Last 10?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Last 10?

#1 Post by Roy » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:12 pm

What are the last 10 jazz or swing CD's you purchased. Anything stand out as good or bad.

Here's mine:
Benny Carther and his Orchestra 1937-39
Henry Red Allen and his New York Orchestra 1929-30
Big Bill Broozny-Play your hand(great delta blues)
Sam Jones-right down front(Groove, not very good for groove)
Joe Williams-Every day, the best of the Verve years
Sam Price and his Texas Blusicians 1929-1941(this CD kicks butt)
Jay McShann and his orchestra 1941-43
Jimmy Rushing-Every Day I have the Blues
Jay McShann, duke Robillard, Maria Muldaur-Still jumpin the blues
The Best of the Nat King Cole trio
Louis Armstong Alumni-Rembering Louis

falty411

#2 Post by falty411 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:35 am

-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mark0tz

#3 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:37 am

Discs that just arrived:

Duke Ellington - The Duke at Fargo 1940 Special 60th Anniversary Edition
Wow. Fun listening. Really gives you a peek at what it was like to go to a dance where Duke Ellington was the band that night.

J.A.T.P - Tokyo: Live at the...
Great Listening, the ella stuff is good for ella stuff; it might be available elsehwere? I'm a big OP nut, some awesome stuff.

The Johnny Hodges All-Stars\Duke Ellington All-Stars\Billy Strayhorn All-Stars - Caravan
Need to give it a second listen. However, there were some cool recordings, and several ballads.

Artie Shaw - The Complete Gramercy Five Sessions
Interesting, and seemingly good for dancing, though I don't love the harpsichord.

Johnny Hodges - Passion Flower 1940-1946
I might have a lot of this stuff elsewhere... But Hodge Podge is prolly my fave.

Charlie Barnet - Those Swingin' Years
... Though Djangos sent me Slayer - Undisputed Attitude in the Barnet case)

Jimmie Lunceford - Swingsation
Like it... Nicely remastered... Nice track selection to compliment Lunceford Special.

Jay McShann - 1941-1943
Some great tunes. Swingamatism. Awesome hearing Charlie Parker solo for a swing band. However, a lot of the tracks in the middle of this disc are low energy small-combos that don't get me going... First few tracks and the last 5 or so tracks rock.

Erskine Hawkins - Tuxedo Junction
Ehh... Need to give it a second listen.

Lucky Millinder - Back Beats
Like most all of it. S'good to finally get a Lucky Millinder CD. Mills Blue Rhythm Band is next.
Last edited by mark0tz on Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Marcotte

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:42 am

fugoogady.

if the crap i had ordered would freaking ship, i'd be a happy man.

kalman

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:58 pm

Siesta at the Fiesta - Bennie Moten, Henry "Red" Allen
Harlem Big Bands - Charlie Johnson, Cecil Scott, Luis Russell, et. al.
Golden Years, Vol. 1 - Count Basie
Breakfast Dance and Barbeque - Count Basie
1929-1946 Andy Kirk & The 12 Clouds of Joy
Ella & Duke at the Cote D'azur - Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington
Tell It the Way It Is!/Cleopatra -- Feelin' Jazzy - Paul Gonsalves
1950-1951 - Johnny Hodges
Best of Big Bands - Will Bradley/Ray McKinley
The Best of the Capitol Years - Benny Goodman
...and a Duke Ellington album I can't remember off the top of my head.
Last edited by Swifty on Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matthew

#6 Post by Matthew » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:00 pm

mousethief wrote:if the crap i had ordered would freaking ship, i'd be a happy man.
I feel your pain. Still waiting on a couple from Amazon sellers.

Some of mine:

"The Best of Early Basie" - I love early recordings, but don't care too much for stuff from the '50s onward. This early stuff swings HARD!

"Diesel" by Hipster Daddy-O and the Handgrenades - one of my favorite neo-swing CDs. "The Perpetrator" is flat-out awesome! Very highly recommended!

"Golden Greats: Billie Holiday" - 73 tracks for $11.00. Looks like there are many more of these budget, though not poor-quality, sets. Liner notes would be nice, though.

"Rhythm is Our Business" by Duke Heitger and His Swing Band - most skillful of the modern bands I've heard. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more often. The tone still isn't like that of the original bands, but it's the closest I've heard from a CD.

BryanC

#7 Post by BryanC » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:14 pm

This place didn't have a listening station, but the CDs were cheap. I did pick up some big duds though.

1. Joe Sealy: Africville (which has some nice tracks. Unfortunately, they're also 10 minutes long)
2. Count Basie- Best of Basie Vol. 1
3. Art Blakey- Art Blakey
4. Charles Mingus- Mingus Dynasty (great jazz CD, not great dance appeal for the crowd out here)
5. Stephane Grappeli- Shades of Django
6. Thelonius Monk- The best of Thelonius Monk
7. Louis Prima with Keely Smith- Breaking it up!
8. Wes Montgomery- The best of Wes Montgomery
9. Pete Jacobs and his wartime radio review- Would you like to dance? (BIG dud)
10. Preservation Hall Jazz Band- Songs of New Orleans (Great CD set)
11. The Wild Rose All-Stars-That's a Plenty (also great CD, local to Calgary)

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:48 pm

Here's what I just bought:

Django Reinhardt and his american friends complete sessions - haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but per related thread it rocks
Rex Stewart and the Ellingtonians - recorded in '40 and '46 - excellent - I plan to buy more Rex Stewart, I really like him!
Count Basie - King of Swing - almost all tracks danceable
Jimmy Rushing - Every Day I have the Blues - recorded in '67 and '68 - great blues tracks, nice version of 'Sent for you Yesterday'
Duke Ellington - The Blanton-Webster Band - 3 disc set - per related thread most of you know this album - nice starter collection of early Ellington
Henry "Red" Allen and his New York Orchestra (1929-30) - didn't like it on first listen, but will keep trying
Duke Ellington and Ray Brown - This One's for Blanton - not very danceable but some amazing playing on the album.
Wynton Marsalis - Mr. Jelly Lord - awesome - thanks for the suggestion Reuben.

mark0tz

#9 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:05 am

djstarr wrote:Count Basie - King of Swing - almost all tracks danceable
Hrm, I'm going to have to go back and give this another listen. My recollection is that most of the tracks were slow, and almost lazy. Haven't played a song from it at a dance. I'll relisten to it tonight as a I do some chores.
Mike Marcotte

SirScratchAlot

#10 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:49 am

mark0tz wrote:
Hrm, I'm going to have to go back and give this another listen. My recollection is that most of the tracks were slow, and almost lazy. Haven't played a song from it at a dance. I'll relisten to it tonight as a I do some chores.
Yea , although "anything" is danceable , I certainly would spin anything from that CD....way to slow and lazy sounding.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Drew

#11 Post by Drew » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:45 am

Bennie Moten 1927-29, 1930-32
Pete Johnson 1942-43, 1943-45
Claude Hopkins 1940-42
The Legendary Buster Smith
Jazz Archives Don Byas
Jazz Archives Vic Dickenson
Charlie Barnet: Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie
The Classic Swing of Buck Clayton

djstarr

#12 Post by djstarr » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:38 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:
mark0tz wrote:
Yea , although "anything" is danceable , I certainly would spin anything from that CD....way to slow and lazy sounding.
ha - so I managed to find a bad Basie CD? I didn't think that was possible :o

Just finished the liner notes on King of Swing - 10 tracks; 7 are between 110 bpm and 127 bpm; one at 210, one at 250 ("Soft Drink" - my favorite song on the CD so far), one at 300 bpm.

The slow songs are low energy, especially compared to Atomic Swing, but I like the horn lines - especially in "Bubbles". Good for the first hour of the night when the newbies are out in force.

I haven't DJ'ed off the CD yet, but will try out a couple tonight and see what the reaction is.

lindyholic

#13 Post by lindyholic » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:17 pm

Here's my last 10 I bought

Willie Bryant and his Orchestra - Jazz Archives Vol. 53
Fletcher Henderson from the Ken Burn Jazz Series
Lucky Millinder - Chronological Classics 1947 - 1950
Jimmie Lunceford - Stomp It Off
Jimmie Lunceford - Lunceford Special
Count Basie - One O'Clock Jump
Artie Shaw - The Complete Grammercy 5 Recordings
Artie Shaw - Begin The Beguine
Count Basie's Best of Bluebird
Artie Shaw - Traffic Jam

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:42 pm

Charlie Shavers _Jazz Archives No203 The Amazing Trumpet of Mister Charlie 1937-1947
Count Basie _Basic Basie
Count Basie _Masterpieces 8
Ella Fitzgerald/Count Basie/Joe Williams _One O'clock Jump
Ella Fitzgerald _Ella returns to Berlin
Ella Fitzgerald _The Radio Years, 1940
Fletcher Henderson _Under The Harlem Moon
Horace Henderson _At The Trianon Ballroom
Keter Betts _Bass, Buddies, Blues & Beauty too
Maria Muldaur _Waitress In The Donut Shop
Nat Adderley _Branching Out
Peggy Lee _Miss Peggy Lee Sings the Blues
Sidney Bechet _The Fabulous Sidney Bechet
Various Artists _Apollo Theatre Stars
Various Artists _Birdland All-Stars at Carnegie Hall
Various Artists _Swing Bandstand Kings [Bluebird]
Various Artists _The Sullivan Years - Big Band All-Stars
Various Artists _Vocalion Swing Series 1928-36

Greg Avakian

#15 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:21 am

My main motovation is finding one or two tunes that nobody else has, so this not an exciting list. I also want to expand my slo blues collection so I quit playing Jimmie Witherspoon all the tmie! These are the ones I've catagorized so far from my last puchase:

1). Tenor Giants: Live Ben Webster -with Junior Mance, Bob Cranshaw and Micker rooker. DAMN! Hahaha! What a find! Plus Gene Ammons live in Sweeden. Awesome music, not so great for dancing.

2). Nina Simone: My baby just cares for me. The best Nina compilation for DJing Lindy and slo blues. I think I may have all the music except for The gal from Joe's and work song. It also has "Love me or leave me", "I loves you porgy" ('scuse me but I don't know whether to cum or cry), and of course MBJCFM.

3). Louis Keel: Coming out swinging. OK; long songs, I bought it for a good version of 'Frankie and Johnie'.

4). Helen Humes: And the Muse allstars. Not a huge HH fan, but I liked the slow, swingin' version of "I'm gonna move to the outskirts of town". Lot's of other good slo blues too.

5). Ben Webster: live in Amsterdam. Good slo blues and A nice bluesy Lindy. Who cares, the music is great.

6). Katherine Whalen: Jazz squad. I never had an album of hers and I thought she'd be too "neo". I love her voice and there are some great tunes to dance to. I'm so glad I listened to this and I will definitely spin some!

7). Basie: Kansas City suite. I don't like 60s+ basie much. This album is good as a DJ purchase, but the band sounds too "modern" (for me). With a CD like this, it's not as much what I'll play, but rather where I'd play it.

8). Charles Earland: I ain't jiviin', I'm jammin'. Snore. Leon Huff's version of the tittle song is great for westies. My bad.

9). Sidney Bechet and Claude Luter: Another great "Jazz in Paris" CD. Recorded in '48 & '49. I'm NOT a fan of Bechet, but at last year's ALHC Reuben played one (joke) good song and I ran up to ask what it was: Surprise! So I still don't really like Bechet (y'know, there's only so much vibrato-laden clarinet I can take), but this album is great! Many dancable tunes from OK to excellent!

10). Modern jazz quartet & friends: A celebration. Fun music to dance to, but lots of long songs. "Bag's groove" with Bobby McFarrin and gospel singers 'Take 6' closed the deal on this one.

11). Renee Lee: Dark divas. A recording of her cabaret show where Renee presents the works of her favorite female singers. Terrific CD with many swinging standards.