Backup of a music collection on the cloud

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djman

Backup of a music collection on the cloud

#1 Post by djman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 am

Hello,

Do you think it's possible to backup a music collection on the cloud : itunes match, google music, amazon cloud player, dropbox,

How many songs can you backup ?

How much does it costs ?

Is it possible to synchronize that is saving only new music and metadata changes ?

Regards,
DJMan

kbuxton

#2 Post by kbuxton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 am

I have pretty much all of my music backed up to the amazon cloud because it's $20/year for 250,000 songs.

Oh, and they've got an app that will let me pick which new music to upload so every once and awhile I go through and update

djman

#3 Post by djman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:13 pm

sounds good !

A few questions:

If a buy a song from amazon MP3, download the file and change the genre tag, is the new tag value be saved on the cloud at the next sync ?

If a tag is changed on my drive, will the file be sync next time ? If yes, does all the file is downloaded or only the bytes that have changed (like in an incrmental backup) ?

If I understand well, if the file is matched in amazon MP3 catalog and I need to recover I will get a 256 kbps ?

Maybe it is a good idea to do separatly a backup of metadata ?

Is it possible to sync Itunes playlist ? If yes, only one time or is it possible to upload new playlist ?

DJMan

trev

#4 Post by trev » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 am

I'm using the iTunes service (iTunes Match) and I've written about my experiences here: http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2747

kbuxton

#5 Post by kbuxton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 am

I'm not entirely sure about if it re-uploads changed files. It does not upload playlists, just tracks.

djman

#6 Post by djman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:09 am

kbuxton wrote:I'm not entirely sure about if it re-uploads changed files. It does not upload playlists, just tracks.
I have just asked the question on amazon forum :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... BHN73BIZG9

Hopefully we will soon know.

DJMan

djman

#7 Post by djman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 am

I had contradictory responses from the amazon forum and the amazon customer service, so I decided to made a test. I should have started by this because it was very easy.

I upload a track, change a tag on my drive, and do new manual upload.

On the second upload the amazon music importer display:

"The selected folder does not contain any additional songs to import to your cloud player"

It doesn't see a tag has been modified.

I made this test with a track I didn't buy in amazon MP3 store. I don't know what exactly happens in this case, I will make the test later.

There is another problem with using amazon cloud player as a backup : if you have a data loss and need to restore. Amazon doesn't know the location of the files. The files will be restored in a new directory. Your playlists will not work anymore.

If you use amazon cloud player, I would suggest to make a backup of your tags with the free tagger mp3tag or the tag&rename shareware. Both of these programs have CSV export/import feature.

If you do so you can restore most of your files to their initial locations. Import your CSV file in excel or any spreadsheet. Add a new column with the folowing formula : move <cell_with_filename> <cell_with_initial_location_and_filename>. Copy the new column for the whole CSV file in the clipboard and paste in a text file editor. Save the file with a .bat extension. Execute this script in a windows command line. You may have problems if some of your files have exactly the same filename.

I would advice the folowing:
- tag your files before importing,
- don't move or rename your files after importing

DJMan

Surreal

#8 Post by Surreal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:50 pm

While not on the cloud, something like this looks interesting... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416607,00.asp

Makes for more mobile DJ'ing with a tablet/phone.

Surreal

Re: Backup of a music collection on the cloud

#9 Post by Surreal » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:13 pm

The simplest solution is really to just get an external hard drive and do a full copy of your music as well as the library files (usually there's an export feature of some sort depending on the software). Unless you've got terabytes of music, you should be able to copy it all overnight (and usb3 capable drives will render even that moot). If Windows explorer is dragging on moving so many files, try Teracopy.

Toon Town Dave

Re: Backup of a music collection on the cloud

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Google Drive and it's sync application would probably work. I use my own network storage for personal stuff but I use Google for financial records and other important records for our non-profit. It works fine.