The Big 18 - Celery Stalks at Midnight?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

#46 Post by trev » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 am

Must be region dependent then - I get it on the Australian versions of those sites.

Haydn

#47 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 am

Yakov wrote:Do you have a link, dood? Cuz I definitely tried that...

itunes search: http://cl.ly/F9pW
emusic search: http://cl.ly/FAeW

and plain google search got me nowhere. I tried some downloading sorts of searches but what that mostly got me was episode 18 of "Big Bang Theory."
I can hear samples on Amazon UK mp3 downloads -

click here

(I don't think you'll be able to download the mp3s from there, but hopefully you can hear the samples, then buy the CDs or downloads in the USA)

dogpossum

#48 Post by dogpossum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Yakov wrote:Do you have a link, dood? Cuz I definitely tried that...

itunes search: http://cl.ly/F9pW
emusic search: http://cl.ly/FAeW

and plain google search got me nowhere. I tried some downloading sorts of searches but what that mostly got me was episode 18 of "Big Bang Theory."
Really? Sorry, I've found those albums so easy to find, I was actually surprised that someone as organised as you are couldn't find them.
Here is my actually-helpful reply:

I usually search for either 'big eighteen' or 'big 18'. Big 18 on emusic:

More live echoes....
live echoes of the...

If you still can't hear the previews, I feel your pain. The Verve stuff on emusic isn't available to me in Australia and it's MADDENING.

Yakov

#49 Post by Yakov » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Haydn wrote:click here
ok this link works.

(the emusic link just comes up with a big fat "nope, you live in the wrong country for that")

now that I've finally heard it... yeah, it's not bad, not great, nothing particularly special :-P

Eyeball

Re: The Big 18 - Celery Stalks at Midnight?

#50 Post by Eyeball » Thu May 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Does this album still get the plays?
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#51 Post by lipi » Fri May 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Eyeball wrote:Does this album still get the plays?
I have not heard it in the SF Bay Area in a long time, but I admit I don't go to very many different places to dance.

trev

#52 Post by trev » Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Nope. I'll give it a relisten.

Eyeball

#53 Post by Eyeball » Fri May 16, 2014 8:54 pm

trev wrote:
Nope. I'll give it a relisten.

As I recall - first it was big time with DJs and dancers, then it was being given not so high marks, then people accepted it for what it was....etc.

J-h:n

#54 Post by J-h:n » Thu May 29, 2014 5:28 am

I guess the version of Easy Does It may have gotten some play during the recent Frankie 100 celebrations, since it's probably the first track that those of us who were lucky enough to be taught by Frankie would associate with him. He used it for his classes all the time.

Eyeball

#55 Post by Eyeball » Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm

J-h:n wrote:I guess the version of Easy Does It may have gotten some play during the recent Frankie 100 celebrations, since it's probably the first track that those of us who were lucky enough to be taught by Frankie would associate with him. He used it for his classes all the time.
Interesting.

There is something about these 1950s 'recreations' that just misses. Rhythms feels different, section work sounds different, solos get too modern, etc.

JesseMiner

#56 Post by JesseMiner » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 am

Eyeball wrote:
J-h:n wrote:I guess the version of Easy Does It may have gotten some play during the recent Frankie 100 celebrations, since it's probably the first track that those of us who were lucky enough to be taught by Frankie would associate with him. He used it for his classes all the time.
Interesting.

There is something about these 1950s 'recreations' that just misses. Rhythms feels different, section work sounds different, solos get too modern, etc.
I wouldn't personally lump these Big 18 recordings in with all of the other 1950s recordings. Speaking as a long-time dancer, DJ and music lover, there is something about the quality of musicianship, the arrangements, and the sense of swing in the Big 18's recordings that stands out from the countless other "flat" and "uninspiring" recordings of the era and strongly resonate with dancers. The Big 18 recordings always packed the dance floor when I was regularly DJing, and going back to listen to these same recordings again today, they sound as good as ever. The Big 18's recording of "Easy Does It" has always been my favorite big band arrangement of the song, and it is definitely on the short list of songs to which I would never tire of dancing.

Jesse

Eyeball

#57 Post by Eyeball » Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 am

JesseMiner wrote: I wouldn't personally lump these Big 18 recordings in with all of the other 1950s recordings. Speaking as a long-time dancer, DJ and music lover, there is something about the quality of musicianship, the arrangements, and the sense of swing in the Big 18's recordings that stands out from the countless other "flat" and "uninspiring" recordings of the era and strongly resonate with dancers. The Big 18 recordings always packed the dance floor when I was regularly DJing, and going back to listen to these same recordings again today, they sound as good as ever. The Big 18's recording of "Easy Does It" has always been my favorite big band arrangement of the song, and it is definitely on the short list of songs to which I would never tire of dancing.

Jesse
I'll take a look on YT to see if anyone has posted them b/c I have not knowing heard these ever.

Eyeball

#58 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 am

I'll take a look on YT to see if anyone has posted them b/c I have not knowing heard these ever.
No can find on YT.

JesseMiner

#59 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 am

Eyeball wrote:
No can find on YT.
Do you not have a free Spotify account yet? Easy to listen to all recordings of the Big 18 there.

Jesse

Eyeball

#60 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 am

JesseMiner wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
No can find on YT.
Do you not have a free Spotify account yet? Easy to listen to all recordings of the Big 18 there.

Jesse
Thx for the reminder. Old dog, new tricks time! :)