Should I buy it?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Should I buy it?

#1 Post by Roy » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:17 pm

Here is a thread where DJ's who are not sure if they want to shell out some clams. Can ask other swing dj's if they have a certain alblum and what they think about it.

I'll start.

Does anyone have Duke Ellington's-the Intimacy of blues? I heard the song "just sitting and rocking" and I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I should buy the whole CD.

JesseMiner

Re: Should I buy it?

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:38 pm

Roy wrote:Does anyone have Duke Ellington's-the Intimacy of blues? I heard the song "just sitting and rocking" and I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I should buy the whole CD.
Duke Ellington's Intimacy of the Blues is a must have in my book, for the killer song "Kentucky Avenue A.C." alone. I play it all the time. There are plenty of sweet songs on there, though the only other one that I have DJed is the title track. I'll have to give "Just A-Sittin' and A-Rockin'" another listen as I love that tune in general.

Great topic. Keep 'em coming!

Jesse

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:59 pm

I disagree with Jesse on this one. Intimacy of the Blues is not a must have in my book. In fact it's pretty far down on the list. While Kentucky Ave AC is a gem along with a couple others the album the album as a whole is unremarkable.

A far better ablum is ...and His Mother Called Him Bill. This album is so emotionally charged you can feel the pain of the band members as they pay tribute to the departed Billy Strayhorn. NOt to mention ther a a bunch of overlooked gems on this such as All Day Long, Rock Skipping at the Blue Note and my favorite rendition of Initmacy of the Blues.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:23 am

it's a bit of a hassle, but i think dungeons and dragons 3.5 is worth the money. bump spells are only 1 minute/level now, though, and polymorph has been drastically altered.

kalman

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:23 am

since you already like "sitting and rocking" and there's at least two other songs you can dj, it's a reasonable buy.

Greg Avakian

#6 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:57 am

I think that if you like a song, the CD is worth it. I buy a lot of CDs for one song and I think this is also a good strategy for getting music other DJs overlook.

As for "Kentucky Ave AC" -I'm with Jesse: that is one of those songs that is worth buyiong a CD for...

Matthew

#7 Post by Matthew » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:47 am

I'm interested in a Basie CD called "The Golden Years, Vol. 2 (1938)."

AMG says that it features "airchecks and concert recordings," and I'm wondering about the sound quality. Anybody here have this? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.

CafeSavoy

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Matthew wrote:I'm interested in a Basie CD called "The Golden Years, Vol. 2 (1938)."

AMG says that it features "airchecks and concert recordings," and I'm wondering about the sound quality. Anybody here have this? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.
it's not bad. although some songs have better quality than others.

this is the track listing from allmusic:

1. Allez Oop (Basie) - 3:55
2. Blues With Helen (Basie/Humes) - 3:35
3. I Ain't Got Nobody (Graham/Peyton/Williams) - 3:40
4. Don't Be That Way (Goodman/Parish/Sampson) - 3:35
5. Song of the Wanderer (Moret) - 2:00
6. Mortgage Stomp (Basie) - 3:35
7. Every Tub (Basie/Hendricks) - 5:15
8. Song of the Wanderer (Moret) - 2:40
9. The Flat Foot Floogie (Gaillard/Green/Stewart) - 4:50
10. Oh, Lady Be Good (Gershwin/Gershwin) - 3:36
11. Boogie Woogie (Basie/Rushing) - 3:05
review 12. One O'Clock Jump (Basie) - 6:05
13. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart (Ellington/Mills/Nemo/Redmond) - 4:10
14. King Porter Stomp (Morton) - 4:20
15. King Porter Stomp (Morton) - 4:20
16. I Haven't Changed a Thing (Basie/Humes) - 3:52

Lawrence

#9 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:44 pm

mousethief wrote:it's a bit of a hassle, but i think dungeons and dragons 3.5 is worth the money. bump spells are only 1 minute/level now, though, and polymorph has been drastically altered.
:shock: Stop scaring me. :shock: You seem to know the D&D lingo too well.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

julius

#10 Post by julius » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:29 pm

a five minute version of Every Tub? sign me UP.

JesseMiner

#11 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:50 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but from listening to the minute-long sound samples of The Golden Years, Vol. 2 (1938) at B&N, I didn't get to hear a lick of "Every Tub", only the tag line of "One O'Clock Jump" followed by an announcer introducing the band.

On a positive note, from the samples they have there, the recordings sound really good. I'll have to check this album out (like I don't already have enough Basie!).

Allmusic's review ends on an apporpriate note for us SwingDJs: "A perfect disc for crate-digging Basie fans."

Jesse

KevinSchaper

#12 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:23 pm

I've had it for a few years - but I've always dug it more for my own edification than to DJ offa.. Though, I think I used to play I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart, and I know I've played FFFloogie off it, but I dont actually think it's that great of a track..

The every tub is 3:12 or so, the first couple minutes is the intro to the radio show (over one o'clock jump) and an introduction of the band ("Jack..er, James Rushing")..

There is a nearly 6 minute version of one o'clock jump though.

..and the announcer lets us know that Basie will be appearing at the Famous Door next monday, july 11th.

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:38 pm

KevinSchaper wrote: The every tub is 3:12 or so, the first couple minutes is the intro to the radio show (over one o'clock jump) and an introduction of the band ("Jack..er, James Rushing")..

..and the announcer lets us know that Basie will be appearing at the Famous Door next monday, july 11th.
yeah, the first 2'08 of "every tub" is intro and band introductions; it's pretty good version though.
some of the famous door recordings are on that upcoming "America's #1 Band" cd

Swifty

#14 Post by Swifty » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:08 am

That Basie Set looks sweet, but I'll have to check against what I already own to rationalize buying yet another Basie set.

I've been looking for a Duke set though, anyone have any recommendations?

mark0tz

#15 Post by mark0tz » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:45 am

Ya, that new 4disc set is gonna be sweet Rayned. I somehow found a pre-release of the set at a used CD place. The sound quality is very good considering the era of the recordings.
Mike Marcotte