Scott Yanow writes : Why isn't jazz more popular

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:With a sparse few exceptions, it fits the the erroneous premise the Bill Haley was around before Louis Armstrong.

I think there are some decent selections and it's a fairly broad survey of jazz but the randomness of the selections detracts from the appeal. Having some sort of theme to the order like chronological, artists, style, instrument, etc. would probably make the music more appealing. Perhaps playing it in a coffee shop on random shuffle would de-randomize it a bit.
I think it is a nice over all selection of worthwhile pop, Jazz, big band and easy listening sides with a few other genres tossed it; i.e. Chet Atkins. Why they call it Jazz is a mystery. Why it is good coffee house music is also a mystery unless you just dont want jarring music while you drink coffee and chat or read?

Be interesting to count up the actual "Jazz" sides on there. I just counted maybe 12 sides that might be termed "Jazz" including pop items by Jazz people. Whatever!

Perhaps this is a new genre of music - "Coffee Jazz" which includes all sorts of other musics of all kinds! :idea:

"I'm into Coffee House Jazz". 8)

At a Swing dance -

Dancer - "Oh, Mr. Swing DJ! Can you play some Coffee House Jazz, please?"

SDJ - "What is CHJ?"

Dancer - "I thought you were a Swing DJ?? CHJ is Al Jarreau, Chet Atkins, Chet Baker, Chet Huntley, Perry Como and Rosemary Clooney!"

SDJ - "WTF?"

Hahahahaha!!!!

fredo

#17 Post by fredo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm

I would be surprised if anyone other than the record label that named that album would have any response to the term "coffee house jazz". It's a gimmick to sell CDs.

For example, I doubt anyone considers themselves to be into Ultra Lounge music, or would even consider that a genre, other than someone trying to sell something to people who don't know any better.

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Too late! It's out there...and defined!

http://www.wegotcoffee.com/music/index.php?id=107

"This is the perfect kind of music to listen to when enjoying a wicked good cappuccino or latte. Most of these recommended CDs are instrumental - some may have one or two tracks with vocals. It's the kind of music you listen to as background mood setting music. The more relaxing jazz has piano as the primary instrument. The more upbeat, yet still relaxing, jazz as saxaphone - usually has a more 'romantic jazz' feel to the music."

On campus concert brings coffeehouse jazz to RCC
http://media.www.viewpointsonline.org/m ... 8106.shtml

http://www.torrentreactor.net/find/coffee-house-jazz

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

Re: Scott Yanow writes : Why isn't jazz more popular

#19 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
Scott Yanow wrote:Here is to the 92nd year of jazz's golden age!
Weird... he mentions the REAL reason Jazz isn't more popular, yet it's not even in his list. haha
What list?

I like the article, all you need to do to know that Mr. Yanow knows his Jass is to nerd out on allmusic.com and read his reviews of the many CD's that many of the users of this board probably own...

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:47 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:
I like the article, all you need to do to know that Mr. Yanow knows his Jass is to nerd out on allmusic.com and read his reviews of the many CD's that many of the users of this board probably own...
Ya - It doesn't mean he is always right, though, or that his opinions are not open to discussion. Different perspectives can be illuminating.

That's why I made the first post. He ventured some theories that I thought were interesting to consider.

Mr Awesomer

#21 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:28 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:
Mr Awesomer wrote:
Scott Yanow wrote:Here is to the 92nd year of jazz's golden age!
Weird... he mentions the REAL reason Jazz isn't more popular, yet it's not even in his list. haha
What list?

The list I quoted from... from within John's initial post.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#22 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:54 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:
What list?
My original post formatted badly from the source material.

I have gone and italicized SY's lst.
Will big bands ever come back?

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#23 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
AlekseyKosygin wrote:
Mr Awesomer wrote: Weird... he mentions the REAL reason Jazz isn't more popular, yet it's not even in his list. haha
What list?

The list I quoted from... from within John's initial post.
Gotcha, I thought there was a "must haves" list on his website that I wasn't seeing...

Eyeball

#24 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 pm

http://www.scottyanow.com/

His comments as I posted are at the bottom of the page.

He might have added that the wordless form of most Jazz (meaning no lyrics) does not appeal to non-music minded people.

caab

#25 Post by caab » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07 pm

fredo wrote:
For example, I doubt anyone considers themselves to be into Ultra Lounge music, or would even consider that a genre, other than someone trying to sell something to people who don't know any better.
Paging Frankie Hagan...

caab

#26 Post by caab » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:17 pm

Jazz is such a broad term to describe so many variants. A person's percption of jazz is often personal, and ranges from our perception (which is arguably broad), to those smoky coffeehouse musicians, to (God forbid) someone like Kenny G. It's no wonder the public is lost because jazz has so many identities. I wouldn't say that I like everything under the jazz umbrella, but I've been exposed to more jazz that the average human.

Someone posted earlier that music is not important to a lot of people. I would agree with that statement, although it took 27 years to find someone in my circle of friends who felt that way - and it blew me away. I was trying to describe something important and used the example of "your favorite band coming to town." I got a blank stare. I think this is the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, but somewhere in the middle is your average Joe and Jane who turn the radio on and wait for the music to be delivered or walk into a Starbucks and might notice some "neat" music playing. I can't even relate to this, so I'm going to stop talking about it. ;)

Eyeball

#27 Post by Eyeball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 am

caab wrote:
Someone posted earlier that music is not important to a lot of people.
That was me. Sounded like something I would remark upon. Now you know it is true.

Close to that is people who like any kind of music......and they really do like any kind of music. Like if you said - "I like anything with chocolate in it. And you are just as happy eating Count Chocula as you would be eating Godiva Chocolates (or whatever). It's chocolate. You'll never really know or care nough that some is better than others or even that you like one a bit more b/c you are not taking the time to savor the chocolate. You're just happy to have chocolate.

Grim, isn't it? :) (You have to speak that like Jerry Colonna.)

zzzzoom

#28 Post by zzzzoom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:54 pm

caab wrote:
fredo wrote:
Paging Frankie Hagan...
HAHA!

Good one, Laura!