New music 2010

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

zipthebird

New music 2010

#1 Post by zipthebird » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Year-end retrospective time. What other new albums came out in 2010? By new I mean that the music was recorded recently (not that it was (re)issued recently but recorded long ago). Here's what I've got so far:

Gordon Webster - Live in Philadelphia
Meschiya Lake & the Little Big Horns - Lucky Devil
The Smoking Time Jazz Club - Quarter Note Vol. 1
The Smoking Time Jazz Club - Living in a Great Big Way
The Solomon Douglas Swingtet - Ain't No School Like the Old School
Tuba Skinny - Six Feet Down

What else, in the realm of danceable jazz?

Gong-Oh

#2 Post by Gong-Oh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 am

From Los Angeles:

The Reynolds Brothers Rhythm Rascals: A Rhythm Rascal Cocktail, Zasu Records No. 7
http://www.reynoldsbrothers.net/index.p ... _cocktail/
It was actually released in December 2009.

Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys: Whoopee Hey! Hey!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kleinj7
Last edited by Gong-Oh on Sun May 01, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Rather than just listing albums (which is, well, mostly pointless), could people please add some notes about them? Mention if you like them, don't like them, think the band sounds better live, which tracks you've DJed, etc.

I have the Meschiya Lake album. I've played one or two tracks from it and they went over well (I think I played "Backwater Blues" and "Comes Love"). There are a few good slow (100-120 bpm) songs on there.

I also have the Tuba Skinny "Six Feet Down". I prefer their 2009 CD. From the new one, I've only played "You Can Have My Husband", which, admittedly, is an excellent mid-tempo (ass-slow, if you're Reuben) tune (143 bpm).

Finally, I have the eponymous New Orleans Cotton Mouth Kings CD. The only track I've played so far is "Delta Bound" and it worked great. I really, really like "Egyptian Fantasy", but you need an advanced crowd ready to experiment to play it, I think.

If you like modern New Orleans style jazz, these three are all excellent, and, for instance, better than any of the Loose Marbles albums (which, to my ear, tend to be musically a little sketchy).

flyingcamel

#4 Post by flyingcamel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:48 pm

"Nikki" Nikki Yanofsky, track 8: Bienvenue dans ma vie
140 bpm, successfully DJed to overwhelming approval :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4gbpBPPqE

dogpossum

#5 Post by dogpossum » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Gong-Oh

#6 Post by Gong-Oh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 pm

lipi wrote:Rather than just listing albums (which is, well, mostly pointless), could people please add some notes about them? ...
I would not list an album/song on this forum, unless I think it's good. Anyway, here are a few more comments on the two CDs.

The Reynolds Brothers Rhythm Rascals: A Rhythm Rascal Cocktail, Zasu Records No. 7

I already recommended this album on a different thread. I am big fan of the band, whose personnel changes often except for brothers John and Ralf Reynolds. I like all their albums, but I think this one is their best for DJ-ing. Ralf Reynolds on washboard and Katie Cavera on slapping bass provide a killer rhythm section. John Reynolds plays National Resonator guitar Eddie Lang style. Marc Caparone on cornet completes the solo section. I DJ-ed: Blue Drag, I'm Gonna Sit Down and Write Myself a Letter, Hummin' To Myself and Some of These Days.

Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys: Whoopee Hey! Hey!

The line-up for this album includes John Reynolds and other great L.A. musicians. So far, I DJ-ed only I Found a New Baby, which I dig very much.

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 am

About the Gaucho one: is there anyone else who thinks this band is over-rated? It's really popular here in the SF Bay Area, but to me they sound sloppy: their rhythm drifts all over the place. It's admittedly worse live than on recordings, but even in that video preview, they're not as tight as I like my gypsy jazz. Am I crazy?

Katie and Marc are great, so I'm going to get that Reynolds Brothers CD.

Haydn

#8 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Not necessarily 'danceable jazz', but I like the Beginners Guide to Swing collection which was added to Amazon in 2010. It's a mixture of old swing hits, new songs and modern dance remixes

Track 14 on CD 3 "If I Could Just Be Loved By You" is a nice groove track

Haydn

#9 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

lipi wrote:About the Gaucho one: is there anyone else who thinks this band is over-rated? It's really popular here in the SF Bay Area, but to me they sound sloppy: their rhythm drifts all over the place. It's admittedly worse live than on recordings, but even in that video preview, they're not as tight as I like my gypsy jazz. Am I crazy?
Just listened to the clip on the page that Sam linked to and really like it. It's a bit loose, but if anything that seems to be help this song swing along nicely - anyway it sounds good to me :)

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Haydn wrote:
lipi wrote:About the Gaucho one: is there anyone else who thinks this band is over-rated? It's really popular here in the SF Bay Area, but to me they sound sloppy: their rhythm drifts all over the place. It's admittedly worse live than on recordings, but even in that video preview, they're not as tight as I like my gypsy jazz. Am I crazy?
Just listened to the clip on the page that Sam linked to and really like it. It's a bit loose, but if anything that seems to be help this song swing along nicely - anyway it sounds good to me :)
I don't think the rhythm is really clicking, even for for the sound they're going for. I just listened to "Comes Love" off their artist page at Porto Franco Records to compare. It seems like rhythm guitar and bass are fine and are driving things but the percussion and drums are just fluttering about. If I had to guess the drummer is fairly novice and is too busy trying to play around with different sounds to keep a solid, in-sync rhythm and is not paying enough attention to the rest of the band to complement their efforts.

For a similar sound, I'd have to go with Zazou City, they're tight, talented and versatile. I stumbled across their music browsing the new releases online at Louisiana Music Factory. I really dig their CD "Liar's Moon". There's a few swing tunes I'd regularly DJ but there are also great latin, Waltz and Tango tunes. The title tune is a beautiful Viennese Waltz. It's just plain good music across the board.

Talking about New Orleans bands, I'd have to give a shout out to the New Orleans Moonshiner's 2010 release "I'm Coming Home" and for a bit of Western Swing flavor, Gal Holiday and the Honky Tonk Revue's "Set Two"

My hands down favorite release of 2010 is probably Crytzer's Blue Rhythm Band's "Chasin' the Blues". 3 original compositions and everything sounds like it could have been from a top band from the 20's and 30's. It's one of the pricier CDs around but it's absolutely worth it if you dig the old school stuff. Glenn knocked it out of the park.

dogpossum

#11 Post by dogpossum » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I like the Gaucho album because it has a lovely, gentle sound that's good for listening. I don't mind that it's a bit loose (I haven't found that distracting). I'm finding a lot of the bands that're cool this year a little hard edged, too many sharp corners. I'm down with this gentler style. Possibly because I am a little babby.

I've just bought the Mona's Hot Four album, but that was released last year. I think I like this more than the Gaucho one. But I lump them both into the same basket, mentally, and not only because of Tamar Korn.

Other albums I picked up this year:

Cecile McLoren Salvant's Cecile. I didn't mind this, but I've not DJed it for dancers and I was a bit disappointed because I'd so loved this sort of stuff.

Catherine Russell's Inside this Heart of Mine. I didn't buy every song from this album, but 'Just Because You Can' is the song I've had most questions about from dancers when I've DJed it this year. Every time I play it at least three people rush to ask me about it. I get requests for it now.
I need to know more about the band on the recording. I bought it as an emusic download and I'd like to chase the musicians individually (that's how I find a lot of new stuff). Anyone got some liner note action, please?

The Cangelosi Cards had a little ep The Three Diamonds which I really liked, but mostly because I'm into bands like Uncle Earl and Crooked Still, who are crap for lindy hop, but make gorgeous music for listening and running. :D

I really liked the Rhythm Rascals album. I especially liked the CD packaging.

I actually think I bought more new releases last year than this, but I've been a bit strapped for cash, so...

Gong-Oh

#12 Post by Gong-Oh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote: ... and for a bit of Western Swing flavor, Gal Holiday and the Honky Tonk Revue's "Set Two"
Just one comment. From the sample clips I listened to, I would not classify that album as a Western Swing one. Country music that swings isn't necessarily Western Swing. :)

Lorenzo

penguin

#13 Post by penguin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:04 am

@Sam - I'll loan you the liner notes next time I see you.

As for the discussion nothing comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned but I'm sure I could come up with a few if I checked Mr Jesse's show notes.

dogpossum

#14 Post by dogpossum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

A Melbourne friend just put me onto 'Michael McQuaid's Late Hour Boys' CD Hustlin' and Bustlin' which I've only just bought (there are limited numbers so you might want to buy now if you're interested).
This group of musicians is really top notch - all their various projects are extremely excellent. You can see them playing here. My favourite bit of that clip is where the clarinettist gets distracted by his babby.