm really not a fan of many vocalists, especially Prima.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:42 pm

I know I get into the categorical, "this sucks, that rocks" rhetoric, myself, which tends to view the music world entirely in "danceability" terms, but remember that most of Louis Prima's music was written more for his Las Vegas lounge act than for dancers. He became infamous for his "Jump Jive and Wail" contribution to the Swing Revival, but he really never was a "dancers" musician, so criticizing him (or praising him) as such is kinda off the mark.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Doug

#14 Post by Doug » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:13 pm

Was late Prima still swing?? I thought he was driving a 2/4 oompah band.

kbuxton

#15 Post by kbuxton » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:58 pm

I don't like his voice. It grates very quickly. I DO like his version of One Mint Julep however though. *shrug*