Requests

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Kyle

Requests

#1 Post by Kyle » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:47 pm

we all know that request some times suck, and that we are not into them all the time. some times we like the song that was requested and sometimes we don't dont have the heart to tell them that Indigo Swing is dead! :)

but

what about a fellow DJ that comes up and politely makes a request. like:

Hey, would you mind playing "such and such" I really dig that song, and I think you would too.

or something like that.

thoughts...

GemZombie

Re: Requests

#2 Post by GemZombie » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:26 pm

Kyle wrote:we all know that request some times suck, and that we are not into them all the time. some times we like the song that was requested and sometimes we don't dont have the heart to tell them that Indigo Swing is dead! :)

but

what about a fellow DJ that comes up and politely makes a request. like:

Hey, would you mind playing "such and such" I really dig that song, and I think you would too.

or something like that.

thoughts...
I mentioned this elsewhere today..

When I'm at an event like the binge, I have an hour. I think it's almost rude for someone to request something. I only have an hour to play stuff out of my unique collection. At least, that's how I approach it. I know people with requests aren't necessarily trying to be rude, so It's not a big deal... but I'm not very inclined to play requests at such an event.

But when I'm at home, where I'm the house DJ... spinning for multiple hours, then I'm more inclined to fill requests.

It *does* matter how the request is presented, so I see your point. If the requester seems to have a good grasp on good music, I'd definitely consider it. If he hands me, say a Frank Sinatra CD, well... it's probably not gonna happen ;)

Kyle

#3 Post by Kyle » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:59 pm

sorry gem, I wasn't talking about a general request. I was asking what other DJ's thought about fellow DJ's making a request. not just the general public

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:14 pm

GemZombie wrote:When I'm at an event like the binge, I have an hour. I think it's almost rude for someone to request something. I only have an hour to play stuff out of my unique collection. At least, that's how I approach it. I know people with requests aren't necessarily trying to be rude, so It's not a big deal... but I'm not very inclined to play requests at such an event.
Do the people making requests (or the attendees in general) know that you've only got an hour?

I'm hardly the person to talk about getting offended over nothing, but thinking it's rude is taking a bit far, if you ask me.

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:37 pm

Swifty wrote: Do the people making requests (or the attendees in general) know that you've only got an hour?
and even if they know, it's not really their concern. they paid to be entertained, they shouldn't have to worry about the details only the results.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:13 am

For the most part, I will play requests. If it is a sucky request, I will announce that it is a request. If it is god awful, I will say something before and after the song.

What led me to this policy was an incident a few months back, this guy handed me a copy of the Night at the Roxbury soundtrack and told me to play track 9. The song was awful.

After an half hour went by, I had still not played it. He complained to the "management on duty" which ended up being Matt Stephans. If I had not been DJing, it could have been me. Matt championed his cause, before he realized how awful the song was.

My set ended, Matt Jones was next, Matt Jones thought the song sucked also. We ended up getting Matt Stephans to announce the song as a special request. Since, Matt Jones and I were violating some un-written rule that we are supposed to always play requests.

The guy got his song and gave me the evil eye as he left. Since, I was the west coast hater or whatever. Which is funny.

It would have just been easier to play the stupid song shortly after he asked.

Kyle

#7 Post by Kyle » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:23 am

hey guys, I appreciate the stories. but can someone please address the point of the thread.

thanks

(sorry if i sound bitchy)

Ron

#8 Post by Ron » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:39 am

But you entitled the thread "requests" and so now you've opened up the pandora's box. Because EVERY DJ has request horror stories.

But on your specific point, I think DJs should avoid making requests to other DJs, in general. They have their own time to spin. If you really want to turn on a fellow DJ to some great tunes, arrange a night where you can sit down together at the computer and trade.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:12 pm

Kyle wrote:what about a fellow DJ that comes up and politely makes a request. like:

or something like that.

thoughts...
Requests are exactly that, requests, no matter who they are from. They aren't demands, they are suggestions. There are a multitude of factors that influence whether or not I will be able to honor any given request (the crowd, the musical vibe, the requestor and the nature of their request, my mood, etc...). Since theoretically fellow DJs should have a greater than average ability to suggest something that would be appropriate for the current time and place and that I would like, there is a good, though not 100%, possibility that I will be able to fulfill a request from a fellow DJ.

On requests in general: I am always polite while taking a request and clearly let the person know that I will try to fit it in, if I do indeed have it, but that I am not making any promises. If they've brought their own CD, I ask them to leave it with me, so I can give it a listen and see if I can fit it in. If a person making a request gets pissed off at me for not playing what they want to hear immediately, they aren't helping their cause. ;)

Jesse

GemZombie

#10 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:27 pm

Kyle, to answer your question: if another DJ makes a request to the DJ at the time, I believe it's pretty much the same as someone off the dance floor asking. I've heard a lot of sucky DJ's... ;) It depends on how well you know the person, how much you trust them, and whether you think the requested song fits within your set.

Now back to the hijacking...

Everyone knows at the binge DJ's were on for hour sets or so... so yes. Especially the guy who gave me a request, he knew for sure.

Maybe rude is a strong word, but seriously, at a larger event the DJ is there for two reasons: to entertain, and to supply the crowd with *his* flavor for the short time he's there. If I do requests, I'm not going with the spirit of the event.

I suppose it just depends on the event and the expectation. Needless to say, I'm *less* likely to play a request when my DJ set time is only an hour, and it's an event like the binge. Is that so wrong?

Swifty

#11 Post by Swifty » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:14 pm

GemZombie wrote:Everyone knows at the binge DJ's were on for hour sets or so... so yes. Especially the guy who gave me a request, he knew for sure.
So, if everyone is DJing for an hour, it's impossible to make a request without being rude or violating the Lindy Exchange Prime Directive?

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:19 pm

Swifty wrote:
GemZombie wrote:Everyone knows at the binge DJ's were on for hour sets or so... so yes. Especially the guy who gave me a request, he knew for sure.
So, if everyone is DJing for an hour, it's impossible to make a request without being rude or violating the Lindy Exchange Prime Directive?
No, but you better not be annoyed and complain if it doesn't happen. As the other Jesse pointed out, it's merely a suggestion, not a demand. Like I said, "rude" might have been strong... I think "Less-than-tactful" might be a nice PC-way of saying it.

When I DJ a major event... as a DJ I have an agenda. Playing Frank Sinatra isn't part of it, unless I was *asked* to do that when I signed on to DJ. I think it's clear that promoters ask DJ's to do their thing. If that DJ's thing is requests, then cool. I know I was asked to DJ to play my flavor of Swing Music. So that's what I did :)

Kyle

#13 Post by Kyle » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:46 pm

all I was asking of you at the binge Jesse was to play something good. was that toomuch to ask for? :lol:

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:51 pm

Kyle wrote:all I was asking of you at the binge Jesse was to play something good. was that toomuch to ask for? :lol:
hahaha

yes, cuz i play sucky music! muahahahaha

Nate Dogg

#15 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:37 pm

For the most part, you are going to get more educated requests at Exchanges and other major events. And to take things further, a request from a fellow DJ is probably more insightful than most other requests that you get.

As for the stuff about not playing requests at Exchanges. I think that is up to the organizers. Perhaps you should ask the organizer before you DJ what their request policy is. Some organizers would tell you to accommodate most requests within reason, others would tell you do what you see fit. The latter group is probably the majority. It is their event, you are accountable to them. The St Louis Exchange is an example of an event with strict music rules, most Exchanges are not so strict.

I think an individual DJs artistic principals come in third behind making the organizer and the dancers happy.