When is your collection too big?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#1 Post by mousethief » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:53 am

Mind you, I'm not bothered about the investment, but I only have maybe 300 CDs - and no almost Earl Hines, unlike Rayned *sniff* - and I am having a hard time keeping up with my existing collection, much less additions.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Kalman

falty411

#2 Post by falty411 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:46 pm

start going through your 300 cds and find tracks that you dont normally play or have never heard before that are good for dancing. It will make it seem like you have bought 300 more cds!
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:50 pm

I think on I'm on disc 16 now... criminy, I bought some of this stuff?

On a positive note, my Duke collection is kicking azz over everyone else, including Basie!

Kalman

CafeSavoy

Re: When is your collection too big?

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:52 pm

mousethief wrote:

Kalman
Nate Dogg will let you know when he gets there.

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:52 pm

when you can't find a place to work on your desk because it's covered with towering piles of CDs

yedancer

#6 Post by yedancer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:21 pm

I'm about the same, and with no money right now I can't buy more CDs. However, I'm always finding new stuff in my collection to play. I don't know if it's possible to have too big of a collection, as long as you have the time to listen to it.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Platypus

#7 Post by Platypus » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:57 pm

When my husband thinks that I love my CDs more than him, it is time to stop collecting.

I like to use themes to challenge me to look at my collection in a different way. Doesn't matter WHAT theme I choose, only that it makes me look through my collection with a new eye. I search for songs that I have either never played or haven't played in eons. Themes aren't just "love" or "Christmas," but whatever tickles the fancy. Last night, a friend's theme was "track 9," choosing songs that were on track 9 of her CDs.

Nate Dogg

Re: When is your collection too big?

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:07 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
mousethief wrote:

Kalman
Nate Dogg will let you know when he gets there.
Since Rayned mentioned it,

At 2,500+ store bought CDs, I still buy new stuff every week. Most of my non-swing comes from pawn shops, most of the swing dj stuff I get from Half.com. I end up spending at least $25 a week on CDs on average. Occasionally, I splurge. Once I discovered that you could buy CDs at pawn shops for $3 in 1991, the size of my collection began to explode. Of course, the good swing CDs are harder to come by. But, I listen to a lot more than swing.

Lawrence I were discussing recently about how having too many CDs can be handicap in that you can't possibly listen to all of it. His collection is similar in size to mine, however has has more swing than me. There may be some truth to it, I guess it depends on what a CD collection means to you. To me, it is a personal library that I have spent 18 years building. I don't think that I have to get an ROI on every disc by playing it x times a year. I like knowing that the music is at my fingertips.

CD buying is an addiction of some sort and I guess I should feel guiltier about it. But, I don't.

Nathan

P.S. Everybody with large collections should get them insured.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:42 pm

Never. :)

Jesse

julius

#10 Post by julius » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:38 pm

Your collection is too big when you are trapped under a collapsed pile of CDs and your feeble cries for help draw no attention because the CDs reflect all sound back at you so that your echoing, dying words are the last thing you will ever hear in life.

Matthew

#11 Post by Matthew » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:24 pm

This is probably going to be controversial.

I'd liken a dance-building DJ and his or her songs to a carpenter and his or her tools. A carpenter needs some number of tools in order to build anything. If he or she were to build a cottage, some of the tools would see use, while others would not. If the carpenter were to build a mansion, different tools would see use, while some would probably go unused. If the carpenter had 1,000 more, potentially-useful tools than necessary, those tools probably would distract, bewilder, and encumber him or her.

You get the idea.

gatorgal

#12 Post by gatorgal » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:45 am

julius wrote:Your collection is too big when you are trapped under a collapsed pile of CDs and your feeble cries for help draw no attention because the CDs reflect all sound back at you so that your echoing, dying words are the last thing you will ever hear in life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think it's too big when you have six different ways to cross reference all of your CDs...

OR

If you had to save them from a three-alarm fire, you'd have to make four trips.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#13 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:01 am

Man, I don't even want to count up my non-swing CDs...

julius

#14 Post by julius » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:57 am

That tool analogy doesn't work. CDs aren't tools, they're the raw materials. You can never have _too much_ raw material when building something.

yedancer

#15 Post by yedancer » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:07 am

Matthew wrote:You get the idea.
I don't get it. Unless you're saying that a DJ with a huge collection should only bring a small portion of the collection with them on any given night. In which case I would agree. I know DJs on this board who do that very thing.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.