Disco XT fade help

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

namenloss

Disco XT fade help

#1 Post by namenloss » Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 am

Hi there.

Short Edition: Anyone got a fade setting for Disco XT that works for swing music?

Long edition:
I have recently started using Disco XT for DJ´ing and like it so far for the most part.

However, I cannot find or create a fade that works well with swing music. I would like to use the automix feature and then just add songs to the queue and let the software start/ stop songs etc. However, I cant create a fade, that will just let the current song play out, wait 1-2 seconds and then start the new song. No matter what I do, Disco XT always ends the current song a second or 2 before the end. This obviously doesnt work very well with songs that have "sound" all the way to end.

Anyone using Disco XT that can help me out on this one?

/Soren

trev

#2 Post by trev » Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 am

Hi Soren,

It's working for me, so I'm not sure what's happening. There is a built-in fade labeled as "Gap 2.0 sec" which if not visible can be selected via Mix >Fade > Gap 2.0 sec

This setting still has a slight fade out, but I can edit it via: Edit > Fade Editor and then changing the Fade out value to 0 (or something close to 0 like 20 ms)

The only other thing I can think of is make sure it is set to Gap 2.0 sec and not Crossfade 2.0 sec

Trev.

namenloss

#3 Post by namenloss » Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 am

Hey Trev.

Yeah, I had played around with the editor as you suggested and created fades with just an off-set or used the GAB x.xx as this would seem to be the right choice.

However, look at this example:

now look at where disco XT places the little fade-start markers when using that fade:

Its not at the end of the song, but about maybe 1 second before...I might have activated some setting somewhere or something??

Your help is appreciated!

/Soren

namenloss

#4 Post by namenloss » Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 am

well, I seem to have solved this.

In the mix menu, I had selected (or the default setting is) trim ends and trim starts...So if there was a little bit of silence at the end of a song and then something, the something would get cut out...Seems to work now with no "triming" selected.

Thx again for your help!

/Soren

trev

#5 Post by trev » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Oh that's good to know. I also had trim starts and trim ends enabled, but I hadn't yet used a song with some silence that had set it off unintentionally.

Thunderbunny

#6 Post by Thunderbunny » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 am

Helpful thread. I was having the same problem, namenloss.

I really like alot of features in Disco XT, but the glitches, bugs, weird default settings can drive me nuts. The other day, I dragged a song from my deck A queue to deck A and played it. Then partway through the song I removed it from my queue. This also removed it from the deck; killing the song mid-play. Unpleasant...

Cyrano de Maniac

#7 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 am

I'm not sure if this applies to the current version of Disco XT, but I exchanged email with the developer several times when using the previous version regarding this very issue and others.

I don't have my laptop in front of me to check out the specifics, but under the settings there was a checkbox for "Auto endpoint detection disable". This would bypass automatic end-of-song detection.

The other helpful thing I set up (which again required email with the developer to fix a bug), was to set up a 0 millisecond fade-out and fade-in. This works better for swing DJing than the standard fades, so that you don't accidentally fade-out a final band hit at the end of a song. Even if it's audible, it sucks the energy out of that final big hit as the auto-fader kicks in.

Brent

kim

#8 Post by kim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Hey all,

I know this is a very old forum thread... but I've recently purchased Disco XT and have had all sorts of problems with it trimming the start of tracks. I have 2 sec gap, no fading at all, all the auto trim settings disabled, and start points set manually to the very beginning of each track - but on quite a few songs it clips the start of the track (on one track I lose a full 5 second into).

Even though the waveform starts scrolling at the start of the track... the actual playback starts further into the track.

I've emailed the developer but I think he is away... his replies take about a week :/

Is anyone using Disco XT with complete success?

Cheers,
Kim :)

dogpossum

#9 Post by dogpossum » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 pm

[Totally unhelpful: I tried DiscoXT for a while but found it too frustrating. Gave up.]

kim

#10 Post by kim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks Sam (not unhelpful). I'm almost coming to the same conclusion...
Do you use something else for playback/headphone splitting, or just iTunes?

trev

#11 Post by trev » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I too have given up on Disco XT. Embarrassed me too many times at live gigs. They have supposedly fixed a lot of things in the latest update, but I haven't tested it yet.