The Chronological Classics Records. Authentic or false

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SerjDJ

The Chronological Classics Records. Authentic or false

#1 Post by SerjDJ » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 am

Hello everybody. I have a question about that CDs series.

I found for the first time a Cd's ( purchased in a shop ) with the cover image print on the disk. I think it's a fake.

Someone can help about this thing??

thanks,Sergio.

penguin

Re: The Chronological Classics Records. Authentic or false

#2 Post by penguin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:07 am

Are you trying to find out whether its an original issue, a copy or a fake?

If it's the later you can find the full discography here: http://ehsankhoshbakht.blogspot.it/2009 ... plete.html

For the original/copy thing - the Chronological Classics aren't being re-issued. I haven't seen any with the cover image on the disc but it could be from the period when they were being operated by Abeille Musique. Check the dates - if its after 2004, this could be the the case.

SerjDJ

#3 Post by SerjDJ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:16 am

Is a starting point for more research.

thanks Penguin.

soundslikejazz

#4 Post by soundslikejazz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 am

So I have just ordered another Chronological Classics disc for my collection and encountered a similar issue. The disc is Willie Lewis and His Negro Band 1941. The liner notes have a suspicious white border around the edge unlike any other set in the series which I have purchased. It almost looks like a laser printer couldn't property format the correct page size. It is shiny photo paper like the other inserts, but with this weird border.

Also, the disc has the same picture printed on it as the cover from the liner notes, which I've never seen before either. All of my other Chronological Classics discs just have a semi-clear background with black text printed on it. It looks phony. Has anyone in this forum discovered anything more about this? I collect these primarily for DJ resources, however I'm not interested in buying copies and would like to know how to verify this.

Thanks!

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 am

Why are you not interested in buying copies, exactly? I'm curious!

The original label is long-dead, and no new discs are being made. You're not paying for new transfers. The label is European, and all material is outside of copyright there, so you're not paying artists's estates, either (you never were, even when buying the first CC discs).

soundslikejazz

#6 Post by soundslikejazz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm not interested in copies because the money which I'm paying is for an original, especially when it is being advertised as "Brand New". Due to the fact that this series is no longer in production, some of these discs are difficult to find and have become collectors items and can be worth money if sold some day.

Imagine how one would feel is they thought they owned an authentic painting or prop from a movie set or something like this, only to find out later that what they owned is only a replica when they thought they had purchased an original. Given, these discs may not have that same amount of prestige, but when you're paying for original issues, you shouldn't get a copy.

Anyway, how the heck would someone even have permission to make copies and print the inserts when these sets have been discontinued?

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:50 pm

You said you were interested in these for DJ'ing, not for investment. I understand you want "original" if you want them as an investment and believe these will be wanted in a few years on ebay. If you want these as a utilitarian object, though (DJ'ing material), then copy-or-not makes no sense to me. Hence the curiosity. No judgement.

The permission issue is incredibly iffy. If you live in the U.S., for instance, you are already on legal shaky ground. Most CC recordings are still covered by copyright in the U.S. and the discs were never *legally* sold here.

Jose Tello

#8 Post by Jose Tello » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14 pm

SerjDJ wrote:Hello everybody. I have a question about that CDs series.

I found for the first time a Cd's ( purchased in a shop ) with the cover image print on the disk. I think it's a fake.

Someone can help about this thing??

thanks,Sergio.
Can you post some pictures of what you're referring to? It would be much easier to give you our input if we had a very clear idea of what these marks and suspicious qualities look like. I love the Classics label, and I think I've seen some questionable looking liner notes and album art...but most of the time it turned out to be just weird printing errors or sometimes the CD cases were left out (in the sun?) and ended up looking a little funny.