Competition Music

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

russell

#16 Post by russell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback - esp as a competitor. I will check what that song was when I have access to my mac at home. :)

Surreal

#17 Post by Surreal » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 pm

trev wrote:...and music ready to go if there is an interruption or delay (like a concussed follow ;) ).
Wait... what happened?

trev

#18 Post by trev » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 am

Surreal wrote:
trev wrote:...and music ready to go if there is an interruption or delay (like a concussed follow ;) ).
Wait... what happened?
Last year I was DJing a comp when an aerial went wrong and the follow was knocked unconscious. I faded the music down as people rushed to her aid (many doctors in the audience, fortunately!). Then, realizing that silence would make things worse, I quickly played a song as background music while they cleared the scene of the accident. Not sure whether "Smack Dab in the Middle" was entirely appropriate ;)

russell

#19 Post by russell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 am

nice one Trev :)

Songs for Strictly Lindy Hop heat (all spotlights)

Down South Camp Meeting - Benny Goodman (188)
Flying Home - Charlie Barnet (185)
Christopher Columbus - Chu Berry (187)
Sing You Sinners - Ben Webster (185)
Flying Home No 2 - Lionel Hampton (188)
The Minor Riff - Jimmie Lunceford (189) (your song Gunter)
T'aint What You Do - Jimmie Lunceford (185)
Up Jumped The Devil - Earl Hines (187)
Redskin Rhumba - Charlie Barnet (188)
Peckin - Benny Goodman (188)
Chant of the Groove - Fats Waller (186)

Final Spotlights

Paganini Caprice - Benny Goodman (192)
Lumby - Charlie Barnet (194)
Jumpin' For Joy - Teddy Wilson (197)
Lindyhoppers Delight - Ella Fitzgerald (Chick Webb band) (196)
Ball of Fire - Gene Krupa (194)
Artie Shaw - Back Bay Shuffle (192)

Final All-Skate

It Don't Mean A Thing - Duke Ellington (with Ivie Anderson) (211)

anton

#20 Post by anton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 am

russell wrote: Christopher Columbus - Chu Berry (187)
Sing You Sinners - Ben Webster (185)
Dr. Henderson I presume? :wink:
russell wrote: The Minor Riff - Jimmie Lunceford (189) (your song Gunter)
Funnily this was also recorded by Fletcher Henderson - never heard the Lunceford version. Live recording?

lipi

#21 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 pm

anton wrote:
russell wrote: The Minor Riff - Jimmie Lunceford (189) (your song Gunter)
Funnily this was also recorded by Fletcher Henderson - never heard the Lunceford version. Live recording?
I'm curious about the Lunceford one, too. Allmusic doesn't list any Lunceford versions.

The Henderson version from 1945 is great, but a little slower (around 171). I have it on volume 4 of "That Devilin' Tune" and on Chrono Classics' "Complementary Tracks", that 3 CD set of odds and ends. Strictly for dancing, the Chrono set is the way to go (it's cheaper, too). History wise, the Devilin' Tune sets are fantastic.

russell

#22 Post by russell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 pm

The two Jimmie Lunceford tracks are both from this CD

http://www.amazon.com/1943-45-Broadcasts/dp/B0011D69J6

Yes live broadcasts.

russell

#23 Post by russell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Christopher Columbus - Fletcher Henderson (off Chu Berry Mosaic set)
Sing You Sinners - Fletcher Henderson (off Ben Webster Proper set)

(need to improve my library system :) )

trev

#24 Post by trev » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 pm

lipi wrote: History wise, the Devilin' Tune sets are fantastic.
Offtopic, but yes I love the Devillin' Tune sets. Lots of amazing recordings, and fascinating when juxtaposed with blues & country-leaning jazz. Not so great for DJing as you say, but good for mind-expansion.

fredo

#25 Post by fredo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:17 am

The major comps are mostly to live music these days, which i'm all in favor of. I think if I had enough recordings that were of contemporary bands, or of live dance recordings (assuming they were the right length and didn't lose energy somewhere in the middle) I'd play them instead of the older usual suspects that are played contests over and over.

Sadly, most events don't spend the money to have their contest bands (or any of there bands) recorded live at their events, so most of this great music is not captured.

If it were though, then contests that for whatever reason can't have live music would have more options for presenting high energy recordings with modern sound quality for their contestants. A bonus to this would be more recordings with different arrangements and solos that people haven't memorized already. Not only that, but there then might be more high energy recordings of songs that are long enough to accommodate the length of dance contests.

Anyway, I guess I just wish more events recorded their bands live at their events. Too many times great bands are put together and play great sets only to be lost to youtube and collective memory. I recently had Crytzer's Blue Rhythm Band recorded live at our exchange in Seattle, and even though not every track is mistake-free, there are still several tracks i happily DJ for dances because the energy and sound quality are undeniably dance inspiring.

kitkat

#26 Post by kitkat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:53 am

That and even some of the social dancing songs from those same nights.

I mean, of course, your band's gotta be down with it...

...but it's a lot of effort for a band to lug sound recording equipment and set it up in addition to all their other stuff.

I know the "Hot Swing Combo" in the Twin Cities would've loved to record several of their major dance shows. And all of 1 has actually gotten recorded. (The one you hear on the Myspace page.) Which is a real shame, because they've played well at all those gigs, and their sound has varied on many of them, but only 1 sound exists archived (other than in the microphones of video cameras on YouTube).

Even when the band's down with it, if someone who's already been at the event for hours, and has just had a stretch and a Jimmy John's, can have brought equipment and can run wires instead, I think that'd help a lot to get more of our favorite bands recorded.

And then I'd have more good memory tracks! (Yup--it's all about me.)

tornredcarpet

#27 Post by tornredcarpet » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:15 pm

but what about in-line recording? (that's just a random term I heard and don't claim to know about so feel free to educate me)

Like take all the tracks and take them for separate mixing and mastering later...
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

kitkat

#28 Post by kitkat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:09 am

Someone still has to bring a thing capable of storing music in it.

And has to take the time to get it plugged in & working properly.

Cyrano de Maniac

#29 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:27 am

kitkat wrote:Someone still has to bring a thing capable of storing music in it.

And has to take the time to get it plugged in & working properly.
And someone needs to tend the recording mix -- it's not always possible for one person to multitask between the live sound requirements and the recording requirements.

Also, getting a good recording typically requires more equipment than getting good live sound. Instruments that are mainly acoustic (e.g. drums) or amplified on stage (e.g. electric guitars) may require microphones/etc to capture them on a recording that aren't needed in the live environment as the live audience gets a lot of the required sound directly from the stage.

I agree though, it would be incredible to capture more live performances of today's bands. I'm sure others have observed, like me, that live albums just seem to have an energy and raw excitement to them that studio albums lack. But to do it well at all is a major undertaking that requires a significant investment in equipment, and time before, during, and after the event.

Then there's the legal matters of all the various types of royalties, etc. You could fly under the ASCAP/BMI/RIAA/etc radar on this if only you and a couple of friends obtain these recordings, but it could get significantly stickier with wider distribution.

If someone wants to go through the effort and expense, I say more power to them. Unfortunately it's far from an inexpensive and simple process.

Brent