Django Reinhardt

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

#61 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:44 pm

I've barely delved into the set yet, but I very much dig the Moten Swing with the ATC band.. track 19 on disc 4.. but I haven't played it to see how a crowd full of dancers actually reacts to it..

djstarr

#62 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:54 pm

Lawrence wrote:I remain open-minded, though, so please let me know which songs on it you particularly enjoy.
Hey Lawrence - another good one of this set is #17 Disc 1; "I'se a Muggin'" - Kevin S. played this on Thursday at a pre-SLE dance and the crowd really liked it - that was at least 150 people.........

KevinSchaper

#63 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:22 pm

djstarr wrote: Hey Lawrence - another good one of this set is #17 Disc 1; "I'se a Muggin'" - Kevin S. played this on Thursday at a pre-SLE dance and the crowd really liked it - that was at least 150 people.........
It's funny, cuz I usually don't go for that kinda rhythm much, kinda slim n slam sounding.. was right for that night tho, hehe, and I was humming it all damn night..

julius

#64 Post by julius » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:04 pm

Matthew wrote:I understand that, of course. I mean that it seems as though it would have been easier for him to use four fingers on the frets, and three to pluck and strum the strings, rather than to do what he did.
Well for one thing I seem to recall that Django often played borrowed instruments, and there's just not that many left-handed guitars that you can borrow to sit in on a jam or something. I'm left handed, but I play guitar right-handed.

Another thing is that even though he suffered a pretty bad mutilation, it didn't seem to affect his remaining fingers much so he only had to make minor adjustments in technique and chording to still be able to play. Switching hands to play left-handed requires a HUGE mental adjustment, especially if you've been playing for years already.

Matthew

#65 Post by Matthew » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:25 pm

I received the following wonderful set for Christmas:

The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order

I'm listening right now, and there's a ton of exciting music. So far, my favorite track is "Mystery Pacific" (track 16 on disc five). It has a 46-second intro (that starts off sounding a lot like Ellington's "Daybreak Express"), but the stuff after that is stunningly fun, and includes blazing riffs by Django.

mark0tz

#66 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:00 am

Django Reinhardt And His American Friends

Posted elsewhere about this set. Good shit. Favorite song might be I's a Muggin'.

What's that phrase really mean btw? Is there a thread for such questions?
Mike Marcotte

SpuzBal

#67 Post by SpuzBal » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:13 pm

As far as I know, it just means going out and having a good time (e.g. "The Minor Goes Muggin").
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

russell

#68 Post by russell » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:25 pm

I picked up this boxed set on the weekend. Great packaging with very informative liner notes and photographs. Also great music. Chose this set above Proper set becuase it had a version of Topsy. I haven't listened to all of it yet but great so far especially Topsy!

Retrospective 1934-53

Swifty

#69 Post by Swifty » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:48 pm

Check out this awesome clip of Django & the rest of Le Hot Club de France. Anyone know the documentary it's from?
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Charleston Charlie

#70 Post by Charleston Charlie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:25 pm

Nice. Very nice. I always did love that song.
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

Jase

#71 Post by Jase » Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 am

Not sure, but I have the Stephane Grapelli documentary DVD (called A Life in the Jazz Century http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009 ... ance&n=130) and it contains great footage of Django and Stephane playing together.