[Answered] St Louis Blues, Benny Goodman (1947)

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

blake

[Answered] St Louis Blues, Benny Goodman (1947)

#1 Post by blake » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 pm

There's a song that I DJed once at a balboa practice where, near the end of the song, the tempo doubled and the clarinet started playing the One O'Clock Jump melody for around 32 bars (+/- 16). Then it slowed back down for a groovy St Louis Blue finale.

The reaction was amazing. The whole room shifted and everyone went from a slow-moderate tempo pure-bal to a fast, energetic bal-swing, then back again.

Unfortunately, I was DJing the song from an online Google Music library and it was since removed from the catalog (I've switched to owning all my music because of this).

I'm 95% sure it was Benny Goodman. I'm 90% sure the melody during the uptempo portion was One O'Clock Jump. I'm 80% sure the song was a rendition of St Louis Blues.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

lipi

Re: Goodman Tempo Shift -> St Louis Blues into One O'Clock J

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Doesn't seem like the thing I'd play for balboa, but I imagine it was Benny Goodman in 1947 on Capitol. It's only 100 bpm or so most of the way through, and does have the funny ending you describe with a One O'Clock Jump-ish bit.

1947-02-12
Benny Goodman (cl), Ernie Felice (acc), Jess Stacy (p), Harry Babasin (b), Tom Romersa (d)

I have it on the Mosaic "The Complete Capitol Small Group Recordings of Benny Goodman 1944-1955" set.

blake

#3 Post by blake » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:58 am

I think that's the one! Thank the so much!

The entire album sounds amazing from the previews on https://de.7digital.com/artist/benny-go ... -1944-1955.

Now to just figure out how to buy in the US...

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:25 am

Glad that's indeed the one. :)

That German site you linked is a bit shady (read: totes illegal in the US, and ethically a bit suspect in Europe). The Mosaic box set is OOP, but you can get used copies on Amazon in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Capitol ... 002SKIRBY/

And...there's a used copy for only $25 for discs 1, 3, and 4 (missing disc 2 and the outer box and book) right now! That's an amazing deal for the partial set. (The track in question is on disc 1, so you're good.) I'd jump on it if I didn't already have the full set.