Paul Whiteman - The Complete Capitol Recordings

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Paul Whiteman - The Complete Capitol Recordings

#1 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:07 am

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Capitol- ... B000008OEF

(Paul Whiteman was a pioneer of orchestral Jazz and pop in the 1920s. His influence dropped to almost nothing by the 30s and into the 40s, but his bands were always top flight and he hired the best musicians and Jazz men and paid them well and treated them well. His Paul Whiteman's Swing Wing small group sides in the latter 30s are his contribution to the Swing era on Decca.)

Great sound quality. Capitol had top sound right from their beginning in 1942.

Except for American in Paris and Rhapsody in Blue, these are all from 1942 - 1945.

*I don't think there has been a discussion of the famous Paul Whiteman/Billie Holiday recording of "TRAVELIN' LIGHT". A classic side with BH in top voice. She was billed as "Lady Day" on the original label b/c she was under contract to Columbia who obviously looked the other way. Don't know why she did the side, but it came out great.

1. I've Found a New Baby - modern and bouncy

2. Serenade in Blue - Martha Tilton sounding good

3. General Jumped at Dawn - lively and danceable

4. (I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo - great alternative to the Miller recording.

5. Trav'lin' Light - masterpiece! "Lady Day" on the vocal and two great trombone solos by Skip Layton

6. Old Music Master - great number with a hot trumpet, but the rhythm shifts back and forth in the song which might make it tough for dancers.

7. I'm Old Fashioned - Martha Tilton on an unreleased ballad side

8. You Were Never Lovelier - ballad w Fred Astaire clone

9. San - lively and it may be a recreation of Whiteman's 1920s recording b/c the arrangement is a 20s chart.

10. Wang Wang Blues - same as above

11. American in Paris - classic Gershwin - melodic, rhythmic and painless to listen to.

12. Rhapsody in Blue - It's the RIB, dudes! If you listen to 20th century American music from the 20s, 30s and 40s, this is a must.
Last edited by Eyeball on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haydn

Re: Paul Whiteman - The Complete Capitol Recordings

#2 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 am

Eyeball wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Capitol- ... B000008OEF

(Paul Whiteman was a pioneer of orchestral Jazz and pop in the 1920s. His influence dropped to almost nothing by the 30s and into the 40s, but his bands were always top flight and he hired the best musicians and Jazz men and paid them well and treated them well. His Paul Whiteman's Swing Wing small group sides in the latter 30s are his contribution to the Swing era on Decca.)

Great sound quality. Capitol had top sound right from their beginning in 1942.
Thanks for the recommendation John. I found online samples of some of the tracks on this collection:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... foxqrjldfe

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Good deal. They have the sound samples for the hotter numbers, but the Martha Tilton sides are good, too, just no Jazz.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#4 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 am

This one has more tracks, better restoration and actually has some Jazz numbers on it...

http://www.amazon.com/King-Jazz-1920-19 ... 974&sr=1-1

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:54 am

AlekseyKosygin wrote:This one has more tracks, better restoration and actually has some Jazz numbers on it...

http://www.amazon.com/King-Jazz-1920-19 ... 974&sr=1-1
Ya - but I was originally posting about the complete Capitol recordings CD to alert people of its contents and that it is out of print.

AlekseyKosygin

#6 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Not a problem, now there are TWO Paul Whiteman CD's to talk about! :D

zzzzoom

#7 Post by zzzzoom » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Eyeball wrote:I don't think there has been a discussion of the famous Paul Whiteman/Billie Holiday recording of "TRAVELIN' LIGHT".
http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/rama/CAP30-A.ram

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 am

zzzzoom wrote:
Eyeball wrote:I don't think there has been a discussion of the famous Paul Whiteman/Billie Holiday recording of "TRAVELIN' LIGHT".
http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/rama/CAP30-A.ram
Thanks for posting the link. Maybe some people will appreciate the recording.

AlekseyKosygin

#9 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 am

I just picked this up...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YYW8

It's made up symphonic orchestral recordings only and one of the reasons I purchased it was for "When Day is Done" which includes the verse which inspired Django Reinhardt to record his own version in '37...

zzzzoom

#10 Post by zzzzoom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:10 am

J-h:n

#11 Post by J-h:n » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm

I dj:d Paul Whiteman's 1928 "San" last night. It went down great, especially among the charleston dancers. He's way underappreciated.

Of course, being able to afford players like Bix and Tram helps.

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:03 pm

J-h:n wrote:I dj:d Paul Whiteman's 1928 "San" last night. It went down great, especially among the charleston dancers. He's way underappreciated.

Did you play the original or the 1945 Capitol re-make? Ate they really close, do you know?

#13 Post by J-h:n » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 am

Eyeball wrote:Did you play the original or the 1945 Capitol re-make? Ate they really close, do you know?
The original (the remastering I have has awesome sound quality for the period). I haven't heard the remake, so I couldn't say how close they are.

falty411

#14 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:45 pm

J-h:n wrote:I dj:d Paul Whiteman's 1928 "San" last night. It went down great, especially among the charleston dancers. He's way underappreciated.

Don't forget Jack Teagarden, Red McKenzie, Bing Crosby, Mildred Bailey, Joe Venuti, Bunny Berigan, and my personal favorite, one of the biggest pioneers of jazz guitar, Eddie Lang.

Money can buy somethings, like great music! Cab used money to his advantage in the same way.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

#15 Post by J-h:n » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:08 pm

falty411 wrote:Don't forget Jack Teagarden, Red McKenzie, Bing Crosby, Mildred Bailey, Joe Venuti, Bunny Berigan, and my personal favorite, one of the biggest pioneers of jazz guitar, Eddie Lang.
No way am I forgetting any of those guys. Eddie Lang rocks!

Trivia: You probably know that Eddie's real name was Salvatore Massaro (presumably changed to seem less of a wop), but did you know that when he recorded with blues guitarist Lonnie Johnson, he used the pseudonym Blind Willie Dunn (presumably to seem less of a honky)?
falty411 wrote:Money can buy somethings, like great music! Cab used money to his advantage in the same way.
Not to mention Duke (who earned most of his money from composition royalties and spent most of it on musicians' wages).