Recordings of band appearances in vintage radio brodcasts.

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Swingmagistern

Recordings of band appearances in vintage radio brodcasts.

#1 Post by Swingmagistern » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:33 am

Hi!

I just discovered the Cab Calloway "Jazz off the Air", which had some really nice, gritty, punchy and danceable tracks (Rhythm Cocktail!). I have run upon the Webb/Fitzgerald Savoy '39 recording and frequently DJ the Larry Clinton radio brodcast recording of "Study in Blue". really like the sound and feel of these! Du you guys know any more nice recordings with similar sound/feel?

BR
//Per

trev

Re: Recordings of band appearances in vintage radio brodcast

#2 Post by trev » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Look for anything titled "Jubilee" broadcasts. They were recordings made for WWII service personnel, and are usually pretty great. A label called Hindsight put out a good box set of these.

Swingmagistern

#3 Post by Swingmagistern » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:07 am

Hi and thank you so much!

Checked it on YT. "AFRS" seems to also be a good keyword for the war-time american broadcasts. Some stuff seems useable for swing dancing! It is a bit more like studio recordings in terms of recording approach and environment. Seems to be recorded in larger rooms with Microphones a bit away from the instruments. Found a nice GM broadcast: https://youtu.be/tsRFtFvZ0AA?list=PL1n6 ... e9AJNG40Ko

I enjoy the recordings from smaller stages with mics up close, like Chick and Ella at the Savoy, Calloway "Off the Air". The sound on "Live in 1938-1939" with Larry Clinton is magic to me.

Just found this https://youtu.be/i2bb67tL8W8 with GM making a real good take of Tuxedo Junction. Good pulse and dynamics, great solos.

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:10 pm

This thread might be useful: http://www.swingdjs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2616
There are at least three albums with Ella fronting Chick's band at the Savoy.

You might also enjoy:
Jimmie Lunceford's "1936-43 Live Broadcasts" on Jazz Hour.
Charlie Christian's "First Master of the Electric Guitar: Selected Broadcasts and Jam Sessions" on JSP.
Artie Shaw's, "The Uncollected Artie Shaw and His Orchestra 1938, Volume 1" on the Hindsight label trev mentioned. (I don't remember if these are Jubilee broadcasts, too.)
Count Basie's "The Golden Years" series on Jazz Archives.

Finally, try searching amazon for likely things. Apart from the ones you already identified (AFRS, Jubilee), the words "broadcast", "transcription", "ballroom", "camel caravan", "chesterfield", "madhattan", and "blue room" will be useful.

And post what you find! :)

Swingmagistern

#5 Post by Swingmagistern » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:18 am

Hi and many thanks!

I will dig into this during the week, looks like great tips!
//Per

anton

#6 Post by anton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:36 am

Also check out anything recorded at Liederkranz Hall in New York (sometimes referred to as "the world's best recording studio"). The Lang-Worth transcriptions were recorded there. You'll find excellent-sounding recordings by Charlie Barnet, Count Basie, Will Bradley, Larry Clinton, Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman, John Kirby, Gene Krupa, Jimmie Lunceford, and many others. Many of these transcriptions have been issued on LP/CD by Circle Records.

[The above is slighly off topic since these were not live radio broadcasts but pre-recorded shows intended for radio distribution]

Swingmagistern

#7 Post by Swingmagistern » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:13 am

Ah great!
[Grymt hörru, skall kolla upp!]
//Per