Django Reinhardt

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Django Reinhardt

#1 Post by Matthew » Sat May 31, 2003 12:55 pm

For the next installment of our "artists series," I'd like to discuss Django Reinhardt.

I know little about him, aside from a basic bio from some liner notes. I enjoy his music (I may be addicted to "Minor Swing"), but I find that DJs don't play it very often here in the Tampa Bay area.

What do you think about his music? Also, what are your favorite Django CDs?

Drew

#2 Post by Drew » Sat May 31, 2003 3:23 pm

"In my opinion, of the top ten jazz guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" --Rex Stewart

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Sat May 31, 2003 7:36 pm

I love Django... and have recently been listening to his music much more... I have two reasons for it too:

1. It's just great music
2. Everytime I try dancing to his stuff I get off beat. I think I've figured out that it's because I'm listening *too* much to his guitar work, which makes me lose concentration (on dance)... i'm not a good multitasker I guess.

Someone wanna post some links to a bio... I could use some more info about him beyond the standard few lines in all liner notes :P

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Sat May 31, 2003 7:58 pm

I found a biography that is more thorough than what's in liner notes:

http://www.djangomontreal.com/doc/DjangoStory.htm

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Sat May 31, 2003 11:04 pm

He rules.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:30 pm

Matthew wrote:I found a biography that is more thorough than what's in liner notes:

http://www.djangomontreal.com/doc/DjangoStory.htm
Thanks man. I've been downloading all the Django stuff on Emusic this weekend. :)

SpuzBal

#7 Post by SpuzBal » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:35 am

While it's not actually Django playing (his son, Babik, plays on a couple tracks though), this CD is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Roy

#8 Post by Roy » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:33 pm

I just heard some of his stuff playing with Benny Carter live recordings in 1938. Wow, amazing. No, I just have to find these out of print CD's with him and Benny Carter.

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:50 am

Roy wrote:I just heard some of his stuff playing with Benny Carter live recordings in 1938. Wow, amazing. No, I just have to find these out of print CD's with him and Benny Carter.
there's a couple of songs with benny carter (and coleman hawkins) on his All Star Sessions cd. Image

SirScratchAlot

#10 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:57 am

I spin stuff off the Dickie Wells and Bill Coleman sessions almost everytime I spin. masterpeices...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Swifty

#11 Post by Swifty » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:39 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:there's a couple of songs with benny carter (and coleman hawkins) on his All Star Sessions cd. Image
I play "Honeysuckle Rose" of this CD quite a bit, I picked it up on a whim, I really like it.

SpuzBal

#12 Post by SpuzBal » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:18 pm

This set has all of the recordings on the "All Star Sessions" disc, as well as Dickie Wells and Bill Coleman recordings and some live bootlegs and broadcasts.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:58 am

Swifty wrote: I play "Honeysuckle Rose" of this CD quite a bit, I picked it up on a whim, I really like it.
yeah, that's a sweet version. i'm gonna have to check out that boxset Spuzbal posted. i really like that the recording quality on those sessions are good too.

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:54 am

in the perfect world , all swing SWING DJ'S would play Django....

unfortunatly most swing djs never even heard of him much less would play him...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Lawrence

#15 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:15 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:in the perfect world , all swing SWING DJ'S would play Django....

unfortunatly most swing djs never even heard of him much less would play him...
Not this again.... :roll:

In a perfect world, real SWING DJs would play great NEW music and leave Django for an interesting history lesson about what people USED to dance to. :P
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com