Good four-on-the-floor tracks?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Swingmagistern

Good four-on-the-floor tracks?

#1 Post by Swingmagistern » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:11 am

Hi all!

I have not been deejaying for very long, but have come to an insight that tracks with a solid beat on every beat from a double bass triggers dancers to triple step more than if the bass is on uneven beats. Early RnB like Wynonie does it, 30's Big Band does it, most Wingy Manone tracks I have heard are more on the 1 and 3.

Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions of good tunes with that steady pulse?

BR
//DJ Per Definition

lipi

Re: Good four-on-the-floor tracks?

#2 Post by lipi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:10 am

First, to avoid confusion later on, let me mention that the term "four on the floor" in jazz refers to hitting the bass drum on every beat, rather than the bass.

Second, once the double bass took over from the tuba, having the bass play a note on every beat became the standard. (Previously, with the tuba it was more common to play every other beat.) This transition happened around 1929.

Here's Wingy Manone in 1935, with the bass on every beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smvKn1IdzOc

Here's Cecil Scott in 1929 with "Lawd, Lawd". This one is interesting because it's right on the cusp of the transition. It's still with tuba, and for most of the track it plays every-other, but at the very start it's playing "walking tuba", if you will: a note on every beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4HQa6bhug

Anyway, like you discovered, many 1930's big band sides will do what you want. Basie, especially, should be perfect. One of his quotations gets bandied about quite a bit: "I don't dig that two-beat jive the New Orleans cats play. My boys and I have to have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating."

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:10 am

(Also, mods, please move to Swinging Music?)

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Moved! :)

Will try to respond with some recommendations later...

Jesse

Swingmagistern

#5 Post by Swingmagistern » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:33 am

Hi again,

Thank you very much for your response! The historical background was really nice!

I think what I am looking for is songs that have that pumping beat in the bass regions at 150-180bpm, preferably with a slight "just behind the beat" feel. The aim is to get intermedate-ish dancers to bounce a bit deeper and not skip the triple steps. I really love Wingy, but for this purpose, many of the tracks I have found are a bit fast and I think they have that on top of the beat feel to them like Black Coffee (which I play from time to time later in the evening at our social dances, when there are mostly experienced dancers left). In general, when I play "Keep on Churnin'" with Wynonie Harris, the floor gets this bouncy-stretchy feel that I really love when I dance myself, but the "lack of jazz" makes it less inspiring in other aspects and one or two RnB songs is quite enough in a set.

That Cecil Scott song - wow! Perfect for late nights and jams here in Gothenburg, I think :)

I'll dig deeper into Basie and appreciate further recommendations greatly.
Thank you!

Swingmagistern

#6 Post by Swingmagistern » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:54 am

Hi again!

On the historical transition from "odd beats on tuba" to "all beats on double bass" lipi mentioned (Lawd, Lawd w Cecil Scott and his Bright Boys from the midst of the transition in 1929): I stumbled upon this https://youtu.be/35LGk2IVCjs. I think it is recorded in 1930 an features tuba on all beats (as far as I can hear), Stop Crying w King Oliver. So much to learn for me, thank you!