eMusic changes

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

eMusic changes

#1 Post by trev » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:37 am

It looks like a lot of changes have taken place with eMusic.com.

- Pricing structures have been changed so that you get less for more.
- If you live outside of US/Canada/UK/EU you can no longer join.
- Sony family of labels has been added for some territories (blue note etc)
- Tracks and albums can be designated "album only" (not purchased individually)
- Albums can be purchased at an "album price" of 12 credits. (great news if it's a 25 track album, bad news if it's a 4 track album-only!)

What this means to us?
- Emusic is not necessarily the same bargain it once was.
- More jazz and blues available
- Great discounts on offer on albums released by these jazz labels (and others).
  • JSP
    Complete Jazz Series
    Storyville
    Fantasy
    Hindsight
    Quadromania

All albums now 12 credits each, which works out to about US$.20 a track, depending on your plan.
- Too bad for your buddies in Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina... etc who were going to join but didn't.

Haydn

#2 Post by Haydn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 am

I've noticed they seem to be gradually increasing their prices. And Amazon mp3 downloads is SO much easier to use. But eMusic is still a lot cheaper.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I guess eMusic was not making any money, or not enough for the investors/shareholders. I think the changes are probably because they had to.

eMusic is a cheaper version of iTunes now.

The big thing, and this was not apparant a view weeks back when the changes were announced is that the "1 credit = 1 song" rule is gone. The typical Sony album is being priced at several credits less than the number of songs. I would expect to see more and more steep discounts on the obscure/indie side.

On the smaller label side, there are some tremendous differences out there if you peck around, I have seen 30 song albums for 12 credits, other albums (such as Maxine Sullivans Tribute to Andy Razaf) are using the old ratio, 14 songs = 14 credits, etc...

I need to go through my lists to see what albums are real values now.

Additionally, some of the most popular and significant jazz albums of all time have been included in the first batch. Nothing that was not on iTunes or Amazon, but still useful to have them in eMusic now.

straycat

#4 Post by straycat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:02 am

Interestingly, their subscription model doesn't appear to affect existing customers. I'm currently on a £15 ( around $24) a month subscription, and I get 90 downloads for that. If I signed up now, the same plan would get me 50 downloads for £18. On the other hand, I don't seem to be able to find any 12 credit albums. Maybe I'd need to be on a standard plan for that...

It's been quite a while since the kind of rates I currently enjoy have been available, and so far they haven't tried to force me onto a standard plan - long may that continue. I doubt it'll last for ever though.

Now if only they'd give us some decent search facilities...

russell

#5 Post by russell » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:22 pm

My plan has been retired - I used to get 60 downloads a month - now get 37 downloads for the same dollars :-(

trev

#6 Post by trev » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm

russell wrote:My plan has been retired - I used to get 60 downloads a month - now get 37 downloads for the same dollars :-(
And we (Australians) get double-shafted as we don't get access to the new Sony catalog! :cry:

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 pm

straycat wrote:Interestingly, their subscription model doesn't appear to affect existing customers.
As people's plans expire, they are being forced to convert to the basic model or whatever it is called. Mine automatically converts next week. But, I know of another DJ that has until Feb 2010. It all depends on how long a plan you bought and when you bought it.

Nathan

straycat

#8 Post by straycat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 am

Nate Dogg wrote:
straycat wrote:Interestingly, their subscription model doesn't appear to affect existing customers.
As people's plans expire, they are being forced to convert to the basic model or whatever it is called. Mine automatically converts next week. But, I know of another DJ that has until Feb 2010. It all depends on how long a plan you bought and when you bought it.

Nathan
OK - thanks. Funny thing is - I can't find any expiry date in my account info. The only date I can see is the refresh date. Do they have any plans wihout limits?

Haydn

#9 Post by Haydn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:42 am

straycat wrote:Funny thing is - I can't find any expiry date in my account info. The only date I can see is the refresh date. Do they have any plans wihout limits?
Same here. Mine says:

* eMusic Special Discount Basic
* Your monthly downloads: 40
* Plan Price: £6.39
* Refresh Date: Aug 3, 2009

And the FAQ says:

Q: How do eMusic subscriptions work?

A: It's pretty simple. Most eMusic plans work on a monthly (30 day) revolving basis. Every 30 days you receive downloads according to the plan you've chosen. Every 30 days your account is refreshed. Downloads do not rollover from one period to the next.

zzzzoom

#10 Post by zzzzoom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Huh. Mine have been rolling over . . ..

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Perhaps, the eMusic UK folks are not being forced to convert to a new plan. It is pretty clear when I check my account info, I convert to the new plan next week).

Nathan

straycat

#12 Post by straycat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Perhaps, the eMusic UK folks are not being forced to convert to a new plan.
I hope so. Realistically, I think sooner or later the price changes will catch up with us. I just hope it's later...

meadtastic

#13 Post by meadtastic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:37 pm

i don't know if it's still possible (some sites are funny like that), but i used to just do a google search restricted to the emusic domain for a specific version of a song. best way to go about it, imo.

Haydn

#14 Post by Haydn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:56 am

meadtastic wrote:i don't know if it's still possible (some sites are funny like that), but i used to just do a google search restricted to the emusic domain for a specific version of a song. best way to go about it, imo.
That's a good idea that I must try. It's ironic if some sites that some sites are easier to search via google than via the site itself.

dogpossum

#15 Post by dogpossum » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:53 pm

I didn't think I'd ever admit this, but the >12 song albums costing only 12 credits is a win for me. Sometimes I end up with albums of 24 songs for 12 credits.
Most of the jazznick albums I'm after atm are >12 songs (well, mostly) so it's working out great when I want to grab a mass of stuff by one artist. This is especially good with the Complete Jazz label (the one that's like Chron Classics) and JSP especially. Not sure how great it'll be once I've caught up on the artists I've been meaning to binge on. It's also frustrating that the Black and Blue label doesn't do this deal. :(

So far the changes have discouraged me from browsing on a song here and there - it feels like less of a bargain. Which is sad, because that's how I've been expanding my collection to new artists, particularly non-jazz artists...