mosaic sets

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

#151 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:49 pm

anton wrote:What a nice surprise!

Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions (#251) (8 CD)

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.a ... =251-MD-CD
That looks pretty good. I have the JSP set ("The Essential Sides Remastered") which is quite good. If you don't want to splurge on the Mosaic, it's an excellent way to go.

And of course this is going on my wishlist (behind the Lunceford, Shaw, and Armstrong).

trev

#152 Post by trev » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Another one for the wish list:

The Complete Chick Webb & Ella Fitzgerald Decca Sessions (1929-1941) 7 CDs
Release Date: Early 2012

The tandem of Chick Webb (“The King of the Savoy Ballroom”) and Ella Fitzgerald (“The First Lady of Song”) brought together a drummer whose powerful execution and rhythmic drive became a model for drummers up to the present day; and a vocalist who, although in her rudimentary years, was to influence practically all vocalists in the pop and jazz idiom.

The recordings gathered for this major retrospective contain the astonishing Webb and his tight band from their first records on Brunswick right through all of the recordings for American Decca. When Chick died in 1939 Ella was the new headliner for the band (led at various times by Edgar Sampson and Teddy McRae) until 1941. These recordings with the big band and splinter groups from the band are also included and not only do they reveal a consistently vibrant working unit but the increasing maturity of Ella’s natural swing and poise.

This focus on the Webb / Fitzgerald Decca sessions is an invaluable examination of an underappreciated band, an outstanding jazz innovator in Webb and one of the all-time eminent vocalists of any period. For the first time we have a complete retrospective of both Chick and Ella in the best sound ever captured of the music from mint 78s and original test pressings. Included are remarkable examples of Webb instrumentals that silenced all those “battle of the band” challengers at the Savoy: “Harlem Congo”, “Who Ya Hunchin’” and “Liza”.

Overlooked from this band are other notable jazz artists making some of their first recordings: R & B pioneer Louis Jordan; alto man Hilton Jefferson; Edgar Sampson (who wrote and arranged “Stompin’ At The Savoy” for Chick); early trombone great Jimmy Harrison; trumpeter Taft Jordan who was a mainstay with Webb before joining the mid 40s Ellington band; outstanding reedman Wayman Carver; the great Fletcher Henderson bassist and leader John Kirby; journeyman trumpeters Mario Bauza and Bobby Stark; pianist Ram Ramirez and reedman Eddie Barefield. Commentary on the music will be provided by noted author John McDonough and rare photographs will pepper the set

trev

#153 Post by trev » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Mosaic are slowly ticking off all my favourites. Earl Hines and Charlie Barnet sets would be the icing on the cake.

anton

#154 Post by anton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:22 pm

trev wrote: The Complete Chick Webb & Ella Fitzgerald Decca Sessions (1929-1941) 7 CDs
Release Date: Early 2012
Drool^2!

russell

#155 Post by russell » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:54 pm

To go on my list to Santa :D

lipi

#156 Post by lipi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 pm

The Basie Verve set is about to sell out. If you've been waiting and want to get it, now would be a good time.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/lastchance.asp

dogpossum

#157 Post by dogpossum » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 pm

lipi wrote:The Basie Verve set is about to sell out. If you've been waiting and want to get it, now would be a good time.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/lastchance.asp
I really like this set. There's a bit of squawky 50s annoyingness (well, it annoys me), but there's so much gold, it's hard to not find something to love. I use it for blues and lindy hop DJing.

There's a 1952 version of 'Goin To Chicago' (Jimmy Rushing vocals) which is just amazing... in fact, it has most of those classic 50s Basie favourites - 'Shiny Stockings', 'Jive at Five', 'Sent for you Yesterday', 'Down for The count', etc etc etc. Including two versions of 'Every Day I have the blues', one with Ella doing most of the vocal work (with Joe Williams' support) and one with Joe Williams doing the lead vocal.
There's plenty of fast, high energy swinging stuff as well, including a really fun 1952 version of 'Royal Garden Blues'.

The sound quality is just a joy - this is where Mosaic really shines. A massive band doing that wall of sound big band thing, but with dynamics and a lovely balance.

It's just that lovely, fat new testament Basie sound.

Eyeball

#158 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 pm

"quawky 50s annoyingness"

Huh?
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#159 Post by lipi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Good review, Sam! I'll add that the classic "Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings" album is part of this set (and the source for one of the "Every Day I Have the Blues"es).

J-h:n

#160 Post by J-h:n » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:29 pm

I have this set, but it's been a long time since I DJ'd anything from it. We kind of overdosed on 1950s Basie in the early 2000s, especially slow stuff like "Splanky" and "Shiny Stockings", and I really think we needed to get away from that groove. But maybe I should give it a try again. New dancer generations have grown up who aren't overfamiliar with that sound; for them it might be a fresh and exciting new thing.

trev

#161 Post by trev » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Coleman Hawkins set has been delayed until January. Okay by me because they have the best kind of excuse:

"Additional tracks were recently located and the clearance for these tracks has taken much longer than anticipated."

anton

#162 Post by anton » Thu May 24, 2012 3:18 pm

The Hawkins set has finally shipped, after several months of extra delay. Drool...

Let's hope that the Webb/Fitzgerald will see the light of day this year as well.

trev

#163 Post by trev » Thu May 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Finally! Can't wait!

trev

#164 Post by trev » Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Anyone got their Hawkins set yet? Early reports have been positive.

anton

#165 Post by anton » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:56 am

I received my set, #585, today. I've enjoyed lots of excellent-sounding Fletcher Henderson tracks so far.