mosaic sets

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Re: mosaic sets

#241 Post by Eyeball » Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm

trev wrote:I agree completely, but then it's Louis Armstrong recorded live, in great sound.
Thx.

If one had zero LArm in their collection, this would be a decent place to begin and then work backwards, I suppose.

Rather have radio broadcasts of Louis and King Oliver from that beer garden in Chicago!

fwiw - Did you know that Lester Young played in one of King Oliver's last bands? How great would it be to hear a broadcast by them? (providing it was good.)
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

#242 Post by trev » Tue May 27, 2014 6:48 pm

The live Louis Armstrong All Stars set is now shipping. Here's a review in the Wall St Journal

Eyeball

#243 Post by Eyeball » Tue May 27, 2014 7:32 pm

decent enough review. wonder if he got a promo copy?

john

lipi

#244 Post by lipi » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 am

There's a 10%-off sale for Father's Day (does not include the new Armstrong, but does include the old Armstrong, the Ella & Chick, etc., etc.).

Eyeball

#245 Post by Eyeball » Wed May 28, 2014 10:24 am

lipi wrote:There's a 10%-off sale for Father's Day (does not include the new Armstrong, but does include the old Armstrong, the Ella & Chick, etc., etc.).
useful. thx.

j

penguin

#246 Post by penguin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 am

So the Running Low sale email dropped in my box today.

Question for those who have it - worth my while getting the Artie Shaw set? He is one of the bandleaders for which there's a big gap in my collection so I won't be doubling up on anything.

Eyeball

#247 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 am

penguin wrote:So the Running Low sale email dropped in my box today.

Question for those who have it - worth my while getting the Artie Shaw set? He is one of the bandleaders for which there's a big gap in my collection so I won't be doubling up on anything.
http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.a ... =244-MD-CD

They left off all the Helen Forrest material. And more. It's a handicapped release. Seek alternatives or gap fillers. Someione recommended another Shaw box set to me at a much lower price that had all the Bluebirds and most of the Victors.

trev

#248 Post by trev » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Actually, I say go for it. It's a lot of great music with great quality. The Gramercy Five material in particular is fun and great for dancing and I haven't heard it in better sound on other releases.

If you still really want Helen Forrest (and other) vocal numbers you can find them elsewhere.

Eyeball

#249 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

trev wrote:Actually, I say go for it. It's a lot of great music with great quality. The Gramercy Five material in particular is fun and great for dancing and I haven't heard it in better sound on other releases.

If you still really want Helen Forrest (and other) vocal numbers you can find them elsewhere.
I'll agree with the sound quality! Even on their web site, the samples sounded great!

Re Helen Forrest - It's not like it is her singing a cappella. She has the entire Shaw band behind her....and most of her tuners are first rate. On their web site, many people took Mosaic to task for omitting these.

So - Yes, buy it while you can, but look for that other Shaw box set w the HF sides.

Eyeball

#250 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Here is the alternative set I mentioned - $18.90 - the track listing is incomplete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artie-Shaw-Begi ... 1e8f770432

Eyeball

#251 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 pm

This is good reading! It's about the restoration done on the Mosaic set.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2009/11/how-rema ... -made.html

lipi

#252 Post by lipi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm

The Shaw is great.

That said, if you want to save money, the Begin the Beguine set John linked is O.K. (I believe it's a copy of all the Chro(no)logical Classics releases, repacked to fit on fewer discs.) The sound isn't as good as the Mosaic, but if your sound system is anything like the ones at most dances, it won't matter...

And I agree, the Gramercy Five stuff is fantastic (though you can find it lots of places, so you don't *have* to get the Mosaic for that).

Eyeball

#253 Post by Eyeball » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 pm

lipi wrote:The Shaw is great.

The sound isn't as good as the Mosaic, but if your sound system is anything like the ones at most dances, it won't matter...
That line caught my eye. Wouldn't his personal sound system eclipse the ones at dances? You know, home listening and personal enjoyment?

Honestly, it's generational I think, but I don't know what most music listeners use for a home sound system these days. Back in my day (hahaha) we were all about speakers and amps and turntables and receivers and equalizers and pre-amps and what not. Is that all gone?

trev

#254 Post by trev » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 am

Eyeball wrote:Honestly, it's generational I think, but I don't know what most music listeners use for a home sound system these days. Back in my day (hahaha) we were all about speakers and amps and turntables and receivers and equalizers and pre-amps and what not. Is that all gone?
Not generational at all. Music nerds will always want the best gear, just check out any of the stereo or headphone forums.

In my view it's because the sound systems at dance venues often sound terrible, you want the music in the best quality you can find. Might as well give those sound waves the best chance of making it to the dancers' ears undamaged!

Eyeball

#255 Post by Eyeball » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

The $18.90 box set has the Brunswick sides, too.