Different tango/other music?? and help with a song.

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

swingDoll

Different tango/other music?? and help with a song.

#1 Post by swingDoll » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 am

Hey, so I've been searching the previously made topics and I haven't been able to find what I've been looking for so I hope it is alright that I made a new thread.

I go to a little place on Tue. nights that has swing dancing. They have a lesson first and then play music for a couple of hours. Anyways, they mainly play swing music, but they also play a few waltzs, tangos, and an occasional cha cha. There is a song that they played that is really bugging me. I want to know what it is very badly! My friends danced a tango to it, and I believe it started out with a definite beat. It was not traditional/classical tango music I don't think. It was sung by a woman (in English), and in the chorus (I think) she sings something that sounds like saaay or staaay. I wish I knew more but I don't. If anyone knows what song this is or thinks they do I would LOVE to find out.

And part 2: Would anybody list music they like that is newer (don't get me wrong I love older swing music) but right now I am looking for some new stuff, like made in the 2000s or up would be nice. But go ahead and share anything you would like. I personally like the song, Murder He Says - Tori Amos. Thanks in advance. :)

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am

for the tango one, your best bet is to ask whomever was dj'ing that night.

as for "'murder' he says": you know that's an old song, right? anita o'day sang it in '42 and dinah shore some time in the 50's, i think. are you looking for new renditions of old jazz, or for new-new stuff?

perhaps the duke heitger cd "rhythm is our business" would be worth your while. you can check it out on emusic and itunes. it's from 2000 and includes a version of "'murder' he says".

fwiw, the tori amos version doesn't make me think "swing!" at all. it makes me think "bob fosse!"--which is fine, of course, but perhaps you want to look at more broadway type stuff, like the soundtrack (either film or broadway acst) of "chicago". terrible for lindy, but it has the same feel (and, hey, it includes a tango!).

swingDoll

#3 Post by swingDoll » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:41 am

as for "'murder' he says": you know that's an old song, right? anita o'day sang it in '42 and dinah shore some time in the 50's, i think. are you looking for new renditions of old jazz, or for new-new stuff?
Yes I know its an old song :) but the Tori Amos version is newer. I believe it was also sung by Betty Hutton? in the 40's? I think. I guess I would like new renditions of old stuff, but I would also like to hear some "new-new" stuff.

Haha, and yes I guess murder he says doesn't remind me the most of swing but I like it anyway.

hmm not sure about the Chicago soundtrack. I started watching that movie and got a little bit farther than the cell block tango and so far hadn't liked a lot of it. But I might have to check out the duke heitger cd. That sounds like it might be nice.

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:12 am

The "tango" song makes me think of Gotan Project (they mix tango with modern elements). Whether or not they were the performers, you should check them out. Also, are you sure the song wasn't a version of "Sway?"

I agree completely with the Duke Heitger recommendation.

Cyrano de Maniac

#5 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:11 am

Exactly what Matthew said. My first thought was Sway, probably the version done by the Pussycat Dolls, though honestly I prefer Dean Martin's rendition.

As far as the Gotan Project, I'm guessing their big hit was Santa Maria which was played during one of the dance scenes in Shall We Dance? (Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez). I've never been to a tango dancing event, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Santa Maria is viewed with the same level of respect in that community as Christine Aguilera's Candyman is in ours -- nice that it gets newbies on the floor, but bad in that it's not at all authentic (whatever that loaded term may mean).

Brent

swingDoll

#6 Post by swingDoll » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:14 pm

Yes, I've heard a little of Gotan Project ( I really like Santa Maria). I am fairly positive that the song is not Sway. I do like that song though. Haha, and I've heard the Pussycat Dolls version and its not that. I've emailed the DJ but he hasn't written back. I really want to know what that song was. It was very moving, very exciting, made me want to tango. hahaha.

Haydn

#7 Post by Haydn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:09 pm

swingDoll wrote:Yes, I've heard a little of Gotan Project ( I really like Santa Maria). I am fairly positive that the song is not Sway. I do like that song though. Haha, and I've heard the Pussycat Dolls version and its not that. I've emailed the DJ but he hasn't written back. I really want to know what that song was. It was very moving, very exciting, made me want to tango. hahaha.
Can you give more clues? What song or artist was it like?

J-h:n

#8 Post by J-h:n » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:53 am

Sorry for de-railing the thread, but yep, Betty Hutton did what I think is the definitive version of Murder, he Says". Check her out here.

swingDoll

#9 Post by swingDoll » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Ok, I got up the nerve and asked the DJ what the song was.

I was sure it was in Englilsh, but it was loud etc. so here it is:

Pa Bailar - Bajofondo

Haydn

#10 Post by Haydn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

swingDoll wrote:Ok, I got up the nerve and asked the DJ what the song was.

I was sure it was in Englilsh, but it was loud etc. so here it is:

Pa Bailar - Bajofondo
Thanks for coming back with the answer. I've just listened to it. Modern commercial latin-style dance music; I liked it, but I couldn't hear any vocal.

swingDoll

#11 Post by swingDoll » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:22 am

Oh! You have to listen to it with the vocals. Here this has the album cover and everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMPSSvO ... re=related

Yep, no problem. It was the least I could do :)

Haydn

#12 Post by Haydn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 am

swingDoll wrote:Oh! You have to listen to it with the vocals. Here this has the album cover and everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMPSSvO ... re=related

Yep, no problem. It was the least I could do :)
Yes, the vocal version is better. I found some clips with dancing ...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjV1A_BmTk

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h2462nIpT0Y

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Srtp1aR7URw