Music Monopoly

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#46 Post by mousethief » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:01 am

mark,

is someone biting your nipple in that avatar photo?

that's not an offer, just pointing out the pic, is all.

kalman

falty411

#47 Post by falty411 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:43 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
First of all, I'm curious by what you mean "responsible for".
Responsible for not only has to do with playing the music, but also helping organizers to select other DJs.

HJDF for example, Janice had never even heard of Greg or his DJing, but because the were recomendations from other DJs (who were resposible for their suggestions), he asked to be there. He then was resposible for the music he played. More over the competition music was selected by Jesse, who selects the competition music at several events, as does Greg (correct me if im wrong guys). There arent *that* many lindy hop competitions out there.

This thread came about because i was looking at upcoming events and noticed the same 2 names over and over. Then i though back to events i had been to in the past year, and sure enough....the same names. And also like I said my issue is NOT with WHO, but just merely wondering how something like this affects our scene.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#48 Post by falty411 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:59 am

mark0tz wrote:And in my experience, several do. I've been a regular [dancer and guest DJ] at k2 for a couple of years now where Rayned is the primary DJ. I've been to several events where Jesse has been spinning. I've also had the pleasure of listening to Greg DJ handful of times.
I have had the pleasure of listening to Jesse DJ from before he ever moved from Minneapolis to San Fran and then plenty of times after that. Jesse plays a good mix of styles, but i would say a very limited tempo range.

In the probably 5 or 6 times I have heard Greg, the music style and tempos did not vary. Excluding the once in a while token fast song.

With Rayned, you have far more experience. I have heard Rayned play some of the best music Ive ever heard. This conversation wasn't about him. However to say he doesnt have a specific sound that dominates his set would be silly. Rayned's knowldge also impresses me quite a bit and I am really looking forward to be in the same city as him.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Shorty Dave

#49 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:01 am

That's what I thought. In which case, as some people have already stated, you should check you facts, Mike, 'cuz you're completely wrong about some of the events you posted.

Also if you really are "just merely wondering", you may - as I think someone already mentioned - be a little more careful about how you express your thoughts/opinions. Your first sentence of your post can easily be perceived by many people as something other than "just merely wondering".

mousethief

#50 Post by mousethief » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:06 am

everyone on the board has a limited tempo range, especially from another's perspective. that's like saying (insert classic dj name)'s has a very limited range, he only plays '38-'43 blah blah blah.

if this "phenomenon" of 2+ prominent djs was a very bad thing, you would see the masses complaining or, more likely, spending their dollars elsewhere. we're not seeing that, if i am not mistaken.

it's a very small scene, after all. all dance scenes are.

kalman

Shorty Dave

#51 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:09 am

That's what I thought. In which case, as some people have already stated, you should check you facts, Mike, 'cuz you're completely wrong about some of the events you posted.

Also if you really are "just merely wondering", you may - as I think someone already mentioned - be a little more careful about how you express your thoughts/opinions. Your first sentence of your post can easily be perceived by many people as something other than "just merely wondering".

Mr Awesomer

#52 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:44 am

mousethief wrote:everyone on the board has a limited tempo range, especially from another's perspective.
I consider my tempo range to be 80 to 400. Do you consider that limited?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#53 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:54 am

GuruReuben wrote: I consider my tempo range to be 80 to 400. Do you consider that limited?
What's a 400 bpm swing song?

Ron

#54 Post by Ron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with so many events having the same DJs. To sum it up:

o Their domination is not as total as implied, because there are a lot of other events where they aren't djing and there are a lot of other djs at the events they are djing at
o Even if they dj an event, it doesn't mean they have influence on the selection of other djs at the event
o There's obviously a reason that event organizers choose them to dj--the market obviously think they will make people happy
o They are excellent djs who play to the crowd[/list]

By the way, I didn't read much into Mike's tone. Its a reasonable question. The answer, in my opinion, is that it is a good thing. I think it is great we have DJs like Jesse, Rayned, Greg and others that are recognized as excellent by so many people nationally that they are consistently invited to dj at multiple events. They help contribute to the success of these events, which makes the scene stronger for all of us.

Greg Avakian

#55 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:01 pm

Mike,
I believe your statements are based on your impression of of the scene, but you might want to ask first next time before posting.
falty411 wrote: HJDF for example, Janice had never even heard of Greg or his DJing, but because the were recomendations from other DJs (who were resposible for their suggestions), he asked to be there. He then was resposible for the music he played. More over the competition music was selected by Jesse, who selects the competition music at several events, as does Greg (correct me if im wrong guys)
Well, I can only speak for myself here:

Janice has heard me DJ several times and has complimented me on my DJing in the past. If she doesn't remember me, I guess I have to "schmooze" her more. :roll:

I did not ask to be there, I was definitely surprised to be asked.

I was not actually a DJ for the event; in fact, I was the only DJ asked to participate in the DJ battle who did NOT DJ at the event. So I had "responsability" for appoximately 15 minutes of music.

BTW, I have only picked (a little) competition music at two "major" events:
Jitterbug Jam (02) -this was not even on your list(!)
ALHC (02)

mousethief

#56 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:23 am

GuruReuben wrote:
mousethief wrote:everyone on the board has a limited tempo range, especially from another's perspective.
I consider my tempo range to be 80 to 400. Do you consider that limited?
actually, i would like to hear more groove based west coast.

kalman

eanniemeanie

#57 Post by eanniemeanie » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:10 am

Who DJed or selected music for the competitions was out of my jurisdiction at HJDF 2003. But for the record, Jesse was responsible for the music played during Hellzapoppin' and Rayned was responsible for the music played during the Apple Jack & Jill.

From my end of things, I think they both did an excellent job with delivering what was asked of them and more.

mousethief

#58 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:17 pm

eanniemeanie wrote:Who DJed or selected music for the competitions was out of my jurisdiction at HJDF 2003. But for the record, Jesse was responsible for the music played during Hellzapoppin' and Rayned was responsible for the music played during the Apple Jack & Jill.

From my end of things, I think they both did an excellent job with delivering what was asked of them and more.
and i am sure, because they did do what was asked of them & because they went beyond expectations, that they stand a good chance of getting invited back a 2nd or 3rd time.

probably because it was a good match for that one event.

kalman