Reading the Floor

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

chao06

Reading the Floor

#1 Post by chao06 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:51 pm

What does "reading the floor" mean to you?

It's something that I've picked up over time, but I can't really put it into words.

How would you describe it? What things do you look for, and how does it affect what you play next?

Haydn

Re: Reading the Floor

#2 Post by Haydn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:05 pm

chao06 wrote:What does "reading the floor" mean to you?

It's something that I've picked up over time, but I can't really put it into words.

How would you describe it? What things do you look for, and how does it affect what you play next?
Here's an ancient thread on the subject ...

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=341

I suppose it's something to do with the energy in the room - that's what we are working with isn't it? So 'reading the floor' means keeping an eye on the dancers in the room, trying to keep them happy by using the music to manage the energy in the room. It should include judging when people want to slow down the pace or change the mood.

Some things I look out for are:

• Clapping/laughing/people dancing on their own - if people are doing these things spontaneously, there's energy in the room

• Body language of the people who aren't dancing - are they tapping their feet and nodding their head showing they are into the music or do they look bored? (There will nearly always be people who aren't dancing as well as people who are - and it's important to watch them too)

In a way, it's all about 'connecting' with the 'floor' in the same way what you would connect with someone in a dance - listening and responding to them. You are reading the floor instead of reading your partner.

P.S. What does it mean to you, chao06 ;) ?