Digital Music Cataloguing/Management

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Surreal

#16 Post by Surreal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 am

I came across this one today: http://www.helium-music-manager.com/

I've never heard of it... has anyone used it before?

kitkat

#17 Post by kitkat » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:35 pm

I tried it before MediaMonkey and almost used it instead. There was one feature I didn't quite like, though now I can't remember what it was. Or maybe it was that I couldn't see if I liked it enough because I couldn't get a sense of the full version as easily. It was 3 years ago or more.

You know what I'm still dreaming of? Software where I can, like, drag one song onto another...or ctrl+click (select multiple) songs and somehow tell the cataloguing software, "These are all the same recording!" And then it'd ask me which tags I'd like to copy from the master over to the others, if there's any info I'd like to concatenate because I like what's in, say, two different versions' comments fields, etc.

Wow, that'd be nice. I feel like it's the most frequent thing I'd want to do w/ my collection.

Surreal

#18 Post by Surreal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:55 pm

If you have any degree of scripting skill, there's probably a way to do that in foobar.

JRiver allows you to do some pretty wacky tag manipulation once you figure out all their various operators. For example, I could select a bunch of songs, then in the tag editor select the comment field and type "=[genre] ([bpm])" or something like that and it would copy over all the relevant information into my comment field and look like "lindyhop (156)".

You can even append in a fashion, like if I type into the comment field "=[comment] [bpm]" it would keep the current comments and add the bpm to the end.